PDA

View Full Version : looking for texas a.t.ers to be

johnny quest
07-25-2005, 10:14
im a hopeful class of 2008 and i would like to find other hikers in texas with a.t. on the brain. i think it would be cool to get a loose group together for "training trips"

Hillbilly
07-25-2005, 12:24
Am going on my first section-hike with my teenage son on the 1st of August through the 12th, hopefully from Roan Mountain, TN, to Mt. Rogers, VA. Will relay my experiences to you when I get back - hillbilly

johnny quest
07-25-2005, 12:25
where are you at in texas?

rhjanes
07-25-2005, 13:59
where are you at in texas?
his profile says Hotuston.....

I'd reply in the afirmative, but my date is more like 2015.....

JimSproul
07-25-2005, 15:58
You got one here in Dallas!!

johnny quest
07-25-2005, 16:19
cool. is there a club or loose affiliation of folks who go on training hikes or compare gear...with an eye to thruhiking the at? i do as many multiday hikes as i can through out the year and am looking for others witht he same goal

Meadow Creek
07-25-2005, 16:40
Let me know if you ever make over to NM for a trip... I'm in Albuquerque.

johnny quest
07-25-2005, 16:45
im all about that! here in texas you got to drive a ways just to get a good meal sometimes. so a 6 or more hour drive to find a good 4 to 8 day hike is ok with me.

Jack Tarlin
07-25-2005, 19:04
John and Jim:

Mountain Dew lives just south of Dallas and will be home this fall and winter. He's on the Trail right now on his second thru (first was 2003) , but I'm sure he'll be very happy to correspond or met with you guys this fall or winter; he also works for an Outfitter so he's a good guy to go to for gear questions, problems, etc. Anyway, contact him here by Private Message and I'm sure he'll get back to you at the first opportunity.

HikerHobo
07-26-2005, 10:27
Fort Worth rocks ....

The only good thing that
comes out of Dallas is
"Interstate 20 west.

johnny quest
07-26-2005, 10:39
ummm.....amen i guess. not sure what the point of that was but being from little old dublin im not going to get into that turf war. anyway....if anyone in texas wants to start talking about some training hikes or some gear testing....let me know

Heater
07-26-2005, 10:46
ummm.....amen i guess. not sure what the point of that was but being from little old dublin im not going to get into that turf war. anyway....if anyone in texas wants to start talking about some training hikes or some gear testing....let me know
Dublin!

Are you a "Pepper"? :)

(I think Dublin is the home of the oldest Dr. Pepper plant)

P.S. Austin here.

Heater
07-26-2005, 10:56
Fort Worth rocks ....

The only good thing that
comes out of Dallas is
"Interstate 20 west.
...and the Cowboys...

Used to be a car commercial that would air when I was a kid living in Richardson.
(North Dallas)

The jingle went something like this,

"at the bottom of my heart
there a red and blue tattoo
saying foooort wooorth I loooove you"

Still sticks in my mind all these years later. :o

johnny quest
07-26-2005, 10:56
it sure is. that is where i work. so if we ever got an a.t. group together for training hikes or the like....we would have plenty of sweet nectar at the end of the trail. anybody interested in doing the caprock canyon trail once the weather breaks?

JimSproul
07-26-2005, 11:07
....besides I20 really goes to Weatherford, NOT Fort Worth!

Hey Jack -

Yep, I have exchanged note with Mountain Dew in the past. In fact I just bought a Kayak from his former employeer.

Meadow Creek -

I am cooking for a Trail Crew in the Santa Fe Nation Forest for the CDTA this weekend! We will zip right by you.

All -

I have made to drive to the AT & Springer a couple of times in the last few years. Work is keeping me closer to home these days. I have adopted a section of the Ouchita Trail near Mena, AR. Only about 4 hours from Dallas. Very pretty country, but much HOTTER than the Appalachians.

I did a work weekend with the Friends of the Ouchita Trail last spring, nice folks, pretty country. www.friendsot.org

Anybody try one of the Texas Trailways yet? I have a friend that has hiked the Caprock Trailway out near Childress. She said it was pretty but that is a long drive, and there is little water.

