PDA

View Full Version : Stream crossings - Eagle and Forney

winland
06-25-2013, 06:26
How difficult are the stream crossings on Eagle and Forney Creeks?

Planning a hike for early July and don't know how much daily thunderstorms will increase flow.

Thanks

Malto
06-25-2013, 08:24
I can speak for Eagle..... It depends on the rainfall. I did that trail and the dozens of crossing in April, 2011 and the crossings were knew to thigh high and moderately moving. Was that abnormal, don't know. I had little trouble getting across them but I'm also 6'2" and have crossed many hairy streams in the Sierra. One thing for sure, you will have wet feet for many miles.

madgoat
06-25-2013, 09:34
I did Eagle Creek in April several years ago. There are something like 18 crossings from Lakeshore up to campsite 97. If I recall, the crossing on the north side of 97 is the last crossing. When we went, the water was thigh high and very fast. It took us a full day to hike the ~3 miles from campsite 89 to 97. This was during spring snow melt though and I have never hiked another trail in the park that had as difficult of crossings.

We are planning on hitting Eagle Creek again in the fall and we are not terribly concerned that we will face similar circumstances. But, we will probably consider strapping on our water shoes at the first crossing just north of the lakeshore trail junction, and not taking them off until we get past 97. This would be an excellent trail to hike with waders and a fly rod.

I have hiked Forney Creek on a few occasions and don't recall having any difficulty with creek crossings. I believe that my trips on Forney were all in the fall though, so the water would have been down.

TNhiker
06-25-2013, 10:19
i think in july, with the heat, you'll enjoy the crossings......it will bring a sweet relief....

eagle creek crossings are more frequent and a little more difficult than forney's....

also, bring water shoes and a towel and you'll avoid having wet feet such as Malto's.....

SGT Rock
06-25-2013, 12:16
I've never had issues on either trail.

HooKooDooKu
06-25-2013, 14:31
I hiked Forney Creek this weekend. Recent rains have water levels above normal. As an adult, I didn't have much problem making the crossings. A few points were about thigh deep.

But what was a "challenge" was getting my 10yo safely across with me.

When I called the Ranger Station to get a report on current Forney Creek water levels, they couldn't give me a specific report, but their CYA answer was that they would not recommend taking a 10yo on this trail at this time. Anyone not experienced with water crossings and at recognizing danger points, I would agree with the Ranger's CYA answer. At least one of the crossings required about 20 minutes for me to find what I felt would be a safe crossing path.
This was our most difficult crossing of the day. To get safely across, we had to walk up the creek to that smoother water you can see above the white water. It was still thigh deep, but at least it was wide and slow-flowing.

Dogwood
06-25-2013, 14:44
I just was on Eagle Crk TR two days ago up to only CS 89 though. NC has receieved its avg. annual rainfall this yr in the first 6 months! Eagle Ck - Water crossings are abundant and flow is heavy. A few can be mid thigh. The crk isn't particularly wide though. Water shoes, Keen sandals, or always wet trail runners are the norm and would be ideal. Never had an issue with fords on Forney Crk although a night previous to being at CS 90 at the mouth of Eagle Crk I stayed at the Forney Crk CS 74 and the creek was running strong. Glad there was a bridge here to cross on the Lakeshore Tr.

Dogwood
06-25-2013, 14:45
Surprised I didn'trun into you HooKooDooKu

HooKooDooKu
06-25-2013, 14:53
Surprised I didn'trun into you HooKooDooKu
We hiked down Forney on Saturday, up Jonas to Silers Bald Sunday (had the shelter all to ourselves), and the AT to Clingman's Monday.
Saturday, we ran into a group at 68, a man and his father just above the last crossing before site 70, and three other campers at site 70.
Sunday, we didn't see ANYONE except for the other campers at site 70.
Monday, we ran into mother/father/son trio near Double Springs Shelter.
That was it until we got within a half mile of Clingman's Dome (where the parking lot was full).