PDA

View Full Version : 7/21 Katahdin Report

TJ aka Teej
07-25-2005, 13:26
Hi folks,
On Friday morning I stopped by to visit with the Rangers at Katahdin Stream to gather some Companion information. Met 'No Onions' at the Birches, 'Section Hiker', '7 Sisters', and 'Robo' at KSC. Just missed seeing Tim Rich as he headed up Katahdin to finish his section hikes of the AT. Also heading up on Friday were 'Just Jim', and 'Adirondak'. 50 north bound long distance AT hikers had stayed at the Birches so far, with a high of seven Thursday night. Some recents entries into the AT hiker register on the Ranger's porch were made by Graham from Aberdeen, Boomerang, Anga, Scrubs, Caterpiller, Jay, Hermit Crab, EJ, Easy, TRex, EarlyBird, Running Moon, Odyssa, Jukebox, Pilot, BigDaddy, BassMaster, Webb, Sippi, Diesel, MountainDew, Crow, JuiceKey, Virginia Creeper, Beeper, Christopher Robin, Puck, Spud, Nemo, Hydro Heidi, Lucky Buck, Chelsea, and PineTree.
Wicked nice morning weather, no bugs, several moose along the tote road, and a report of several coyotes at the Abol Campground.
Teej

Red Hat
07-28-2005, 12:33
Wow, thanks for the report. I was especially happy to see Odyssa's name. We stayed together at NOC in late March. She left about 5:00 in the morning and I didn't see her again. Since she hikes so fast and such long days, and she doesn't sign registers, I had no idea that she was still out there. You go girl! I,on the other hand, won't see Katahdin this year... Red Hat

TJ aka Teej
07-28-2005, 17:40
You're welcome, RedHat! The date was actually the 22nd, and Odyssa's entry at Katahdin was about a week earlier. Good visit with the people at Baxter, many hikers, and several service providers between there and Monson - I've got pages of info and contacts to wade through for the next Companion. Next trip will be just backpacking! :D