I would certainly but up for a gathering of some type. Their are several former through hikers in this area. They might like to sit in.

Heater
07-26-2005, 11:08
it sure is. that is where i work. so if we ever got an a.t. group together for training hikes or the like....we would have plenty of sweet nectar at the end of the trail. anybody interested in doing the caprock canyon trail once the weather breaks?
So you are about as much of a "pepper" as one can get! :D

I'm just able to do day hikes now close to home but I was thinking about a trip to Big bend instead of my usual saltwater fishing trip in the fall.

trailsnail
07-26-2005, 11:12
I've been section hiking the trail with my daughter. We live in the Dallas area. We started in Georgia a few years ago and try to do a week each year. We did a week in the Smokeys over the July 4th week. Thru hiking is on my to-do list, not sure when... I'm always looking for places closer to home for practice hikes. Any suggestions?

johnny quest
07-26-2005, 11:20
the caprock canyon hike is pretty cool. i did it three years ago and at that time we were still one of the first 100 thru hikers and got a cool patch and certificate. it would be fun to go with a group. it is a 4 to 6 day hike depending on your pace. when i went we cached water but there are two towns that you go thru that you can get water at. i would love to go again with a like minded group

JimSproul
07-26-2005, 11:34
Trailsmail -

Northwest Arkansas has a lot to offer. In the Ouachitas or the Ozarks. I thru hike of the Ouahita Trail is about 225 miles but best in winter. You can get to the western end with just a few hours drive from Dallas up through Paris, Texas. It's not the AT but it ain't flat!

johnny quest
07-26-2005, 11:41
im all for it! i would love to hike the ot! lets get a group, pick a date, and designate some vehicles for pick up! im there!!!!!

JimSproul
07-26-2005, 11:54
The underbrush grows like a jungle out there. I understand their recommendation to hike in the fall or winter. I did 3 days earlier this month and was bushwacking from blaze to blaze for a good deal of the time. There are some issue about water on some sections. I was there in the spring and it was a beautiful hike.

How about a long weekend this fall, 20 - 30 miles from Oklahoma over the The Queen Wilhelmena Lodge, www.queenwilhelmina.com, drive up Saturday AM, hike Sat, Sun Mon, big meal at the lodge (they have showers at the camp ground!) then less than 4 hours back to Dallas Monday night. ??????

johnny quest
07-26-2005, 12:07
that sounds great. it would be wonderful to meet other at hikers in training or those with some at experience, see other folks gear, techniques and such. i can go just about anytime as long as i have time to give the job notice

rhjanes
07-26-2005, 12:15
We just passed thru and stopped at Dublin DP, 7-2-2005. Got there at 4:30, had fountain drinks, bought t-shirts and 5 cases of DP......

you might find this Phoon interesting.

http://www.phoons.com/drpepper1.html

JimSproul
07-26-2005, 12:31
What about Thanksgiving Weekend. We do Thursday with the kin folk, then meet up in the mountains Friday morning, back to civilization on late Sunday afternoon?

It is in their Bear / Deer mondern gun season but the OT, in its western sections travels through a number of designated wilderness areas. We would need to mark packs and people with orange but the temps should be good.

I would have at least two, I have a daughter that is a hiker, perhaps one of my sons if his school schedule permits.

I will be going up for a work weekend in September to clear my section. I always have an extra brush hook!

johnny quest
07-26-2005, 12:37
that sounds good to me.
what does the section maintenance entail?

Mountain Dew
07-26-2005, 16:00
If you guys want to find more info on Texas hiking then google it and see what happens. I have found tons of info while doing the same thing. Texas' longest trail is the Lonestar Trail. The trail is 123 miles long and is in the Houston area. The trail has a good website and all that you'd need to know is on the site. Glad to see you bought a boat from Mountain Sports Jim. I'm guessing a guy named Steve helped you out on that. Those people are all class acts at that outfitters. Hey Trailsnail....email me if you want some info on hiking trails in and around the DFW area. I know a few that aren't listed online etc. Cedar Hill state park being one of them. Take care my fellow Texans !!!

johnny quest
07-26-2005, 16:18
i think it would be great for you thru hikers to give a talk or slide show or puppet show sometime in our area. there was someone gave one at the rei in austin a year or two back and i missed it. it would be really beneficial to us maids in waiting

HikerHobo
07-26-2005, 16:55
anybody interested in doing the caprock canyon trail once the weather breaks?Actually there are two trails out there.

