PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes pole problems

Namtrag
06-24-2013, 10:32
We have a Big Agnes Jack Rabbit SL2 tent. We have used it only 3 times. Yesterday we set it up in the back yard to let it air out, and when we were taking it down, one of the shock cords had retracted into the tent pole. It was a bitch getting it out, and when we did, we discovered that the head of the black plug that you loop the cord around in the hub had broken, thus allowing the tension to pull the cord back through into the pool.

Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else, and also wondering why BA would use such a crappy method to hold the cord on a $300 tent.

We ended up fixing it ourselves by pulling the cord out, taking the remains of the black plug off, and feeding it back through to the hub, where we used a steel nut to block it from retracting again. We need the tent next week, so cannot send the poles back for them to repair right now.

Hopefully BA will help us out, but we are already looking at getting another tent as a backup, because if one of the black plugs has already done this, chances are the other ones will too.

Drybones
06-24-2013, 12:48
IMO...most tent makers make UL gear lighter by cheapening the materials, IE thinner poles, plastic replaces metal, etc. I have an REI Quarterdome that the poles have broken twice, I can make it work but must be careful (not a vitue of mine). I like the way Tarptent and some others have lightened tents by engineering them differently.

Namtrag
06-24-2013, 12:56
Yeah, I can see that, DB. We don't even have the UL version, we have the "super light" version, and we still had an issue.

There is no excuse for using a black plastic grommet or whatever that thing is called. It should be some sort of metal. Basically it is like those plastic things used to hold a door panel on in a car, but it has a loop coming off of it to wind your cord through instead of a screw. No wonder it broke. Lots of tension on a pencil eraser diameter piece of plastic is not a good design.

Namtrag
06-24-2013, 17:01
Props to BA! They have agreed to make repairs on my poles as a warranty item.