PDA

View Full Version : Question about ordering a Tarptent Notch

stilllife
06-24-2013, 12:18
I just was in the process of ordering a Notch and I was surprised by the options to order it with mesh interior or partial solid or both. I could not find info on the website to explain this. Will someone explain it to me. Thanks.

Also put in my order for a Mountain Laurel Designs Solo with interior net, so that I can compare the two and send one back.

Malto
06-24-2013, 12:26
I would check what effect custom options have on your ability to return.

topshelf
06-24-2013, 14:01
a quick google image search will answer your questions

jeffmeh
06-24-2013, 14:38
At http://www.tarptent.com/notch.html, hover your mouse over the picture with the solid walls, and it says, "Optional partial solid interior (adds 1 ounce) for cold winds or blowing dust." On the Q&A tab it also recommends it for snow.

The mesh will provide more ventilation and hence reduce condensation. The partial solids will block wind, dust, and snow, and provide more warmth.

4Bears
06-24-2013, 15:05
From my past experience send them an email, last time for me the turn around was about 10 minutes, or if you want a personal touch call them. If you have questions go to the source, always seems to work for me.

Drybones
06-24-2013, 15:54
Call Henry Shires at Tarptent and get his input. I'd be up front with him and tell him you may return it if you like the other tent better, doubt that he'll care, looks like a good way for him to get good product info. Please let us know what you chose and why...good info for others looking to purchase.

Drybones
06-24-2013, 15:56
Call Henry Shires at Tarptent and get his input. I'd be up front with him and tell him you may return it if you like the other tent better, doubt that he'll care, looks like a good way for him to get good product info. Please let us know what you chose and why...good info for others looking to purchase.

BTW, I called Henry when I was looking at tent for thru hiking and he guided me to the Notch...no regrets, love it...I would get the 8" stakes tho.

Franco
06-26-2013, 01:26
he "solid" (fabric) inner looks like this :

(4th photo in the slide show under the main photo in the Notch product page)
note that the top 1/3rd is mesh.
If you are in an area that has a lot of cold wind or sand, the solid inner will offer more protection.
The mesh has better air flow .

Drybones
06-26-2013, 10:09
he "solid" (fabric) inner looks like this :

(4th photo in the slide show under the main photo in the Notch product page)
note that the top 1/3rd is mesh.
If you are in an area that has a lot of cold wind or sand, the solid inner will offer more protection.
The mesh has better air flow .

I'm sure there is an application for the solid version but I haven't seen it. If I'm in a heavy rain with wind I lower the hiking poles which puts the fly close to the ground. Main reason I went with the Notch was good ventilation and it appears to me the solid version would reduce that.

stilllife
06-28-2013, 12:26
My brainfreeze unfroze and I got it ordered. Also ordered the zpacks solo and MLD solo. Cant wait to compare them. Though I am fond of having to vestibules.

Drybones
06-28-2013, 13:16
One thing I really like about the Notch...take a section of cord about 8" long and put a loop in each end and put a carabiner in one end and put the other end over your hiking tip when you set up, hang your pack from the cord to keep it off the ground. Having two doors, you can hang swing the pack in and out of one door to get stuff/put stuff in. This is helpful for me since I always need to get my pack after I crawl in the bag, normally more than once.

Another Kevin
07-01-2013, 05:16
I'm sure there is an application for the solid version but I haven't seen it. If I'm in a heavy rain with wind I lower the hiking poles which puts the fly close to the ground. Main reason I went with the Notch was good ventilation and it appears to me the solid version would reduce that.

In a word: snow. I travel a fair amount in the "shoulder season", which around here means wet snow, cold rain and wind. That half-enclosed inner looks one heck of a lot warmer than just cinching down the rain fly.

GrumpyOne
07-03-2013, 08:31
One thing I really like about the Notch...take a section of cord about 8" long and put a loop in each end and put a carabiner in one end and put the other end over your hiking tip when you set up, hang your pack from the cord to keep it off the ground. Having two doors, you can hang swing the pack in and out of one door to get stuff/put stuff in. This is helpful for me since I always need to get my pack after I crawl in the bag, normally more than once.

I saw you post this elsewhere just before deciding to order my Tarptent Notch. Great suggestion and it works perfect for keeping my pack out of the dirt and easy access.

Thanks for posting.

jw

stilllife
07-07-2013, 11:20
I received the MLD Solo Mid with inner net yesterday. I'm still waiting on the Notch. I really want to like the Solo but it may not work for me. First my Black Diamond Distance hiking poles only extend to 130cm and the site recommends 140cm. That probably has something to do with my difficulties. I cannot get the poles to remain taught under the tent. If I adjust one it loosens the other to the point of almost falling down. Because the poles are short I have to bring the bottoms in closer which creates less space on the floor and less headroom.
Any suggestions on this. I do not want to have to add the 6" tubes that MLD provides because this is just another puzzle piece that I do not want to have to deal with.
I have not even attempted the inner net. I really wish I had better instructions or a good video which explains all of this. There are 4 plastic hooks on bungee cord in the bag and I do not know what these are for. I cut the 4 pieces of rope for the stakes to 18" as the instructions said. I still have 10' or more of rope left. Someone help please! Even when I get the correct pitch on this tent it still may end up being too small for my likes.

Ezra
07-07-2013, 12:33
Could you lay a rock under each pole handle to raise them?

jeffmeh
07-07-2013, 12:36
Borrow or buy a long enough set of poles and see if you like the tent with those.