The Caprock Canyon Trailway: About 65 miles long. It starts
near the town of Estelline and runs southwest to the town of Quitaque.
Very nice in the fall after the summer heat and before the cold nights
move in. This was my first long distance hike. There are lots of
trail heads along the route, so it's easy to cache water and snacks.
Carrying lots of water is not necessary which is rare for a Texas
hike. While you are driving thru stashing water, stop in Turkey, Texas
for lunch. The home of Bob Wills.

The Caprock Canyon State Park Trail: Have done this 6 mile trail
many times. Like to pack up the south face and stealth camp near
Fern Falls; great place with good water up there. The south face is
a steep and dangerous climb with a heavy pack. There is a beautiful
flat landing about a third of the way up with a view of the canyon
down below. Really nice place to hang out.

But man, is it going to be HOT as heck out there this time of year.

And by the way, Jim, Interstate 20 and Interstate 30 go right thru
Fort Worth. I 20 runs south of the downtown area. Right by Hulen
Mall. The town of Weatherford is west of Fort Worth. You would have
to drive a 100 miles out of your way to go from Dallas to Weatherford
without going thru Fort Worth.

JimSproul
07-27-2005, 06:53
Worth the 100 miles to me, besides that isn't south of downtown FW, it is North of Arlington! I know those numbers like 20 and 30 are hard to keep track of when you get past the toe range, try stackin' cow chips. They keep them in the stock yard /convention center. :banana

JimSproul
07-27-2005, 10:58
...So much for lively banter, now back to business

The work weekend I will be doing is mostly clearing brush. Brambles, poison, just about everything. Most of the material has had several years to grow. The first 1.5 miles of my section that is really overgrown and hard to navigate. The OT was built in 1978 and has been maintain off and on since then. There are blue blazes but in some area you have to bust through chest high brush. There are a few blow downs but as of early July they could all be cut with pack saws.

I would like to open a path the trip and re-blaze the areas where navigation is spotty. Next spring I will catch the growth before it gets bad. The section before mine from the Lovers Leap Trail to the Scenic Hyway is just as bad.

Queen Wilhelmena Stat Park has some tent sites. I would stay there if they have some available. If not, there is a Country Store in the Village of Rich Mountain at the base of Rich Mountain, about 30 minutes walk by road. Both have showers and restaurants.

It is 4 hours +- from Dallas via Oklahoma. Depending on work I will go up either Friday evening or early Saturday, work, then back home Sunday.

It someone wanted to do a section of two or the OT while I am ther I would be happy to take a break and provide a little shuttle service.

By the way, I would love to do the Caprock Trailway. I have had that trip fall through three times in the last year and a half. Always transportation issues. The folks at Caprock Stat Park are very friendly and helpful. The trailhead on the North end is right on Hywy 287.

HikerHobo
07-27-2005, 12:30
besides that isn't south of downtown FW, it is North of Arlington!

Pull up a map, Jim. The DFW area is not that complicated.

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?addr=&csz=fort+worth%2C+tx&country=us&new=1&name=&qty=

JimSproul
07-27-2005, 13:47
Not complicated? We must be talking about different areas alltogether you do mean the DALLAS fortwoth area of Texas, right?

Some Yahoo of a map! Try this one, sure looks south of Fort Worth to me.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.725278,-97.320556&spn=0.170986,0.434647&z=6&t=h&hl=en

They call it Edgecliff, long walk from Cow Town. Water Gardens to the South Freeway (820 for you boys in Fort Worth) is about 7 miles. Take better part of a day with a full pack. The water gardens are still in fort woth arn't they? Did they run em off when they started killing people?

You fellers are just too much fun. Still worked up about not getting the State Fair and having to settle for the Fat Stock Show eh?

