PDA

View Full Version : PCT Female FKT Attempt -- Anish the Ghost

frisbeefreek
06-25-2013, 23:49
Anish the Ghost is somewhere in the High Sierras right now after averaging ~43mpd for the first 700 miles. She's blogging at:

https://www.facebook.com/AnishHikes?ref=ts&fref=ts

Crusinsusan
06-25-2013, 23:56
Wooza. 43 mpd.

RED-DOG
06-26-2013, 07:17
Very COOL, I hope she makes it and has the fastest time, I noticed on her time line that she is being sponsored by a battery company, I would also like to know what her pack weight is ?

Dogwood
06-26-2013, 13:08
IMHO, some of the easiest PCT hiking terrain and with the possibility of going really UL is up to KM. Lots of avg thru-hikers who have experienced at least one other thru-hike on another trail thru the PCT in that SoCal sect doing an avg high 20's and even a few low 30's avg MPD in that section.

frisbeefreek
06-26-2013, 16:17
IMHO, some of the easiest PCT hiking terrain and with the possibility of going really UL is up to KM. Lots of avg thru-hikers who have experienced at least one other thru-hike on another trail thru the PCT in that SoCal sect doing an avg high 20's and even a few low 30's avg MPD in that section.

Outside of the Sierras, you can go with a sub-7lb pack quite easily. Given the record attempt, I imagine luxuries are left behind, and everything is stripped to the core.

And outside of the Sierras and Glacier, doing big miles is easy (Oregon is flatter and faster, and NoCal is typically cooler than the desert, so it's easier to hike faster and longer). IMO, most hikers do more miles in the North because they are in shape, not because the trail is easier.

Malto
06-26-2013, 17:57
Outside of the Sierras, you can go with a sub-7lb pack quite easily. Given the record attempt, I imagine luxuries are left behind, and everything is stripped to the core.

And outside of the Sierras and Glacier, doing big miles is easy (Oregon is flatter and faster, and NoCal is typically cooler than the desert, so it's easier to hike faster and longer). IMO, most hikers do more miles in the North because they are in shape, not because the trail is easier.

Agree on your comment on Oregon vs SoCal. I was exactly 1mph faster in Oregon than SoCal but I arrived at Campo in Trail Shape. Actually, other than the Sierra my mileage was pretty consistent the rest of the way.

Dogwood
06-26-2013, 18:36
Not Glacier but Cascades NP. I get your pt Frusbeefreek. From a not hard terrain hiking stand pt though, SoCal, if you can take the heat or minimize it by hiking during night or cooler hrs, isn't hard for the start of a long distance hike hence IMO bigger MPDs are easier than on some other long distance trails at the start.

Feral Bill
06-26-2013, 23:49
Perhaps we should introduce Anish the Ghost to Matt, on his SOBO AT record attempt. Think of the hiking kids they could produce,

frisbeefreek
06-27-2013, 14:52
Not Glacier but Cascades NP. .

Sorry - Wasn't clear -- Glacier Peak has 2-3 days of big ups and downs (really not a big deal - only will cost you a few hours). The trail is fine if you don't have snow, but you still have big climbs that are pretty draining. I specifically remember hiking up from Milk Creek at 10pm. I was meeting my dad at Rainy Pass, and was on a schedule. That climb was something like 2800' in 4 miles, plus I had a snow field to cross in the dark. Tiring. The best part was crossing the log over the Suittle the next day, at which point, it was an easy cruise to Manning.

Dogwood
06-27-2013, 14:57
OR isn't hard but I think northern WA is harder.

Dogwood
06-27-2013, 15:01
Perhaps we should introduce Anish the Ghost to Matt, on his SOBO AT record attempt. Think of the hiking kids they could produce,

Kinda like Andre Agassi's and Stephi Graff's kids. They'll know how to keep score in tennis by age 3! Think they'll be jocks and jockettes?

Malto
06-27-2013, 16:47
Sorry - Wasn't clear -- Glacier Peak has 2-3 days of big ups and downs (really not a big deal - only will cost you a few hours). The trail is fine if you don't have snow, but you still have big climbs that are pretty draining. I specifically remember hiking up from Milk Creek at 10pm. I was meeting my dad at Rainy Pass, and was on a schedule. That climb was something like 2800' in 4 miles, plus I had a snow field to cross in the dark. Tiring. The best part was crossing the log over the Suittle the next day, at which point, it was an easy cruise to Manning.

That section you describe from Milk Creek up Glacier was the only area outside the snowy Sierra that I could not get my target of 30 mpd. Between the overgrown trail, lack of bridge at Milk creek, snow on Glacier and log on the Suiattle we only managed 26.6 miles in spite of a full 100 percent effort. I put that section up with any on the PCT and frankly any that I have hiked on the AT as the toughest section of trail. I will likely do NH this year and will be interested in seeing how that compares.

frisbeefreek
06-28-2013, 15:04
That section you describe from Milk Creek up Glacier was the only area outside the snowy Sierra that I could not get my target of 30 mpd. Between the overgrown trail, lack of bridge at Milk creek, snow on Glacier and log on the Suiattle we only managed 26.6 miles in spite of a full 100 percent effort. I put that section up with any on the PCT and frankly any that I have hiked on the AT as the toughest section of trail. I will likely do NH this year and will be interested in seeing how that compares.

Malto--We have similar hiking speeds & styles. The Whites are ridiculous (you'll love them). I managed 1.5mph in good weather - The slow pace was due entirely to the rugged nature of the trail. If it was raining, the massive amount of slick rock would have slowed me down much more just from a pure safe footing perspective. I recently bought my first pair of Inov-8 shoes -- I really wish I'd had the traction they provide on my 2 thru's (I used generic Asics). When you go, wear something with knobby and sticky rubber soles.

frisbeefreek
06-30-2013, 10:56
Well, Anish is half-way through the Sierra's at 41mpd (80 miles in 2 days across the 5 high passes). Pretty impressive. Judging by her photos, there is no meaningful snow on the ground

frisbeefreek
07-19-2013, 11:52
Anish crossed into Oregon. Roughly 1700 miles in 40 days (42.5mpd). Fast trail ahead, but weather report shows 95-100F heat the next couple of days.

Odd Man Out
07-19-2013, 12:28
She just published her MPD for CA

1: 42
2: 49
3: 38
4: 40
5: 43
6: 42
7: 46
8: 44
9: 39
10: 40
11: 34
12: 44
13: 42
14: 42
15: 43
16: 46
17: 35
18: 44
19: 40
20: 39
21: 42
22: 38
23: 39
24: 43
25: 43
26: 40
27: 40
28: 45
29: 37
30: 47
31: 44
32: 44
33: 44
34: 45
35: 49
36: 39
37: 50
38: 45
39: 50
40: 37

Malto
07-28-2013, 09:36
Check out these numbers in Oregon. She is either going to set the record or flame out in a glorious fashion. She is stringing together upper 40s and 50 mile days. Record or not this is a athletic achievement!

Day 41: Miles 41
42: 50
43: 48
44: 50
45: 48
46: 49
47: 42
48: 50
49: 50
50: 32 (in Oregon, more into WA)

frisbeefreek
07-28-2013, 10:10
Check out these numbers in Oregon. She is either going to set the record or flame out in a glorious fashion. She is stringing together upper 40s and 50 mile days. Record or not this is a athletic achievement!

