PDA

View Full Version : Yuengling Brewery

cathyss2000
06-24-2013, 19:29
Anyone know how easy or difficult it is to catch a ride to the brewery from the trail?

slbirdnerd
06-25-2013, 12:39
Not sure, you can always just try hitching or find a shuttler up there and arrange something. Pottsville is about 10 miles from the trail. My mom went to school with Dick Yuengling.

cathyss2000
07-23-2013, 14:50
Well, they were unable to hitch a ride and couldn't find a shuttle. Too bad, according to Tripadvisor it is supposed to be pretty cool. Some other day perhaps.

Wise Old Owl
07-23-2013, 15:11
I am sure you can call a shuttle - the tour is worth it... The cool caves are open again... Best to be there early.. long lines in the afternoon.

Omaha_Ace
07-23-2013, 15:14
Mmmm. Yuengling. I brought a case home from Virginia Beach after vacation a couple weeks ago. I love that stuff, but we can't get it in Nebraska.

Old Grouse
07-23-2013, 21:30
I certainly enjoyed the tour and recommend it. Only trouble with walking or hitching there is you'll want to make the distributor your second stop and oink up a case ...or four!

CrumbSnatcher
07-23-2013, 21:44
Mmmm. Yuengling. I brought a case home from Virginia Beach after vacation a couple weeks ago. I love that stuff, but we can't get it in Nebraska.
i love the yuengling original lager! had a friend bring me some back from philly, but he bought amber lager instead of original lager, didn't like it as much.
Omaha Ace try some HAMMS beer, you'll love it! :-) "From the land of sky blue waters"

TheYoungOne
09-23-2013, 17:21
Damn, I hope you are planning for 2014 and have not hiked by it already. Route 61 at Port Clinton, between Hamburg PA (Cabela's) and Pottsville (Yuengling Brewery) is a pretty busy road so you should be able to get a hitch. The Brewery is about 14 miles north of Port Clinton and Cabelas is 2 miles south. Its a shame they use to have bus service from Cabelas to Pottsville, but I think that doesn't exist anymore. http://www.go-sts.com/schedule.asp

Sevsa
09-24-2013, 13:39
It is a fun tour and was not crowded when I went on the first tour during the week. Even got to talk to the owner. Unfortunately there is no public bus between Port Clinton and Pottsville. As mentioned already route 61 is a busy road so the odds are probably good for you to get a ride.

Max L
09-29-2013, 18:06
I was able to hitch to Pottsville from Port Clinton and back with relative ease this summer. Just remember to check the tour times first because when I went they only had two tours that day (a weekday). Also take your pack with you and make a sign to help you get back to Port Clinton. Getting that hitch from a non-trail town was one of the longer hitch waits my thru-hike this year. Enjoy!

Wise Old Owl
09-29-2013, 21:13
Keep in mind they only give you small glasses and tastes... at the Port Clinton Hotel you can drink up... he had 3-4 different types on tap.

H_McC
12-18-2013, 01:32
We got a hitch there easily, but had trouble getting back. but thats situational. people always try and gauge how hard it is to hitch places by asking other hikers, but sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you dont. But I had a great time at the brewery. hitching back the tour guide saw us and stopped and gave us some of the best trail magic ever!

shelb
12-19-2013, 21:07
There is a hotel/motel within walking distance from the brewery, right downtown, that was around $65 a night last summer....booked it on priceline, expedia, or one of those sites...

biggcarl
12-20-2013, 12:16
Just saw this thread, I live just outside Philly and am very familar the brewery. I think next spring/summer I'll announce certain Saturdays that I'll offer a shuttle from nearby shelters like the 501 or road crossing like Port Clinton to the brewery for Saturday tours.

So if your're thur hiking in 2014 and this is one your favorite beers PM me to arrange a trip.