PDA

View Full Version : Gordon Pond Along the Kinsman Ridge Trail/A.T. - OK for Camping?

Driver8
06-24-2013, 20:14
Am planning a backpack in the southwestern Whites and considering camping one night at Gordon Pond. How is this place for camping? I seem to remember reading good things about it along the way. What intel can you share? In addition to camping specs, anything you can share about the vicinity I will most appreciate.

Thanks in advance.

rickb
06-24-2013, 20:32
Am planning a backpack in the southwestern Whites and considering camping one night at Gordon Pond. How is this place for camping? I seem to remember reading good things about it along the way. What intel can you share? In addition to camping specs, anything you can share about the vicinity I will most appreciate.

Thanks in advance.

Its a great spot.

My wife and I have camped there a few times, and for a while it was something of tradition of ours to take a day hike there the day after Thanksgiving.

The shortest way in is via a short blue blaze off the AT. Not many vistas between Kinsman Notch and the Pond, but a few and some interesting walking along the way. Initially steep out of the notch, but just a a short hump.

Look for some beaver chewed trees at the pond's outlet that are 8 feet off the ground. You may have another explanation, but I am thinking we have long legged beaver in the northeast. :-)

Driver8
06-24-2013, 20:54
Thanks, Rick. I gather from a search of Views from the Top that there are several decent LNT campable spots around Gordon Pond. Are they obvious, or would it help to get directions to you for some?

rickb
06-24-2013, 21:00
Just pick a spot next to where the white throated sparrow is perching and you will do fine.

hikerboy57
06-24-2013, 21:02
Just pick a spot next to where the white throated sparrow is perching and you will do fine.
hes right,driver. ive camped at that spot in a number of states and its always been good

rocketsocks
06-25-2013, 01:24
Its a great spot.

My wife and I have camped there a few times, and for a while it was something of tradition of ours to take a day hike there the day after Thanksgiving.

The shortest way in is via a short blue blaze off the AT. Not many vistas between Kinsman Notch and the Pond, but a few and some interesting walking along the way. Initially steep out of the notch, but just a a short hump.

Look for some beaver chewed trees at the pond's outlet that are 8 feet off the ground. You may have another explanation, but I am thinking we have long legged beaver in the northeast. :-)
some species of Beeva's climb...yep, saw it on TV

Driver8
06-25-2013, 01:35
White Mountain Guide says the campsite is right off trail on south shore of the lake. Now we have to hope the insects are mellow - have read a horror story or two.

coach lou
06-25-2013, 07:16
My tarp goes up anywhere.

peakbagger
06-25-2013, 07:59
Recent VFTT posting does indicate that the Deer Flies are numerous at Gordon Pond