Day 41: Miles 41
42: 50
43: 48
44: 50
45: 48
46: 49
47: 42
48: 50
49: 50
50: 32 (in Oregon, more into WA)

47.5mpd through Oregon (which is flat & fast). That is some serious mileage. Scott Williamson's record is ~64days. If she can average say 43mpd, that puts Anish's finish around day 62. Go go go.

Just Bill
07-28-2013, 11:14
I've never been west of the rockies, so I'm a bit bummed I can't relate and follow this hike as intimately as I can Matt's. But I can definitely relate to one thing; every picture she posts her smile gets bigger and bigger. I think the only thing she's in danger of is splitting her skull wide open when she hit's the border. Go Anish Go!

Just Bill
07-29-2013, 08:24
Serious question for Mags, Malto, and other PCT hikers out there. Not to put a ding in Anish at all, just putting a bit of "commonly" held comparison to the filter of actual experience. Is it true that (very generally speaking) An AT 30 is a PCT 40? Not a harder or easier comparison, just the simple grading issue and if you've found that semi-sorta- wisdom held up in real life. I've found my few visits to the Denver area roughly match that, but I've never been out west long enough to acclimate so I find myself about dead even as far as MPH goes out there. Climbing a thousand feet, straight up or over a gentler grade seems to take the same amount of time and effort overall, an hour's an hour whether you cover a mile or two miles in that hour is the way it was once explained to me- neither is easier, harder, better or worse- it just is what it is. One day I'll find out for myself but in the meantime, what's your take?

fredmugs
07-29-2013, 08:37
I've only done a few hundred miles on the PCT but for the most part you are walking. By walking I mean a normal stride. You're not sticking your head down looking at rocks, mud, tree roots, etc. From the Mexican border to the San Jacintos nothing made me sweat (and I sweat a lot). Even when I did the PCT/JMT stretch going over the big passes and summitting Whitney it was at a much faster pace than going thru the Whites or the tough stretches of Maine. It is truly "just walking."

Other than the big passes I could hike at a pace similar to going thru SNP.

Malto
07-29-2013, 09:35
Serious question for Mags, Malto, and other PCT hikers out there. Not to put a ding in Anish at all, just putting a bit of "commonly" held comparison to the filter of actual experience. Is it true that (very generally speaking) An AT 30 is a PCT 40? Not a harder or easier comparison, just the simple grading issue and if you've found that semi-sorta- wisdom held up in real life. I've found my few visits to the Denver area roughly match that, but I've never been out west long enough to acclimate so I find myself about dead even as far as MPH goes out there. Climbing a thousand feet, straight up or over a gentler grade seems to take the same amount of time and effort overall, an hour's an hour whether you cover a mile or two miles in that hour is the way it was once explained to me- neither is easier, harder, better or worse- it just is what it is. One day I'll find out for myself but in the meantime, what's your take?

In general it depends. In a normal snow year like this year I would say that the PCT is pretty much like the trail in VA on average. There are rocky areas, overgrown areas and depending on the snow year, can have hundreds of miles of snow. So overall, I believe the PCT is a better hiking surface and I would prefer it over the AT. But I hiked almost all of Vermont south and I have had no trouble keeping the same pace on the AT as I did on the PCT. In the case of Anish, any way you look at it a 50 mile day is going to take a good 16 hours regardless of the trail.

i suspect that the whole 40 is 30 argument is much less valid for extremely strong hikers. There is much less penalty for elevation gain and loss because the fitness level allows for a much more constant pace within a certain range. Where the AT likely will cost hikers time is in the north where its as much about climbing as hiking but that is a fairly small percentage of the overall mileage. I will hold final judgement until I'm done with that section.

how about next year we switch Anish and Matt and get a definitive answer. You would have to have another ideal year on the PCT like this year to have it clean.

Mags
07-29-2013, 11:18
IMO, only northern New England from say Greylock north is truly harder than what is found on the PCT (at least IMO). Those little mountains are wicked killah! :)

The grades may be steeper on the AT, but they are shorter climbs.

I think that most people have the AT as the harder of the three trails physically because it is (usually) their first trail with corresponding heavier gear, a lesser experience base and a lesser fitness base.

Talk to Garlic who did the AT as his last leg of the Triple Crown. He found the experience enjoyable and rather pleasant during his 4 month hike.

Not to say the AT is "easy" by any means. Much rain, the humid heat in the mid-Atlantic and of course the gnarly terrain of northern New England makes for its own unique set of challenges.

Truthfully, I think the AT and PCT are a wash in terms overall difficulty. But that's me.

frisbeefreek
07-29-2013, 13:57
I'm going to disagree with a couple of posters above - I think the PCT is significantly faster that the AT. For me, its probably a good 6-7mpd difference on leisurely hiking, but if I pushed it (say with a record attempt), that difference would be more like 10mpd.

My average trail speed on the AT was 2.5mph, on the PCT it was 3.0mph. The PCT has a couple of advantages for speed in my opinion--

There is much less elevation gain/loss (something like 100ft/mile on average). My general rule is that 1000' in vertical gain costs me an extra 10minutes, so this easily adds up to 30 minutes loss/day on the AT. Also, the downs on the PCT are less steep, so it's easier to stride it out and speed up a bit.

The PCT treadway is much better (ignoring snow). Night hiking is much easier (less risk of blowing an ankle). When clocking 16hr days, this is crucial.

Rain has a greater impact on the AT than the PCT. Slick footing on the AT really slowed me down, as well as sapping energy and just making for general mental misery. For the most part, the PCT is dry. Record attempts will choose a low snow year and reach Washington before late season.

There is no question that large sections of the AT have good treadway, but I spent way too much time looking at roots & rocks, rather than scenery. I really don't remember sections of the PCT where I couldn't maintain a natural stride.

Just Bill
07-29-2013, 20:30
I like Malto's Anish/Kirk switcheroo idea- only fair way to tell. Lots of variables on the PCT to account for that make it tough as mentioned, snow conditions, and I know most folks don't have an issue, but acclimating and elevation are always a crap shoot. I have a friend in the U.P. who can't go anywhere west, the elevation knocks him on his ass. My last trip to the smokies left me running at 90% and that was only Denver level elevations. I think Malto may have one of the main issues covered- most folks do the AT first, so their PCT trip tends to go better which fuels the rumor. I think your second trip you'd see your mileage improve regardless of the second trail taken. Frisbee's got a point, especially if the elevation doesn't affect you much. As far a speed hikes go, I think the better treadway argument is a good one. I've night hiked on the AT, but many times it seems barely worth it after the eyestrain headaches and reduced pace. I've believe I've read some of Garlic's stuff, in his case after 5000k miles of hiking I have to believe whatever trail is third (assuming your health is good) it would have to be pleasant strolling. A never ending debate to be sure- but thanks for the good feedback.

frisbeefreek
07-29-2013, 22:28
In terms of "faster trail", this year both Anish & Matt are going to finish around 60 days, but Anish will have done 500 more miles, or about 8mpd.

I think it's a useful comparison because both are going to roughly set a unsupported record, so we have a fastest known time for each trail set simultaneously. It's not apples to apples (no 2 hikes ever will be), but taking the top performance from each trail and comparing them provides a reasonable quantitative window into the speed of the trail.

Just to be clear, I'm only discussing trail speed, not difficulty (which is multi-variable).

Just Bill
07-29-2013, 22:50
Just to be clear, I'm only discussing trail speed, not difficulty (which is multi-variable).[/QUOTE]

Agreed and solid argument.

hobbs
07-29-2013, 23:30
Anish Iam follwing on FB and have been, But theres a guy also trying to break the record thats started after her and is right behind her..