Mountain Dew
07-27-2005, 14:45
Dallas Vs. Ft. Worth ??? hahahaaaa Yeah that's why I live in Midlothian. I enjoy the best of both without the traffic or crime. Goodtimes...

rhjanes
07-27-2005, 15:47
boys, boys....
Hey, I30 (Thru FW), is much better now that they totally rebuilt it. I even tow my enclosed car hauler thru there now. I used to exit and go THRU downtown FW, just to avoid I30. I20....that runst south of Arlington, across south FW and joins I30 on the west side of FW. Just came thru there.

I'm getting sick of the big city.....but jobs are here and kids in school.

JimSproul
07-27-2005, 16:02
Hey Mountain Dew -

How far along have you gotten? I have been watching www.at2003.com but have not seen an update in a while.

I have taken a class from Steve out at Joe Pool Lake. I actually bought the Kayak from John. They gave me a good deal and good advice. I will be back for more gear for my daughter shortly. They are a good bunch of folks. An they are in Pantego, like I-20, South of Fort Worth.

Sorry, I just had to! ;)

johnny quest
07-28-2005, 20:23
i am intereested in going up to arkansas and helping you with your maintenance that weekend. and im definitely up for hiking the caprock canyon trail again.

rmtjr
07-29-2005, 00:16
I'd like to do the Thanksgiving weekend OT hike and Caprock Canyon trip with you. Anyone live far enough east to be familiar with the 4-C trail? Texas Hiking.com has a lot of info about Texas hiking. Tim, "Dread," GA-ME in 2003, gave three evening workshops on his AT experience at the Austin REI store in the summer of 2004. Surprising as it may be, Cameron Park, Waco, on the Brazos River, is a good six mile workout. Western Arkansas has good potential, but will require strong logistical preparation.

I was born, raised and graduated high school in Dallas, err, Oak Cliff, USA (I remember street cars), but lived a year in Ft. Worth and really liked it. We live in McGregor now. McG is 15 miles west of Waco. It's a neutral site in the war between Dallas and Ft. Worth.

Red Hat
07-29-2005, 13:30
Wow! I just found this thread and I am really excited... I hiked about 600 miles on the AT this year. Started at Springer in March, hiked to past Erwin where I had to get off for family. Went back, skipped up to Waynesboro area so I could hike with my buddies, and went as far as Harpers Ferry before I headed back home. I loved it! Only trouble was being away from my husband so long. I live in Brenham, but am interested in hiking or getting together with anyone from Texas interested in the AT.

By the way, the hiker that spoke at REI was Tim, trail name Dreds, who hiked in 2003, and works for REI in Austin (or did last year). I met him in NY where I was doing trail magic. I try to get out to the AT when ever I get a chance (usually at least once a year). I'm pretty old (58) but in good health.

I have hiked good portions of the Lone Star Trail, but it is a bug fest! I haven't done the 4-C, but I am familiar with its whereabouts. Red Hat

rhjanes
07-29-2005, 14:26
I'd like to do the Thanksgiving weekend OT hike and Caprock Canyon trip with you. Anyone live far enough east to be familiar with the 4-C trail? Texas Hiking.com has a lot of info about Texas hiking. Tim, "Dread," GA-ME in 2003, gave three evening workshops on his AT experience at the Austin REI store in the summer of 2004. Surprising as it may be, Cameron Park, Waco, on the Brazos River, is a good six mile workout. Western Arkansas has good potential, but will require strong logistical preparation.

I was born, raised and graduated high school in Dallas, err, Oak Cliff, USA (I remember street cars), but lived a year in Ft. Worth and really liked it. We live in McGregor now. McG is 15 miles west of Waco. It's a neutral site in the war between Dallas and Ft. Worth.
sounds suspiciously close to Crawford.....now where have we heard of that from?

rhjanes
07-29-2005, 14:29
Wow! I just found this thread and I am really excited... I hiked about 600 miles on the AT this year. Started at Springer in March, hiked to past Erwin where I had to get off for family. Went back, skipped up to Waynesboro area so I could hike with my buddies, and went as far as Harpers Ferry before I headed back home. I loved it! Only trouble was being away from my husband so long. I live in Brenham, but am interested in hiking or getting together with anyone from Texas interested in the AT.

