PDA

View Full Version : Maps and Cell Phone

FarmerChef
06-25-2013, 15:26
I've posted elsewhere about an upcoming hike of the AT through the whites and up past Mahoosuc Notch. I've got a couple questions in relation to that thread:

1. What are the best maps to bring along for hiking this section of the AT? I hear that connecting trails can, at times, make it confusing - not to mention the threat of inclement weather and the need to find shelter fast.
2. I'll be trying to slackpack when possible and need to coordinate with our shuttle. Where is cell service available in the Whites? If it's better to ask it this way, Where is cell service NOT available in the Whites?

Thanks in advance. I think I've got everything else nailed down and I can always wing it with preplanned stop points/times. Any help here would be appreciated.

MamaBear
06-26-2013, 10:00
As far as maps, my two recommendations would be either the AMC's White Mountains set (get the Tyvek waterproof version) or Wilderness Map Co.'s "Exploring New Hampshire's White Mountains" (http://www.mountainwanderer.com/proddetail.php?prod=NHH13&cat=70) (also waterproof). These are the two that I see used most often in the Whites and have used the AMC set for years, and know that they can even go through the washer and come out fine.

As far as cell reception, my experience on Verizon has been that the notches (where you'd come out onto a road) might have spotty cell reception due to the mountains on either side. In general, I have better reception on the peaks rather than the valleys. I have also noticed reception is nill or poor between Galehead Hut and Zealand Hut on the AT. Pinkham Notch also seems to be one of the harder places for me to get reception in. Maybe peakbagger or Slo go'en can help out with better details on cell reception areas.

Slo-go'en
06-26-2013, 11:06
Err, I can't seem to find my NH trails map which shows just about everything from Hanover north. I suppose it will turn up eventually. Anyway, most every little store in towns near the trail sells it.

Although I have cell phone, I never use it so I dont' know were it might work or not. As noted by mamabear, reception in notches and other low laying areas or on the wrong side of a ridge, your probably not going to get anything. Best check for reception before you start to loose much elevation. Cell towers are few and far between around here.

peakbagger
06-26-2013, 15:53
AMC has an overall map of the whites, they also have a map specific to the Mahoosuc area. I don't have suggestions on south of the whites, I think I used the ATC maps. The Mahoosuc specific map is handy as it shows the bail out points. (basically if north bound through the Mahoosucs, turn right as all the lefts bring you to Success Pond road which is 20 plus mile underutilized logging road. If you do end up on this road hitch west to Berlin as the easterly end ends up in just about as desolate a place on RT 26.

Cell coverage along the ridgelines is pretty good but once you are in the valleys forget it. Once you get north of RT 2, the reception drops off as you work away from RT 2 towards Grafton Notch. The cell antennas tend to be in the valleys and the antennas are aimed down low so terrain makes a big difference. There are no cell towers in the WMNF so once you get in the interior you are depending on towers at the boundaries. Most of the ski areas have towers so if you can see a ski area you have a higher likelihood. Places that will have marginal or no coverage is Kinsman Notch to South Kinsman, Galehead to RT 302, RT 302 to Mitzpah, Great Gulf area, Pinkham Notch area. Mahoosuc Notch for Sure and Once you get east of RT 26 good luck.

Do keep in mind that texts are far more likely to get through with a marginal signal than voice. There is basically no 4 G in the area.

FarmerChef
06-26-2013, 16:13
AMC has an overall map of the whites, they also have a map specific to the Mahoosuc area. I don't have suggestions on south of the whites, I think I used the ATC maps. The Mahoosuc specific map is handy as it shows the bail out points. (basically if north bound through the Mahoosucs, turn right as all the lefts bring you to Success Pond road which is 20 plus mile underutilized logging road. If you do end up on this road hitch west to Berlin as the easterly end ends up in just about as desolate a place on RT 26.

Cell coverage along the ridgelines is pretty good but once you are in the valleys forget it. Once you get north of RT 2, the reception drops off as you work away from RT 2 towards Grafton Notch. The cell antennas tend to be in the valleys and the antennas are aimed down low so terrain makes a big difference. There are no cell towers in the WMNF so once you get in the interior you are depending on towers at the boundaries. Most of the ski areas have towers so if you can see a ski area you have a higher likelihood. Places that will have marginal or no coverage is Kinsman Notch to South Kinsman, Galehead to RT 302, RT 302 to Mitzpah, Great Gulf area, Pinkham Notch area. Mahoosuc Notch for Sure and Once you get east of RT 26 good luck.

Do keep in mind that texts are far more likely to get through with a marginal signal than voice. There is basically no 4 G in the area.

Perfect - that's exactly what I needed. I can use texts just fine to update status and anticipated time of arrival at pickup point. I'll check out the AMC maps. Thanks all!