Just Bill
07-29-2013, 23:38
Anish Iam follwing on FB and have been, But theres a guy also trying to break the record thats started after her and is right behind her..

Intrigue, mystery, suspense! Dig up some info young man. First a potential AT record, now a potential PCT record and a showdown/photo finish on top of it...

hobbs
07-29-2013, 23:56
Intrigue, mystery, suspense! Dig up some info young man. First a potential AT record, now a potential PCT record and a showdown/photo finish on top of it...
All O know about him is he got some media attention because he had problems after the Desert portion and refused medical attention. He took a zero to charge the batteries and People following Anish were upset because it didnt report her atempt..But From what I remember he's not that far behind her, Intrigueing it is..Who will be the record holder no one knows..

Sly
07-30-2013, 00:23
With women hold both the AT and PCT speed records, males will have to start wearing a bag over their head.

fredmugs
07-31-2013, 12:11
Just saw this or her FB page:

Somehow, perhaps the adrenaline of nearly being done, I feel like Oregon and California never happened. As I dragged myself around Mt. Hood, I promised myself it was my last 50. Yet now that I am in Washington I keep pushing 50's. I am hiking until 11 or midnight because the terrain is harder, yet it doesn't matter. I am chronically fatigued and yet it doesn't matter. I don't feel the desperate relentlessness that I did in Oregon. I simply cannot stop. I charge through glacial rivers in the dark that I shouldn't be fording at night. I charge at mt. lions roaring. If I was a machine before I am something far more primal now. The end is close and nothing else seems to matter but getting there.

Snoqualmie tomorrow, come hell or high water.

Sly
07-31-2013, 14:56
Just saw this or her FB page:

Somehow, perhaps the adrenaline of nearly being done, I feel like Oregon and California never happened. As I dragged myself around Mt. Hood, I promised myself it was my last 50. Yet now that I am in Washington I keep pushing 50's. I am hiking until 11 or midnight because the terrain is harder, yet it doesn't matter. I am chronically fatigued and yet it doesn't matter. I don't feel the desperate relentlessness that I did in Oregon. I simply cannot stop. I charge through glacial rivers in the dark that I shouldn't be fording at night. I charge at mt. lions roaring. If I was a machine before I am something far more primal now. The end is close and nothing else seems to matter but getting there.

Snoqualmie tomorrow, come hell or high water.

Yikes, hopefully she doesn't flame out or injure herself. There are some difficult fords and if not completely cleared, miles of blow downs to navigate yet to come.

Apparently Anish isn't too worried about her safety from stalkers as her east coast counterparts, as it appears she's posting live (with a big smile on her face).

Sly
08-02-2013, 10:18
Anish picked up her last resupply and is on the last leg of her hike from Snoqualmie Pass to the Border. (publicly announced on Facebook)

While the 2nd half of WA is only 15 miles longer it has nearly 50% more elevation gain. I fudged her times on PCT Planner to 3.5 mph for 18 hours pd with 30 minutes added per 1000' and came up with the following stats which should at least show the difficulty remaining. What it doesn't show is the number of blowdowns and gnarly fords left to navigate.

Cascade Locks to Snoqualmie Pass
7-27-13 to 8-1-13 (
(northbound hike)

Days
4.7days walking
0.0on trail layover days
0.0in town layover days
(0.0 in town "zero" days)

4.7Total days

Averages
without layovers:
51.9 mi/day
6,318 ft/day

Trail
Base Distance:246.7 mi
Extra Distance: 0.0 mi
Total Distance:246.7 mi

Base Elevation gain:30,007 ft
Extra EG:0 ft
Total Elevation gain:30,007 ft

Resupply count:0

Snoqualmie Pass to Manning Park
8-2-13 to 8-7-13 (
(northbound hike)

Days
5.4days walking
0.0on trail layover days
0.0in town layover days
(0.0 in town "zero" days)

5.4Total days

Averages
without layovers:
48.8 mi/day
8,136 ft/day

Trail
Base Distance:261.7 mi
Extra Distance: 0.0 mi
Total Distance:261.7 mi

Base Elevation gain:43,663 ft
Extra EG:0 ft
Total Elevation gain:43,663 ft

Malto
08-02-2013, 11:04
Glacier Peak will likely slow her down, at least it did for me. Once she goes by Stehekin, it is a fairly easy trail to do high mileage. The next few days will be key.

Malto
08-02-2013, 11:15
Boys and Girls, we may have a very exciting horse race developing on the PCT. You have Anish in the Road Stretch, Josh Garrison somewhere behind going NoBo on a record attempt and Scott Williamson is report lay heading back SoBo very likely on a record run. will Anish push Scott to find another gear? Absolutely fascinating to see our perceived limitations get shattered. Will tomorrows 50 mile day be yesterday's 30 in the speed hiking world. (Anish is putting up some serious miles. How does she paint on those smiles in every picture, she could yet possibly be having fun. :)

Just Bill
08-02-2013, 11:28
Is that the Josh Garrison who attempted the AT earlier this spring? If so, excellent news for him. Strong hiker and good kid who just needed some more time on the trail to be a superstar. Anish is the embodiment of speed hiking to me thus far; pushing herself to the physical limits of JOY. She's like my two year old who runs like a demon just because it's fun. Scott's back on too? Wowie. Not sure who's could do it, but is there a MapMan/Odd Man Out capable person out there who can spreadsheet it up for PCT noobs like me to follow along better? 2013- the year of the backpacker!

Malto
08-02-2013, 11:40
Is that the Josh Garrison who attempted the AT earlier this spring? If so, excellent news for him. Strong hiker and good kid who just needed some more time on the trail to be a superstar. Anish is the embodiment of speed hiking to me thus far; pushing herself to the physical limits of JOY. She's like my two year old who runs like a demon just because it's fun. Scott's back on too? Wowie. Not sure who's could do it, but is there a MapMan/Odd Man Out capable person out there who can spreadsheet it up for PCT noobs like me to follow along better? 2013- the year of the backpacker!

my bad, it is Josh Garrett, too many Josh running around.

http://www.forksoverknives.com/plant-powered-athlete-josh-garrett-attempts-pacific-crest-trail-speed-record/

Just Bill
08-02-2013, 12:41
Found this too- https://www.facebook.com/josh.garrett.505

slbirdnerd
08-02-2013, 12:46
Hey, thanks for sharing, wish I'd have popped in earlier! This woman ROCKS! Good luck, Anish!

Sly
08-02-2013, 12:57
Found this too- https://www.facebook.com/josh.garrett.505

I think they both started June 10 and Josh just entered Washington, so unless I'm missing something, he's on track to beat Scott's record but 4 days behind Anish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pdb26rb40A#at=15

fredmugs
08-03-2013, 11:48
Isn't Anish doing her hike unsupported while this Josh guy has corporate support? Both amazing feats but they are two different hikes.

Sly
08-03-2013, 12:13
Isn't Anish doing her hike unsupported while this Josh guy has corporate support? Both amazing feats but they are two different hikes.

In the video, besides the corporate sponsors*, it sounds like it may be a supported hike as he mentions having to carry a backpack in the High Sierra.

*I don't think sponsors (gear, cliff bars, socks, shoes etc.) excludes you from a "unsupported or self-supported" hike, only help from others along the trail to actually make the trip faster)

Would someone mailing a drop be considered help in this regard?