By the way, the hiker that spoke at REI was Tim, trail name Dreds, who hiked in 2003, and works for REI in Austin (or did last year). I met him in NY where I was doing trail magic. I try to get out to the AT when ever I get a chance (usually at least once a year). I'm pretty old (58) but in good health.

I have hiked good portions of the Lone Star Trail, but it is a bug fest! I haven't done the 4-C, but I am familiar with its whereabouts. Red Hat
hey! oldkathy/red hat had me confused. I hit your trail journal about a month back. Then, hit it again yesterday (I think you posted a 'post script'). I'm following along several hikers. One has completed. I owe him an email next month. One, had to drop off. A few are still at it. one is almost done, but he is from the NE and keeps getting distracted and going home!!!
Anyway, congrats on taking the time to hike!!! In about 10 years (or more), I hope to!

Mountain Dew
07-30-2005, 21:09
Yeah but if i day Pantego who even knows where that is ? People that live close to it have only heard of it and still don't know where it is. hahaa

Dred ? I thru-hiked with him. Great guy... Works at REI/Austin and is an Eagle Scout.

aufgahoban
07-31-2005, 12:14
I'm from the DFW area and recently found a nice little 27 mile hiking area at the Fort Worth Nature Reserve. You can't camp, but it's a nice little place for day hikes without driving forever.
I've hiked/camped in the Queen Wilhelmena area several times and it's quite lovely. There is a little lake called Shady Lake with a campground in that vicinity.
Old Kathy/Red Hat- I enjoyed reading your travel journal. Congrats on your hike on the AT!

rmtjr
07-31-2005, 17:07
Crawford? Crawford. Hmm. May be the wide spot in the road between McGregor and Valley Mills. Jets and helicopters fly around there a lot from time to time. Probably nothing to it though. They have occasional political demonstrations and there was something about a movie, Fahrenheit 911. Not sure what that's all about. McGregor is well known in these parts for its junior rodeo arena. That may be why people have heard of Crawford -- its close to McGregor. Bob

rhjanes
07-31-2005, 23:52
Crawford? Crawford. Hmm. May be the wide spot in the road between McGregor and Valley Mills. Jets and helicopters fly around there a lot from time to time. Probably nothing to it though. They have occasional political demonstrations and there was something about a movie, Fahrenheit 911. Not sure what that's all about. McGregor is well known in these parts for its junior rodeo arena. That may be why people have heard of Crawford -- its close to McGregor. Bob

oh.....I thought that was where the government was keeping the aliens after they had to move them away from the heat wave at Area 51......

rmtjr
08-02-2005, 19:20
OK, back to the serious stuff. I've scheduled myself for a Big Bend trip centered on Oct 15-16. I'd like to do the South Rim and another place or two depending on schedules. Fortunately, being a retiree, my schedule is mine to make, more or less. I'm open from Oct 10 through the 22d. Let me warn you. I'm 66 y.o. and I've been known to phart. Even with the exhaust, I don't hike fast. Given that warning, anybody want to car pool? What's the status of the Thanksgiving period Arkansas trip? Bob

Mountain Dew
08-02-2005, 19:36
I'll still be on the east coast and hopefully have just finished my second thru-hike or else I just might take you up on that offer to hike in south Texas. I might be thru-hiking the Lonestar Trail in mid.late october possibly. i'm hoping the bugs will be gone and the temps will be better. You guys take care and go prepared.

JimSproul
08-06-2005, 23:20
Here are my notes on my last trip to the OT....

I did not get out of Dallas until 12:30pm on Monday. I headed out I-30 to New Boston, Texas, then headed north. I had a nice drive up through Arkansas but on roads that would be 65 in Texas, they had posted speeds of 45. I did not get into Queen Wilhelmina State Park until after 5 pm. I parked near the lodge, signed in, changed into hiking clothes and headed east on the Ouachita Trail.

