PDA

View Full Version : Specific sleeping bag recommendation

Double Wide
06-25-2013, 11:55
Hey gang!

In an earlier post I mentioned that I had my big four weight down to 10 lbs 7 oz. I'm still trying to go a little lighter if I can, and my bag is the only thing I could replace. I currently have a Kelty Coromel 25 degree down bag, and it works great. Kept me warm at 17 degrees a couple months back.

Anyhow, as much as I like it, it weighs 3 lbs 7 oz, and is a bit bulky in the stuff sack. I'm looking to upgrade, but have pretty specific wants: 1) Less than 3 lbs. 2) SEMI RECTANGULAR. 3) down preferred over synthetic, but not a deal breaker. 3) large size--OVER 6 ft. 4) Rated 15-25 degrees

So far, all I've found is the WM Ponderosa, but that's $545 to save about nine ounces. Can anyone point me to alternatives given that criteria I've listed?

Thanks!

jeffmeh
06-25-2013, 14:30
If you are willing to consider a quilt, take a look at http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/product/revelationx-20/. 25 oz. for a long. There are plenty of other options for quilts.

kidchill
06-25-2013, 16:51
I would check WM bags. Is that the only WM bag you're interested in? I have the 32 (or maybe it's 35) summer or hyperlite 6ft mummy and it's only like 19oz or so. If you're in a tent, with a decent pad this will also increase your temp rating on your bag. I used that bag in 30-35 deg weather and slept in only a pair of board-shorts and was comfy.

hikerboy57
06-25-2013, 17:30
I would check WM bags. Is that the only WM bag you're interested in? I have the 32 (or maybe it's 35) summer or hyperlite 6ft mummy and it's only like 19oz or so. If you're in a tent, with a decent pad this will also increase your temp rating on your bag. I used that bag in 30-35 deg weather and slept in only a pair of board-shorts and was comfy.
ive got the WM highlite and theres no way it would be warm enough in the teens, even with a liner.
jeffmeh has a good suggestion- check out quilts

Venchka
06-25-2013, 18:18
WM has several bags in the 10°F to 25°F range and all at, or around, 2 pounds in the LARGE sizes. The Versalite is a mid-size (wider than skinny) mummy rated at 10°F. The Sycamore is a 25°F semi-rectangular bag that opens fully and lies flat. Both are 2 pounds each. The Alpenlite is a wide mummy with a 20°F rating and also around 2 pounds. The WM hoods & collars are worth every penny.

Wayne

Don H
06-25-2013, 18:41
I like the Montbell UL Super Spiral Down Hugger bags. I like the way the stretch and allow you to move around in them.

A #1 is rated to 15* and weighs 2lb-8oz in long.
http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=796&p_id=2321125