Sly
08-04-2013, 04:35
At 11:34pm local, Anish posted from Stevens Pass, only 183.7 miles to go!

Anish Hikes (https://www.facebook.com/AnishHikes?ref=stream&hc_location=stream)

And now, in the cold, foggy night I walk across the next to last hwy and into the wilderness.

I will post again when I'm done.
Much love, Anish

Sly
08-04-2013, 04:49
If you're not following on Facebook here's a touching piece she wrote on Friday.

Anish Hikes
Friday via mobile

I imagine people may think I am a natural athlete, the girl who played sports all through school. The exact opposite is true. I was an overweight child, a bookworm who sat with her nose in an adventure book and daydreamed. I never exercised and couldn't make it around the track without walking. When I graduated high school I weighed 200lbs.

I daydreamed of adventure, but the thing I daydreamed the most was that I would someday set a record. Not just any record though, an athletic record. I wanted so desperately to not be what I was. I hated my body and myself. I consoled myself by eating a bowls full of oreos and milk as though they were cereal. But somewhere deep inside I knew I was capable of doing something more.

When I was 20 I met something that would forever change my life. A Trail. Though my first few hikes were miserable as I forced my body to work, I was enthralled. Trails took me on the adventures I craved and to beautiful, wondrous, wild places. I lost my heart and soul...and eventually 70 lbs...to the trails.

Now, I am a few short days away from fulfilling my oldest daydream: setting an athletic record. I cry when I think about all the things I have overcome to get here, both on this hike and off. It makes me ever so grateful to that chubby girl who dared to dream big, audacious dreams. I am even more thankful that she grew up to be a woman courageous enough to make those dreams reality.

4Bears
08-04-2013, 05:46
Here is a quote from the "Anish Hikes" page about 5 hours ago............................... "And now, in the cold, foggy night I walk across the next to last hwy and into the wilderness.

I will post again when I'm done. "
Much love, Anish

Malto
08-04-2013, 08:49
If you're not following on Facebook here's a touching piece she wrote on Friday.

Anish Hikes
Friday via mobile

I imagine people may think I am a natural athlete, the girl who played sports all through school. The exact opposite is true. I was an overweight child, a bookworm who sat with her nose in an adventure book and daydreamed. I never exercised and couldn't make it around the track without walking. When I graduated high school I weighed 200lbs.

I daydreamed of adventure, but the thing I daydreamed the most was that I would someday set a record. Not just any record though, an athletic record. I wanted so desperately to not be what I was. I hated my body and myself. I consoled myself by eating a bowls full of oreos and milk as though they were cereal. But somewhere deep inside I knew I was capable of doing something more.

When I was 20 I met something that would forever change my life. A Trail. Though my first few hikes were miserable as I forced my body to work, I was enthralled. Trails took me on the adventures I craved and to beautiful, wondrous, wild places. I lost my heart and soul...and eventually 70 lbs...to the trails.

Now, I am a few short days away from fulfilling my oldest daydream: setting an athletic record. I cry when I think about all the things I have overcome to get here, both on this hike and off. It makes me ever so grateful to that chubby girl who dared to dream big, audacious dreams. I am even more thankful that she grew up to be a woman courageous enough to make those dreams reality.

wow, that is pretty cool. This entry should be copied and pasted into every "stop and smell the flowers" threads." I would seems she is living in a rose.

fredmugs
08-04-2013, 11:05
In the video, besides the corporate sponsors*, it sounds like it may be a supported hike as he mentions having to carry a backpack in the High Sierra.

*I don't think sponsors (gear, cliff bars, socks, shoes etc.) excludes you from a "unsupported or self-supported" hike, only help from others along the trail to actually make the trip faster)

Would someone mailing a drop be considered help in this regard?IMO: Someone mailing you food would not be because you still have to go and get it. Someone bringing you food is.

Just Bill
08-04-2013, 22:29
Fred- Shhhhh! You are confused. How you pay for supplies (bought with your cash, as opposed to bought with another's cash) has nothing to do with how you receive said supplies, you appear to have grasped the situation in your last post. Everyone else- This Gal is what it's all about...

4Bears
08-06-2013, 07:59
From the "Anish Hikes" page 20 hours ago.... "Heather is at about mile 2515. She is on the West side of Glacier Peak. She has about 145 miles to go. So close."

4Bears
08-06-2013, 18:36
Here is a post from the Anish Hikes page, .... Kevin Douglas (https://www.facebook.com/kevin.douglas.35513?hc_location=stream)
Heather just gave me a spot beacon mark at 1:15 pm and she just hit the Stehekin Road/Agnes Creek which is mile 2574. She is 20 miles from Highway 20 and 80 miles from the border and 88 miles from Manning park.

Write a comment...

Venchka
08-06-2013, 19:24
August 7 finish. You go girl!

Wayne

Malto
08-06-2013, 20:06
Assuming she finishes on her current pace..... She absolutely smashed the record. Knocking 6 days off a 64 days is absolutely incredible. And the great thing is that she is beating a mortal's record unlike Matt :) anyone know if Scott started SoBo

Sly
08-06-2013, 21:29
Here is a post from the Anish Hikes page, .... Kevin Douglas (https://www.facebook.com/kevin.douglas.35513?hc_location=stream)

Heather just gave me a spot beacon mark at 1:15 pm and she just hit the Stehekin Road/Agnes Creek which is mile 2574. She is 20 miles from Highway 20 and 80 miles from the border and 88 miles from Manning park.

The profile

If I were her I'd spend my last night on the high ridge towards the end of the section (highest pt. in Washington). It's absolutely incredible up there.

Just Bill
08-07-2013, 08:34
TODAY?! Best wishes to Anish~!

Just Bill
08-07-2013, 08:36
Assuming she finishes on her current pace..... She absolutely smashed the record. Knocking 6 days off a 64 days is absolutely incredible. And the great thing is that she is beating a mortal's record unlike Matt :) anyone know if Scott started SoBo
:DLOL- (ps- couldn't find any Scott info- no idea where to go either- the fella isn't exactly a media whore)

fredmugs
08-07-2013, 09:15
I'm quite positive Scott did his last record hike SOBO.

Sly
08-07-2013, 09:45
I'm quite positive Scott did his last record hike SOBO.

Not sure, but previous to that Scott and Joe, and then Scott and Adam, hiked north.

Edit:

Perhaps even more amazingly, in 2011 Williamson beat his record with Bradley by less than one day by hiking north to south in 64d11h19m, August 8 - October 11. This was Williamson's 13th thru-hike of the PCT!

Malto
08-07-2013, 21:40
And over on the left coast..... Anish went through Harts Pass at 1:40pm. That is about 30 miles from the border and she is expecting to finish before midnight. Along with Matt and the two guy that set the JMT record that makes three speed records in a week.

Sly
08-07-2013, 22:18
And over on the left coast..... Anish went through Harts Pass at 1:40pm. That is about 30 miles from the border and she is expecting to finish before midnight. Along with Matt and the two guy that set the JMT record that makes three speed records in a week.

Anish in real time with her pesky fans.