The OT in that section generally follows the ridge of Rich Mountain. Near the Lodge the OT shares the locally maintained Lovers Leap Trail. It was pretty nice even though temps were in the 80s. Once the OT turned off however there was hardly any trail to be seen. I had read in the guide book that they don't recommend hiking in the summer but I thought it had to do with bugs. I pushed down the trail at a slow pace because of the trail conditions. The trail was very steep and rocky under the vegetation. I had to get beyond the park boundary in order to camp along the trail. I finally stopped around 7:30 pm because I did not want to have to set up camp in the dark. I found an area where a fallen tree had made a semi-level spot where I could lay between the rocks. I use an REI Gimme Shelter tarp and a bivy sack so I can set up just about anywhere.There was not a level spot to use the stove so I had a few chunks of dried fruit, hug my bear-bag and called it a day. I listened to The Hobbit on my mini-disk player and eventually fell asleep.

I was just in my bivy and had not gotten out my sleeping bag. About 2 am is got cold so I got out my bag just as it started raining. It was pretty loud and heavy. The ground is rocky and drains well so I had no run off problems. The rain had slackened by about 6 am so I went out to have a look around. I could barely see the trees 10 feet from my tent. A cloud had enshrouded the mountain and it was still raining. I went back to sleep until about 9am.

The rain had stopped and the fog had cleared some. I got down my bear bag and had a couple of packs of instant breakfast. I headed up the trail and in about a half hour I got to the point where the trail crosses the scenic highway. That marked the beginning of "my section". The trail was build in 1978 and I bet this section has not seen maintenance too many times since. I slogged along through brambles and brush for a long time before I reached open trail. From the point where the trail heads north down into the valley it was in pretty good shape. I was bleeding pretty good from my run ins with the bushes plus I was getting low on water. I hiked down to the highway (AR 270), crossed it and filtered water at the Ouachita River. I scouted out the area for about an hour but could not find a good camping location.

The village of Rich Mountain is about a mile and a half west up the highway. They have a country store that is also an RV park with tent sites. I headed up that way to get some better water to wash off my legs and also sleep on level group. I rented a tent site for the large sum of $4 which included a 20oz Coke. I pitched my tent on nice level ground with only minor rocks. They even had hot showers so I got cleaned up and cooked dinner. Thai noodles and coffee, sure tasted good after not having much to eat in the prior 24 hours. That is pretty typical for me the first few days of a trip. The physical effort takes away my hunger.

I talked with some locals and told them about the conditions I had found on the trail. They said it was pretty common that time of year and that the trail had seen very little use in the past few summers so they just got worse. I decided that I would head out the next day. It rained several times in the night. We had no bear trouble but in the village they do from time to time. I had seen a bunch of bear scat on the trail but did not see tracks or hear any heavy animals.

Next morning I slept in until 7:30, made coffee, then headed up the Rich Mountain Road (AR 272) toward the lodge. It climbs the whole way up Rich Mountain but was very nice since I did not have to fight through the bushes. I made it to my car about mid-morning. It was 2 1/2 miles by road to cover what had taken me a day and a half on the trail. I walked in the clouds most of the way. I grabbed a shower at the state park then had their buffet breakfast at the lodge. A $4.95 glimpse of heaven! All you can eat with some of the best biscuits I have had in years.

I took the scenic highway west to Talihina, Oklahoma then down US 70 until I hit I-30 in Sulphur Springs. It was a much faster and prettier way to go. Overall it was a good trip but I did pick up a good bit of poison ivy. I will head back up that way for a work weekend once I know how this job is going to work out. Camping at the Rich Mountain Country Store will put we within a reasonable high of both ends of my section.

johnny quest
08-18-2005, 16:25
mountaindew, are you serious about doing the lone start trail...and are interested in company..let me know. i did some of it one year. it was so wet i couldnt do alot. i wouldnt mind trying to knock it all out though

Mountain Dew
08-24-2005, 02:20
Jim, are you sure you weren't a Southern Baptist preacher because you sure do like to go on and on about a pasiionate topic. lol...just teasing...

