PDA

View Full Version : ULA Catalyst?

slbirdnerd
06-25-2013, 12:42
I tried on a ULA Catalyst at Mountain Crossings last week, with S-straps. Felt pretty darned good but I worry about the thin straps, not much padding, irritating my collarbone. Anyone who has this pack have issues? Is it all good? I wonder, with any pack, about putting a soft fabric around the shoulder straps at the collarbone. Does it help? Thanks!

Durtydan
06-25-2013, 13:51
I tried putting a piece of fabric from my broken arm sling into an old packs straps that were uncomfortable, and aside from a little more sweating because it was a sheepskin type of padding, it worked like a charm. worth a try

Nooga
06-25-2013, 14:01
It the straps bother your shoulders, you can get the fuzzy seatbelt cushion straps from Walmart that work well. When they get sweaty, you can toss them in the wash.

leaftye
06-25-2013, 14:20
The straps seem thin, but I haven't had a problem with them even when carrying immense loads that this pack shouldn't have been used for.

bfayer
06-25-2013, 14:34
The straps have never been a problem with me. With reasonable weight, I don't even think about the straps.

kidchill
06-25-2013, 17:15
I don't have a ULA catalyst, but I used the GG mariposa for my thru (minimal shoulder padding) and I ended up finding and cannibalizing a thermarest pad for the shoulder straps (this was in northern VA). In all honesty, I don't think it actually made a difference. It was more of a mental thing. I think the way the load is distributed (considering the hip belt and wide straps) there isn't a whole lot of need for extra padding in the straps. The only time straps have really bothered me is using a weighted vest to train for the AT (that thing killed my shoulders), but the straps were super thin, so all of the load was directly on a small area (like 2 square inches).

Coffee
06-25-2013, 17:21
I have the Circuit but if I recall correctly the straps are very similar (I briefly owned a Catalyst prior to switching to the Circuit). The shoulder straps really don't push down all that much since the pack does a good job of transferring weight to the hips. If I have a full water bottle on each shoulder strap, like when I'm starting out after a water stop, then there is some modest pressure but nothing that troubles me. I suppose that the shoulder straps could be more bothersome with a load nearer to the pack's capacity. I've been carrying 23-27 pounds in the Circuit which is below the 35 pound rating.

LionDog
06-25-2013, 22:14
I have used the Catalyst on 3 trips since purchasing it, weather carry a light summer load or heavier load in cold weather, all within the packs suggested weight loads , felt great each time, no issues at all with the straps. Love this pack.

slbirdnerd
06-26-2013, 12:07
Thanks, all. Sounds like a definite possibility.

T-Rx
06-27-2013, 10:03
I have used a catalyst for a couple of years now and am very pleased. The straps have not been an issue for me even with a heavy load of 4-5 days of food.

1Greywolf
06-27-2013, 12:13
I tried on a ULA Catalyst at Mountain Crossings last week, with S-straps. Felt pretty darned good but I worry about the thin straps, not much padding, irritating my collarbone. Anyone who has this pack have issues? Is it all good? I wonder, with any pack, about putting a soft fabric around the shoulder straps at the collarbone. Does it help? Thanks!

I have a Catalyst and have been using it for over three years. I hiked the AT in 2011 with it, and had no problem with the shoulder straps. If you need more padding go to Walmart and buy padding used for car straps. You can wash them when dirty or get new ones. Make sure you have the correct size pack and hip belt. Keep in mind that you will loose weight during the hike especially around your waist. Have fun. Pain will compliment you after completing a 20-mile day.

SawnieRobertson
06-27-2013, 21:03
I have accumulated 8 or 9 excellent packs in my quest for what I received when I bought my Catalyst. What a friend it is out there! Still, what is great for me could be a disaster for another.