Sly
08-07-2013, 22:27
“My day starts at 5 am. I will walk all day at 3 mph, stopping only to get water, dump sand from my shoes or such. Each stop lasts but a few minutes. I walk until the miles pile up, until night falls and my headlamp comes out, until the aching in my feet and legs seems unbearable. The last miles I am stumbling, tripping. Finally, I pitch my tent on whatever surface is available. It may be flat, or not, or rock hard, but it is home for the next few hours. Inside I struggle to choke down a protein shake; my exhaustion overrides my hunger. I peel socks off from blistered swollen feet. I crawl into my sleeping bag and prop my feet on my food bag. Pain, spasms, cramps, sharp cries that shoot along my nerves; my legs and feet make it hard for me to sleep. I clench my teeth against the jolts and wait for exhaustion to overcome me again.”

— From Heather Anderson’s trail journal (http://runhikelivelove.blogspot.com/), week one.

http://halfpastdone.com/2013/07/17/anish-hikes-the-quiet-pursuit-of-an-fkt/

Malto
08-07-2013, 22:30
Anish in real time with her pesky fans.

she look miserable.

Sly
08-08-2013, 11:22
Saw this on Facebook.

Dave Super (https://www.facebook.com/dave.super.10/posts/284310148377353)
Just saw a from post Heather "Anish" Anderon's mother, Heather hit her spot at or about the border at 11:30. It look's like she's done it!! This is very prelininary, but it looks like she's set a new PCT FKT in approximately 60 days, 17 hours. Way to go Heather, you're amazing!!

corialice81
08-08-2013, 11:40
Is her pack list posted?

Sly
08-08-2013, 11:42
Is her pack list posted?

You may want to look around her blog.

http://runhikelivelove.blogspot.com/

Mags
08-08-2013, 13:32
she look miserable.

All smiling and with happy children. She should stop and smell the roses!!!!!

;)

The Solemates
08-08-2013, 17:11
this thread sure is refreshing after reading the mess over on matt's that everyone had to trash

JustaTouron
08-08-2013, 17:40
She doesn't hold the southbound record, and personally find that one more impressive. :):p

fredmugs
08-08-2013, 18:40
https://www.facebook.com/AnishHikes?hc_location=stream

61:17:12

Sly
08-08-2013, 18:50
UPDATE at Aug. 8, 10:30 a.m.: Unconfirmed reports have Heather “Anish” Anderson finishing the Pacific Crest Trail at 11:30 p.m. on Aug. 7, 2013. That would break the speed record of 64 days by 3-4 days. Reports from Josh Garrett’s friends indicate he will finish this afternoon in a time that would break Anderson’s new record by about two days.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2013/aug/08/pacific-crest-trail-taking-a-beating/

I guess we can add another category to FKT speed hikes. Semi-supported.

Venchka
08-08-2013, 19:02
UPDATE at Aug. 8, 10:30 a.m.: Unconfirmed reports have Heather “Anish” Anderson finishing the Pacific Crest Trail at 11:30 p.m. on Aug. 7, 2013. That would break the speed record of 64 days by 3-4 days. Reports from Josh Garrett’s friends indicate he will finish this afternoon in a time that would break Anderson’s new record by about two days.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...ing-a-beating/ (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2013/aug/08/pacific-crest-trail-taking-a-beating/)

I guess we can add another category to FKT speed hikes. Semi-supported.

Heather “Anish” Anderson Rocks! She definitely Hiked Her Own Hike! Heather can hold her head up way high!

The other guy... not so much.

Now. It would appear that the next hurdle is a round trip FKT.

Wayne

Malto
08-08-2013, 19:44
Heather “Anish” Anderson Rocks! She definitely Hiked Her Own Hike! Heather can hold her head up way high!

The other guy... not so much.

Now. It would appear that the next hurdle is a round trip FKT.

Wayne

Scott already holds the official yo yo record though there are rumors that it was stealthy broken. Josh flew below the radar. It will be interesting to this play out. If josh does break the record, then that will be four records in a very short time. I assume the Josh's hike would be supported but I have seen many reports about it.

Malto
08-08-2013, 20:00
After a bit of searching josh would definitely not be unsupported. So I believe both anish and josh would each hold the individual records assuming he finishes on track.

Just Bill
08-08-2013, 20:06
Congrats to Anish!

4Bears
08-08-2013, 20:43
Here is the finish time................... 61 days, 17 hours, 12 minutes
Info from the Anish Hikes page

Just Bill
08-08-2013, 21:07
http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/thread/29/pacific-crest-trail-ca-wa?page=1&scrollTo=29 already on FKT! Everyone is fast right now!

Sly
08-08-2013, 21:35
http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/thread/29/pacific-crest-trail-ca-wa?page=1&scrollTo=29 already on FKT! Everyone is fast right now!

LOL... they must have put it up right before your post. It wasn't there about an hour ago.

Last Edit:
37 minutes ago

That header is going to get crowded when they add Josh.

fredmugs
08-09-2013, 08:03
Anish says she miscalculated at it was actually 60:17:12.

Just Bill
08-09-2013, 10:00
Anish says she miscalculated at it was actually 60:17:12.

LOL- that day zero thing still gives me headaches too. Even among elites, the general theory still holds true: Backpacking robs you of the ability to perform mathematics.;)

Mikey Appleseed
08-09-2013, 14:36
Theres something to consider here...Josh had one person resupply him with vegan food at the trail. Reports out there have him with a staff of support, it appears not. Now, trail magic was not taken by Josh, and Anish had her blog up and encountered lots of trail angels that showered her with food. A pic of a pizza box and her 30 miles from the border and admittedly eaten 3 pieces and a coke...another report is she had at least one trailside resupply. Seems this trail magic don't count as long as its "not planned" is rather insulting. Both hikes seems supported to a point, but isn't the idea to have the fastest trail time? And then theres the resupplys...she was smoking 40s and 50s and that's not counting resupply. I personally would like to have seen her record supported, but wont pass judgement on ppl that do, his job was to HIKE THE TRAIL THE FASTEST.

Mikey Appleseed
08-09-2013, 14:38
And I don't think the record is done yet this season.

JustaTouron
08-09-2013, 14:49
Seems this trail magic don't count as long as its "not planned" is rather insulting.

You do make a point. If you are an attractive female, blogging about you attempt to break the trail record, odds are you are going to get more magic than the avg. hiker. Fans are going to show up to root you on and of course they are going to bring food. One positive thing about Matt's stealth agenda is if he received trail magic it was organic and not white blazers showing up specifically to aid him.

Sly
08-09-2013, 15:06
Who considers the guideline of unplanned trail magic insulting?

Just a simple question, how much of the trail did Josh carry a pack?

Mikey Appleseed
08-09-2013, 15:19
From what I know he had a bag the whole time! His support was food. Special vegan food, and he raised 28G's for animal safety. But, hes not claiming unsupported! At times they were together and Anish had a hoard of helpers and the supported guy was alone. But, shes awesome and should not be ashamed to live up to anishabe. She has the ladys nobo record, and that's wonderful! Why tarnish a good thing? The whole finishing so close to each other really confused and upset people.

Sly
08-09-2013, 15:29
If he carried his pack the entire way there's some gray area for sure. I'm happy for both and hope not too many, that weren't even on the trail, don't get too bend out of shape. They both did awesome.

Mikey Appleseed
08-09-2013, 15:31
And Sly, I am insulted! I do trail magic! Ive hiked 30 miles(the length he had left), with 3 slices of pizza and a coke or less! That's a resupply right there to a speed hike! Anyhow, these are things that will come up when you paint yourself unsupported. Some are questioning her resupplys as she walked in and out of each resupply town, and that's not easy on the pct! Its a great piece of chess that changes as fast as the economy and times(places going in and out of business, like Post Offices). I heard she carried more to resupply less, which is awesome and interesting, because imagine how fast and light she could have been...Anyhow, new records to dream of! Whoo-hoo!

