PDA

View Full Version : Which phone contract for thu hike?

cjlusmc
06-24-2013, 17:11
I currently have an unlimited data plan through Verizon but I am due for an upgrade. my current phone sucks and my contract is up. I'm debating on whether to get another verizon contract or go to a different provider. I know that I want to keep a smartphone, I'm just not sure who has the best service along the trail. I'll add that I probably want to get an iPhone 4, and my wife will be getting a smartphone also. any suggestions, advice ideas would be greatly appreciated.

mtntopper
06-24-2013, 17:16
Get an unlocked phone then you can use it with any service provider. I find Verizon to be the best coverage and one of the worst in the customer service area. With an unlocked phone you do not have to sign a multiyear contract.

Durtydan
06-24-2013, 17:21
don't switch providers as you'd lose your unlimited plan and if you enjoy occasionally using your phone in town to surf the web and what not, you will find that it is tough to run into wifi area down south especially and can run through your newly allotted data plan in a couple of weeks and will be paying overages. if you only use it for a phone call here or there, switch away.
good thing I use it for in different towns/cities is to look up good little restaurants that may go overlooked whilst passing thru. a quick google search in the tent the night prior to will land you some good reviews, or maybe some bad ones. and of course you can always catch a funny YouTube video because although I love being in the outdoors and getting away from tech, a solid funny video can go a long way.

just some thoughts on the matter.

ChinMusic
06-24-2013, 17:21
Verizon users have been pretty happy on this year's thru. I have AT&T and did not have as good coverage in the south at V but got by.

Now that I've been in the north AT&T has been golden. I have had LTE on many ridges.

atraildreamer
06-24-2013, 17:23
I don't know whether they support I phones, but I found the TracFone pay as you go system is pretty good. They're coverage is extensive as they link up to whatever cell provider is in the area. You can also get monthly service plans.

cjlusmc
06-24-2013, 17:42
Like I said, I currently have the droid charge and it is garbage. The only saving grace for us right now is that we have unlimited data and we use alot of it, sometimes 30 gigs or more a month (netflix). Was thinking about switching to sprint because it seemed like they had a slightly cheaper family plan, but I dont like what Ive heard about their coverage. I think I'll probably just upgrade and renew with Verizon so that I can keep our unlimited data, even though I dont think I'll use that much on the trail.

coach lou
06-24-2013, 18:01
Verizon!!!!

Teacher & Snacktime
06-24-2013, 18:27
I'd go Verizon....I never had trouble with them. Whatever you do, DON'T GET T-MOBILE!!! I doesn't work anywhere reliably.

rusty bumper
06-25-2013, 08:13
I used Verizon on my hike in 2011 and was amazed at the good coverage. It was rare to not get a signal at some point during the day from GA to ME. I was using only voice and text...no idea about data performance.

cjlusmc
06-25-2013, 13:22
Looks like I'm upgrading to an iphone 5 on friday and renewing my contract with verizon. probably won't use much data on trail, but for zero days it would be handy to update whatever social media black hole I decide to track my progress on. thanks for all the help everybody.

ChinMusic
06-25-2013, 13:25
Looks like I'm upgrading to an iphone 5 on friday and renewing my contract with verizon. probably won't use much data on trail, but for zero days it would be handy to update whatever social media black hole I decide to track my progress on. thanks for all the help everybody.
I'm on my thru as I type. I usu check in a few times a day. I got LTE just south of High Point w AT&T. That didn't happen much in the south.

Butterfly58
06-25-2013, 16:11
Oh no! Sad to hear the bad review of T-mobile. I've been using them for years and have had stellar customer service and every kind of service. If I need to switch to Verizon for my thru I will, but sadly.:( I have the Samsung Galaxy S4 which I love but no contract so I'm free to do whatever.