PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky finished his thru hike on PCT

SQUEAKY
07-25-2005, 04:18
Hi guys, just a quite note to let you know Squeaky has now finished his thru hike on the PCT. He has completed this in 81 days 8 1/2 hrs and finished on Sunday the 24th July at 2.30 in the afternoon. He is now resting for a day, then he will be starting the CDT on Wednesday for his second leg of his attempt for the 'Triple Crown' this year. He sounds in fantastic shape and form, and still has a wicked sense of humour. Thanks to everyone with all their good wishes, and to all the people who gave lifts into and out of towns for his re-supplies etc., :clap Around of appaulse to you Matthew from all your family.

TOW
07-25-2005, 06:35
good show....keep us updated

Nean
07-25-2005, 12:31
The "recognized" record belongs to Squeaky! Lets hope he isn't one of those that think faster = better than others. Enjoy the Divide

Lone Wolf
07-25-2005, 12:35
That "record" won't last long. In about 2 weeks David Horton will have it. 64 days or so.

Nean
07-25-2005, 13:23
The man can run. That "record" might last a bit longer. I imagine one was assisted and the other wasn't. I was a runner before I was a hiker, endorphins are a beautiful thang and I don't mind folks who do the trail for different reasons. I'm with the old local out west who was commenting on the then recent influx of wealthy Californians in his community. He said the people wern't the problem, it was their (elitist) attitude. Seems thats the case for most anything. I have a dream....

tlbj6142
07-25-2005, 13:37
That "record" won't last long. In about 2 weeks David Horton will have it. 64 days or so.Isn't David's a "supported" hike, whereas Squeaky's is self-supported?

Spirit Walker
07-25-2005, 13:55
What happened to the woman who was hoping to set an unsupported record this year? She was also a LD runner. Did she ever start or did she decide to wait for a less snowy year?

Nean
07-25-2005, 14:00
Squeaky will recieve an autographed straight jacket to note the distinction. Kidding aside, solo and supported are different. So is a hair to be split or do they each have a hair? :datz

Mags
07-25-2005, 15:54
What happened to the woman who was hoping to set an unsupported record this year? She was also a LD runner. Did she ever start or did she decide to wait for a less snowy year?

She decided to do something on the JMT this year instead..IIRC it was some kind of JMT double yo yo attempt.

Mags
07-25-2005, 15:56
Isn't David's a "supported" hike, whereas Squeaky's is self-supported?

Yep.

Two different balls of wax to say the least.

I am waiting for the "record" attempt of the CDT. :)

(I say this because a) I know someone will attempt it sooner or later b) there is no real official trail to set a record on.! :D)

SQUEAKY
07-25-2005, 16:47
Good on the guy, but is this the guy that is doing it supported, this is what I have heard, not really recognised in the hiker world .:confused:

That "record" won't last long. In about 2 weeks David Horton will have it. 64 days or so.

Lone Wolf
07-25-2005, 16:57
Supported. Unsupported. Big deal. He's traveling by foot on a hiking trail. He's recognized in my hiking world.
Hikers who hitch hike to towns, slackpack, taking days off staying in hostels and such shouldn't be "recognized" either. They're supported too.

Mags
07-25-2005, 17:07
Supported. Unsupported. Big deal. He's traveling by foot on a hiking trail. He's recognized in my hiking world.
Hikers who hitch hike to towns, slackpack, taking days off staying in hostels and such shouldn't be "recognized" either. They're supported too.

In any case it is only hiking. Just enjoy the journey. Do it fast. Do it slow. This year's record is tomorrow's footnote. When it is all said and done it is if you enjoyed te journey or not.

There is no "real" reconignition body in any case. It ain't the Boston marathon,

just my .02 worth...

Nean
07-26-2005, 01:13
I'll remember the Squeakys, the Wards, the Shadows (80 days unsupported), but it won't matter to most 'cause folks really don't care how.

Scott Willaimson hiked the Divide in 3 months/ 3 weeks.
Good luck on being the first to hike 2 end to end Squeaky!

Sly
07-26-2005, 08:38
Looking forward to an update on Squeaky's journal....

SQUEAKY
07-26-2005, 15:41
[Cheers Sly for your interest. Squeaky will send me (his mum) his audio tapes asap and then I will finish the PCT journal before starting one for the CDT. I believe they make interesting reading. So when you see anything from Squeaky it is only me updating the system. :)

QUOTE=Sly]Looking forward to an update on Squeaky's journal....[/QUOTE]

Ridge
07-27-2005, 01:03
Seems the record snows in the Sierra's didn't have any effect. Congratulations on a successful PCT completion.