Mikey Appleseed
08-09-2013, 15:32
"she had left..."

Sly
08-09-2013, 21:56
In Anish's own words...

Anish Hikes (https://www.facebook.com/AnishHikes/posts/505082362907759)
Some people have been confused by the parallel record set the day after mine by Josh Garrett. I just want to clarify the difference between the two:

I hold the overall *unsupported* record for the PCT, meaning I carried all of my supplies and walked into and out of towns to obtain more (which added about 30 miles to my hike). I had no prearranged support meeting me along the way.

Josh holds the overall *supported* record for the PCT (and overall fastest time across categories), meaning he had a dedicated support team who met him along the way with his supplies so he did not have to walk into towns. His support team may have also provided additional assistance, I don't really know.

For all the long distance trails there are separate, parallel records for supported and unsupported since the differences between the two are so significant. It is amazing that both unsupported and supported records for the PCT were smashed this year within hours of one another. I really hope to meet Josh someday and give him hearty congratulations on his epic hike since we never met on trail.

Mikey Appleseed
08-10-2013, 11:42
23323 Unsupported...

Sly
08-10-2013, 12:34
23323 Unsupported...

Anish could have completed her hike without anyone meeting her, handouts or trail magic. Could Josh?

Mikey Appleseed
08-10-2013, 12:43
A. Why didn't she? B. Im sure he could! He had a zero and still beat her time! Plus its not a factor, shes the one claiming unsupported!

Miner
08-10-2013, 12:57
Some are questioning her resupplys as she walked in and out of each resupply town, and that's not easy on the pct! Its a great piece of chess that changes as fast as the economy and times(places going in and out of business, like Post Offices). I heard she carried more to resupply less, which is awesome and interesting, because imagine how fast and light she could have been...Anyhow, new records to dream of! Whoo-hoo! That was the rule Scott set with the previous unsupported record as he stated upfront that he wouldn't ride in a car and would walk to all his resupplies. The fact that he also beat the previous supported record by David Horton was also amazing. So to beat his record and not have an footnote next to your name, you had to play by the same rules. And when you are doing 40+ miles/day, it isn't that hard on the PCT to supply that way since you can more easily pick and choose where to supply since you can bypass some places.

Mikey Appleseed
08-10-2013, 13:03
Not if you call Guinness and tell them your doing the fastest hike! There will be no talk of all those self imposed hoops in a real record! lol...laughable! Shes the nobo womens speed queen.

4Bears
08-10-2013, 14:09
I guess I don't understand when "trail magic" became support. I am pretty sure others that had previously set speed records on the PCT and other trails received some magic along the way, and if so was that then called support? To me support is a planned thing to be relied upon and magic just happens even if it may well have targeted but not planned upon by the recipient.

Sly
08-10-2013, 14:13
A. Why didn't she? B. Im sure he could! He had a zero and still beat her time! Plus its not a factor, shes the one claiming unsupported!

You're sitting at home and you'd deny Anish a slice of pizza from a trail angel?

I'm speaking about resupply. No one brought Anish her resupply. Did Josh ever walk into town to get his?

Mikey Appleseed
08-10-2013, 14:31
Listen Sly, be Sly and listen again...hes not "unsupported" No need to talk of his self claimed supported hike! And when you have full pizzas and cokes with 30 miles left, I do think its support. The idea is, the trail magic went above and beyond normal, ppl were bringing stuff JUST FOR HER!!!!!!!!!! Read don't speak....

JustaTouron
08-10-2013, 14:44
Did Josh ever walk into town to get his?

Josh is irrelevant. He holds the fastest supported record.

The question becomes how much trail magic crosses the line, from unsupported to supported. I am not claiming in Anish's case it did.

I am just curious where is the line.

Just Bill
08-10-2013, 15:41
A supported hike is nice, neat and convenient- you simply travel along and receive your stuff. As long as you go from point a to point b- you got it.

Unsupported hikes are tricky dicky. In the case of the PCT- you have fairly straightforward guidelines set by the previous record setter. Speaking generally- as I don't know one way or the other concerning Anish- all resupply's need to be obtained on foot at a traditional place. (P.O. or private business). So far so good. Trail passes a place to buy/obtain food- still fair game.

Trail Magic- Here's the hard part. On one side of a very hard black and white line- accept nothing from anyone. That's the simplest plan- but not realistic nor was it a plan followed by Scott. So now you're in a grey area, which in modern times continues to grow. While the Man himself is available now to comment, we had a serious discussion on this site regarding keeping your location secret, specifically keeping Matt's location secret. While safety was one totally overblown reason- the real reason is happening right now. Matt accepted Trail Magic- a commonly accepted part of any long distance hike and a stance firmly planted in the grey area just off that black and white line. By keeping your location secret, you protect the integrity of your hike by not allowing the trail magic issue to get overblown.

On the far border of that grey area sits a hiker named Anish. Her hike featured live updates (or close enough to it) to allow any well wishers to stop by. Some folks earlier posted that she seemed to have no issues, although she posts that she did have a very disturbing encounter with a gentleman that left her quite unsettled (right near the end)- so the safety concern is still valid. More importantly- because of her choice to keep her location fairly public, she must now deal with questions regarding the integrity of her hike. Did a slice of pizza make or break her hike? Absolutely not. Does it bring up a bit of a question? Absolutely.

Unfortunately, her choices, and her hike is now in the court of public opinion. That's how this thing works. No hard black and white rules to follow. 99% of us will agree that her hike is intact and fine. Honesty is more important than nit-picking. She didn't hide what she did, she didn't cover anything up, she didn't intentionally break the spirit of unsupported or solicit trail magic. (To the best of my knowledge.)

Are you within your rights to discuss it, yes. Just keep something in mind- before you even hint at an impropriety in a fellow backpacker- put yourself in their shoes. Was the (alleged) violation a serious issue? Do you have any proof? If it was you, would you feel you did something wrong? Statements, rumors, innuendo, and vague accusations grow. You may think your comments are innocent, but they may not be. Give the person a chance to turn in a trip report. Generally speaking that's the time to debate, if you still feel you must. She may very well, humbly admit that her choice to update live was a mistake, and led to more trail magic than expected. She could quite innocently and sincerely thought she was posting for friends and family and didn't expect the following and support. A few people argued quite firmly on Matt's behalf regarding this issue, Anish (likely) had no one to back her up and advise her on this potential problem.

Bottom line- she's a backpacker, and so are you. Give her (or anyone) a chance to tell their side of the story. Honesty and integrity are what counts in the speed record community- much more so than black and white statements. Trail Magic- in all it's forms is part of what makes any hike special. A record setting hike is by nature under more scrutiny, but allow the record setter to tell their story before you poke holes in it. You as a fellow human being owe them that if nothing else.

Mikey Appleseed
08-10-2013, 16:17
Well said Just Bill! But lets not change it to one slice....and I know for a fact ppl brought food designed for her and her only, disrespecting the "not planned" loophole, I love the word cause that's what it is, a loophole! They describe it on FB! Pics and all!(the anish magic) The amount of support/magic for has never been seen like this, its why it must be talked about! Theres actually trail angels/support who feel disrespected because they feel they helped her and are not getting pub, only hurting her case. Theres questions about other things, and stuff I cant confirm, so Ill leave it at that. Mucho respect to all hikers, its just tough because when you respect the record for as long as I have, I had to put in my 2 cents...