Johnny Quest, Company on the Lone Star Trail ? SURE...hiking alone makes me either hike way too fast or bored. I was thinking of doing it when it got cooler here in Texas. Like maybe mid october. What do you think or what did you have in mind ?

eric_plano
08-24-2005, 09:36
Hey Lost Soul! When I was a kid I lived in the house at the bottom of Rich Mountain :) The one across the road from the store. Wandering around those hills is what started me on my path to the AT :jump .

Have you tried Eagle Rock Loop? About the same drive time but is a 25-26 mile loop. It even crosses the Little Missouri River a few times and was a good shake down hike, at least for an office jockey.

Cheers,
Eric

johnny quest
08-24-2005, 11:37
will the skeeters be dead by october? seriously, and maybe this is a whole topic unto itself...what about hunting? i usually do most of my hiking starting january because im very wary of hunters. i was a hunter myself and know lots of them and i dont trust some of them.

JimSproul
08-24-2005, 12:39
Hey Dew, you back in the Metroplex or are you still "out there"?

All - Time to quit this electronic jibber jabber and make a meet-up happen!

Eric, do you want to suggest a place in Plano? Maybe near the new REI?

eric_plano
08-24-2005, 13:04
I took the time to read through all the pages of the thread (jumped to the end before). Looks like it's a plan for the Lone Star trail area in October? Just want to confirm that I'm following the conversation.

Jim I didn't even realize they built an REI out here. So much for keeping up with the times. Per Mapquest it appears to within a mile or two from me. What kind of location are you looking for? Plenty of restaurants etc. right on Preston.

JimSproul
08-24-2005, 13:12
Eric - A resturant would work for me. Most important is that it is easy to find. I have not been to the new REI. Is it near the mall @ 121 & Preston? Something around there would be good. I know we have several North Dallas folks on this site. I live in Coppell but work in Las Colinas. My schedule is flexible. I think I can get permission from the REI folks (the one at LBJ) to post on their board.

How about Tuesday, August 30, at 7 pm, location: ....(your pick here )...., for dinner, gear talk, and sage widom from any veteran thru-hikers we can scare up.

:clap

eric_plano
08-24-2005, 13:23
I'm good for the date and time. There is a TGI Fridays, Black Eyed Pea and Denny's a few blocks down the road from REI so whichever the concensus is up for. I'll roll by REI tonight just to get an idea exactly where.

If anyone wants to mapquest.com for directions the Address is:
2424 Preston Rd. Plano Tx 75093

rhjanes
08-25-2005, 09:42
REI on 635

and newer REI as noted. That is several miles south of Preston/121/Stonbrier mall area. I work near there, but have not gone by.

There is also Dick's at Stonebrier and TON's of restaurants around there.

So....be clear as to whick REI.....

JimSproul
08-29-2005, 16:29
Are we going to try and get together tomorrow at 7pm? If so where?????

:confused:

johnny quest
08-29-2005, 16:35
i would love to go but its so far for me to make on a weekday and im going to volunteer for the colorado 100 mile canoe race all weekend

johnny quest
09-05-2005, 15:16
so did you people meet????

JimSproul
09-05-2005, 15:24
Nope, I could not get a response :(

johnny quest
09-05-2005, 15:28
im sorry to hear that. i was working the coloradoriver100 canoe race. but lets not give up...i would really like to get a hiking trip together for the fall

eric_plano
09-05-2005, 16:10
I'm not sure what happened lol. We nailed down and area to meet then it became very very quiet in this thread. :(

johnny quest
09-05-2005, 16:13
well tuesday would have be rough for me but if i hadnt already been planning on leaving work early friday i would have attempted taht...if nothing else to see the new rei!!!! but im serious about a hiking trip to caprock canyon or lone star or somewhere

eric_plano
09-05-2005, 16:23
I most likely wont be able to join in :(
I was forced to choose a vacation week last week so flexibility went out the window. Looks like I'll turn 30 on Eagle Rock Loop though so it's all good here :)

Hope you guys work something out!

JimSproul
09-12-2005, 00:18
A little information on the Ouachita Trail. The local ranger districts have had some trail crews working in sections 3, 4 & 5. The areas that were in such bad shape when I was there has been worked over with a weed eater.

johnny quest
09-16-2005, 17:41
so are you still planning a trailclearing trip up that way?