JustaTouron
08-10-2013, 16:23
Actually this is one big reason not to keep records. Did Anish enjoy her hike? Did Matt? Did Scott? Did Jenn? Did Ward? Did Josh? Did they HYOH and follow what ever standards they set for themselves? If yes, then their respective hikes were successful. The ONLY reason they don't get to HYOH, is because of the record claim did they meet the standards of the record.

Just Bill
08-10-2013, 16:37
Well said Just Bill! But lets not change it to one slice....and I know for a fact ppl brought food designed for her and her only, disrespecting the "not planned" loophole, I love the word cause that's what it is, a loophole! They describe it on FB! Pics and all!(the anish magic) The amount of support/magic for has never been seen like this, its why it must be talked about! Theres actually trail angels/support who feel disrespected because they feel they helped her and are not getting pub, only hurting her case. Theres questions about other things, and stuff I cant confirm, so Ill leave it at that. Mucho respect to all hikers, its just tough because when you respect the record for as long as I have, I had to put in my 2 cents...

As I said it should be talked about, if you've watched the records for awhile- you also know the generally accepted practice is that the hiker generates a trip report, at that point the debate begins. Social media, cute chick, very inspirational, possible a bit nieve. Certainly an evolution all around. The PCT is a much tighter trail community too, and I know the angels there take it personally. The issue isn't new, just more public than ever before. Jen and Matt both took steps to remain as private as possible. Scott- never really been a public thing with him either. I still feel there's only really two options- refuse all support- or keep your location private. Did Anish know any better? She does now.

Just Bill
08-10-2013, 16:41
Actually this is one big reason not to keep records. Did Anish enjoy her hike? Did Matt? Did Scott? Did Jenn? Did Ward? Did Josh? Did they HYOH and follow what ever standards they set for themselves? If yes, then their respective hikes were successful. The ONLY reason they don't get to HYOH, is because of the record claim did they meet the standards of the record.
Anish was in desperate danger of splitting her skull open from smiling so big. If there is one thing you should read in her posts and see in her pics is that she had a joyous time on her hike. If you don't like the "rules" you don't have to play, you don't have to pursue or claim a record. There are folks who do just that. There are also plenty of folks who don't mind the VERY limited restrictions imposed, and who willingly accept them when they start their hike.

Mikey Appleseed
08-10-2013, 17:14
Good stuff again Just Bill! I think its time for Guinness to step in and run this record show, to make it legit. Hikers making weird rules...others using loopholes! Manual buzzer!!! Pro Baseball looked like that for a while, but as we can see, its better for all partys and fairness to all to not let the players/hikers make rules. Not that any hike will ever have the same weather, gear, body type, trail magic, $, its never a level playing field, but if we just looked at the speed records with one rule/goal, fastest! Supported/unsupported, however you do it, just do it! We cant go back in time and provide trail magic for past hikers, but if your claiming unsupported, BE UNSUPPORTED! Seems logical...lol.

k2basecamp
08-10-2013, 17:24
Wow, i bet they both never thought they'd be having to answer all of these questions when they were finished but I guess it goes with the territory. We will be seeing these questions a lot more in FKT's. mark this date down.

Sly
08-10-2013, 20:59
A good post from Facebook that helps settle the argument...

I do not know Anish, aka Heather. I ran across her hike thru a mutual friend early on in her hike. I have followed her with such awe. I live in the Methow valley--a short distance from the PCT on Hwy 20 at Rainy Pass (my wonderful backyard) at the end of the trail.

On Tuesday, Aug 6th, a friend and I went to Rainy Pass to hopefully get to see and meet Anish. Unfortunately we had to leave before she arrived, but I left an ice chest filled with fresh fruit, cookies and some cold drinks (by the way it was all vegan). The note I left for Anish was congratulations, but that any through hiker could partake of what I left as long as something was left for Anish. The next day my husband, who knew how much I wanted to meet Anish, went to Hart's pass to meet her and take some photos for me as I was unable to go. He, along with some other folks were there to cheer her on. She was there for about 10 minutes before continuing her final day's hike. My husband then drove from Hart's Pass back over to Rainy Pass to pick up the ice chest I had left the day before. When he arrived at Rainy Pass there was, as he described, a very warm, friendly and caring person. She was Josh's support. She explained to my husband how she had followed Josh for his entire trip from the border to now the finish. She told how she had gone through 3 rental vehicles and laughed how she got so many flats from the backroads that she finally ended up with a truck. At the time Josh was sleeping near the trail next to the parking lot.

While what Josh did was absolutely amazing and needs to have full recognition of an incredible feat, it was very different from what Anish did. Josh had full support. Someone was always there at every crossroads to meet his needs. He never had to mentally worry about getting his next resupply nor be anxious of whether it would be the right things. There was always a known person to meet him with the right things and the right food. Anish on the other hand was "self supported". Her needs were meet only by what her next resupply box held. And in some instances, rather than taking a long trek off the trail she choose to carry more food and supplies. That was extra weight on her back. As an example, her last resupply was Snoqualmie Pass with 262 miles to finish. Josh on the other hand was able to resupply first on Hwy 2, then again on Hwy 20 at Rainy Pass. Carrying that extra weight is big! Anish never had the luxury of knowing there would be someone at the next road crossing with everything she needed. She had to rely on her own preplanning and abilities to get her through. And relying on trail magic would be fool hardy. One would never know if, or when it might appear. (And Karen, I don't think most food left for through hikers is meat).

Anish set the record for the fastest known time "self supported" through hike. Period. Josh set the fastest known time "supported" through hike. Period. They are both absolutely amazing accomplishments!

Mikey Appleseed
08-11-2013, 14:43
If trail magic continues to be called unsupported, it will become a popularity contest for advantage...Are we gonna go back in time and provide Ward Leonard trail magic? Its just 3 slices of pizza here and there, but after 50 roadway crossings, how much is that! If these records ever have a chance at a legit status, we must take past hikers and future hikers into consideration, its hard enough to seem legit with so many differences in everyones hikes, like weather,$, gear, age, and hell even drugs! Im sure people could roid up and smash trails! Nobodys checking! These records right now are just legends! The only one I know first hand for sure is the PCT SUPPORTED by David Horton, because he filmed it! And nobody doubted his toughness and his supported record! Seeing is believing! People who question hikes do more to legitimize them! Think about it! Those who care about records defend them.

Just Bill
08-11-2013, 14:58
Please re-read the above posts. That said, you inadvertently hit on my record breaking strategy. I pack a relatively small quantity, typically a Kilo, of a natural powder derived from the Coca plant. It is an all natural product, although difficult to get here in the states. I have some indigenous people in Columbia who supply me directly. My doctor has advised me against daily use or sporadic use for longer than a week, so I am still working hard to hammer out how to do longer trails at my record setting pace. However I find my strategy allows me to fight sleep deprivation and a host of issues normally plaguing a typical long distance hiker. Not every hiker knows of this secret super food used by the remote villagers in central America, but since I have the luxury- I will be keeping my location very private. In fact to avoid any questions regarding my secret weapon I would avoid any trail magic. Rocket from Standing Bear warned me that so called trail magic is often used as hiker bait by the feds looking to bust innocent hikers who rely on natural substances to fuel their hikes. I would advise any hiker to fly under the radar to avoid this issue.

Mikey Appleseed
08-11-2013, 15:12
I re-readed...lol, I see some good posts! Its not a secret that even blood doping your own blood allows your body to increase the oxygen you take in! FOOD IS SURVIVAL! FOOD IS A HUGE PRIORITY! FREE FOOD YOU DIDNT CARRY IS AN ADVANTAGE, YOU DIDNT HAVE IT! YOU ATE IT! IT HELPED YOU WHERE THERE WAS NO HELP BEFORE! THERES NOT MUCH MORE TO SUPPORT THAN FOOD! WHEN YOUR HIKING UNSUPPORTED IN THE ARTIC, THERES NO TRAIL MAGIC! A FRICKEN M&M WOULD HELP YOU! IM SICK OF ROOTING FOR UNLEGIT RECORDS! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

k2basecamp
08-11-2013, 17:02
I'm trying to imagine how Ward Leonard would handle trail magic?

canoe
08-11-2013, 18:05
Congratulations on a great hike ANish. You are an awsome hiker. The smile on your face tells the whole story!!!!

Sly
08-11-2013, 19:09
The only one I know first hand for sure is the PCT SUPPORTED by David Horton, because he filmed it! And nobody doubted his toughness and his supported record! Seeing is believing! People who question hikes do more to legitimize them! Think about it! Those who care about records defend them.

You could also put a big fat asterisk after David's name too. Supported has always meant having your needs/resupply taken care of at roads crossings, or perhaps on trail, but never have I heard of being guided against getting lost like Brian Robinson did for David through the Sierra.

Josh and other supported hikers often have several different people pace for them during the course of the hike. How fair is that?

People in glass houses....

Meriadoc
08-11-2013, 20:07
A good post from Facebook that helps settle the argument...
"As an example, her last resupply was Snoqualmie Pass with 262 miles to finish. Josh on the other hand was able to resupply first on Hwy 2, then again on Hwy 20 at Rainy Pass."

Holy jumping lizards! A 262 mile resupply. Whew. So on Anish's pace that was 5 days, but still!

Colter
08-12-2013, 03:15
I hope she keeps in mind that on the internet people will always complain about any remarkable public feat. Or anything else for that matter.

On her accepting Trail Magic, here's a quote from Scott Williamson: “I wanted to be very clear as to what I meant by unsupported,” he said. “That meant never riding in a vehicle, so our feet never left the earth the entire way; walking to all our resupplies.” (“Trail magic” like a cooler of food or pop left out for hikers, or handouts from “trail angels” was fair game.) (My bold.) Of course, the complainers would find a photo of Scott sitting on a log dangling his feet and accuse him of being a liar because "his feet left the earth." If you don't like Williamson's rules, hike your own hike with your own set of rules. Good luck hiking as fast as Anish no matter how do it.

She's an incredible athlete who should be extremely proud of the way she hiked.

Mikey Appleseed
08-12-2013, 11:20
Of course Mr. Hortons hike should have an asterisk! Every hike should! Most supported ive ever heard of! Anish should be proud, but her ethics with trail magic are the most relaxed ive ever heard of, but so was the amount of magic provided for a unsupported hike. The funny thing with the willianson rules, its based on a backpacking trip type scenario, where "some" "unplanned" magic is OK. Eating a vegan pizza designed for u and u alone???? With 30 miles left after a 260 section without resupply! Hello, that's just a sample. The funny part is...how many hitch to resupply on there trips? Almost everyone!

jeffmeh
08-12-2013, 11:32
Anish's accomplishment is outstanding by any measure.

Now, I would like to see the definition of self-supported changed to forego trail magic. I interpret Scott Williamson's intent regarding the allowance of trail magic to cover "spontaneous, coincidental" trail magic. The problem here, as others have pointed out, is that with today's social media it is very difficult to avoid a well-wisher bringing trail magic specifically intended for the hiker. That creates a gray area, where at some point, it constitutes support. E.g., grabbing a coke (the carbonated beverage JB :) ) from a cooler when there is plenty of water available makes little difference to the hike, while getting a few full meals extends the distance the hiker can cover before requiring a resupply, so definitely can make a difference.

JustaTouron
08-12-2013, 11:41
Anish's accomplishment is outstanding by any measure.

Now, I would like to see the definition of self-supported changed to forego trail magic. I interpret Scott Williamson's intent regarding the allowance of trail magic to cover "spontaneous, coincidental" trail magic. The problem here, as others have pointed out, is that with today's social media it is very difficult to avoid a well-wisher bringing trail magic specifically intended for the hiker.

That is one option, the other is to accept that yoging as long standing hiking art form, and just like technology has made lighter packs and better shoes, it does allow for better yoging.

Another, rather than refuse all trail magic, is do what Kirk did and not reveal your location, making trail magic intended specifically for you impossible.

Venchka
08-12-2013, 12:14
That is one option, the other is to accept that yoging as long standing hiking art form, and just like technology has made lighter packs and better shoes, it does allow for better yoging.

Another, rather than refuse all trail magic, is do what Kirk did and not reveal your location, making trail magic intended specifically for you impossible.

Here is an heretical thought: Don't do social media. Stick to the hike. Trail Magic meant for first come, first served would be fine.
He said with no first hand experience or knowledge.

Wayne

Mikey Appleseed
08-12-2013, 12:17
I wouldn't say it would be impossible by not telling where you are...Mr. Williamson got "not planned" visits from his wife on trail. The whole things stinks...but its funny that that's allowed, but getting a ride to resupply is sooo offending you cant consider it! lol! Most hikers do it! But, its kinda support I guess...Its just silly, now theres a feeling we had to follow the Williamson rules to respect how the last one did it...yet Horton had the FKT and they didn't follow his style...so much confusion. Personally, I only care who hikes the "trail" miles fastest, cause that's the purpose of a speed record...see races and marathons! And Guinness book of records, who are the most credible record keepers on this planet called earth.

JustaTouron
08-12-2013, 12:24
Here is an heretical thought: Don't do social media. Stick to the hike. Trail Magic meant for first come, first served would be fine.
He said with no first hand experience or knowledge.

Wayne

That is basically what Kirk did.

However, the "absolutely no social media" rule has its own problems. Let say some one today declares they just completed the trail in 57 days. I am sure if they did the comeback would be, "were's the proof?" "how come you didn't announce this in advance?" etc.

There may not be an easy solution.

Venchka
08-12-2013, 13:37
If one is carrying a phone/camera with date and GEO tagging of the photos, proof would be quite simple. Entries in shelter & trail registers would provide backup. Receipts for things bought along the trail. Etc. Etc.
There will always be non-believers.

Wayne

dmax
08-12-2013, 16:20
Congrats Anish on your hike and record. Even though the record only lasted a couple of days, GREAT JOB!!!!

And, Congrats to you Josh for the new record!

Colter
08-12-2013, 17:05
Congrats Anish on your hike and record. Even though the record only lasted a couple of days, GREAT JOB!!!!

And, Congrats to you Josh for the new record!

Right on. Anish still has the all time unsupported PCT record and the women's all time PCT record. Both are HUGE.

Just Bill
08-22-2013, 03:50
Anybody ever figure out if Scott is on the PCT? Have to admit I've been working and haven't taken the time to look for myself- Hard worker- Lazy poster- sorry.

Mags
08-22-2013, 08:21
Anybody ever figure out if Scott is on the PCT? Have to admit I've been working and haven't taken the time to look for myself- Hard worker- Lazy poster- sorry.

AT least according to PCT-L posters:
http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/2013-August/date.html