PDA

View Full Version : 7/21 Monson/Greenville Report

TJ aka Teej
07-25-2005, 13:30
Hi folks,
Out on the Golden Road at the trailhead to the 100 Mile I met Traction's Dad, young brother, and friend who were awaiting his overdue arrival. We marveled at two camo'd southbound hikers who were heading to Georgia. They had 70 pound packs, foot long survival knives, and had a confused idea of where the AT started, as they were unaware that they were starting their hike about 15 miles south of the northern terminus on Baxter Peak. I had hoped Traction would pop out of the woods while the two sobos were still there so we could get a photo of them and Traction - who was sporting a sub 15 pound gear weight.
In Greenville I met up with Kineo Kid at the Hard Drive Cafe "slash" Northwoods Outfitter. Kid (who is spearheading the Moosehead Lake Circuit Trail) turned out to be none other than Christopher Keene, author of Northwoods Walks. I got some great info and tips for the Companion from Kid and Pat, who is the owner of the outfitters. Greenville is 7 miles north of the AT road crossing, Monson is 5 miles south. If Greenville had *any* inexpensive lodging at all many ATers would head there before heading into the 100 mile.
After dodging the moose lookers on the road down to Monson I visited with the owner of Spring Creek Bar-B-Que, who was pleased to share the good news that he's offering work-for-food (yes, FOOD!) this year. He's only open just Thursday through Sunday, though. C&G no longer serves any food at all, but Robinson's still has pizza, snacks, and subs. Lindy of Trail Magic Massage was as charming as ever, no longer waitressing she's able to serve more massage clients now at her 'Moon Melon Emporium.' Tim who owns the General Store shows keen interest in stocking hiker goods, and is excited about the Friday night music sessions in the Store. The young lady who runs the lunch counter inside the General Store has an expanded menu that includes ice cream, milk shakes, and pies. Pat and (young) Keith Shaw were hard at work around the Shaw's Lodging, and want hikers to know that there's no suppers or laundry, and no rooms at the house across the road anymore. Numbers are really picking up in Monson over the last few weeks. The Jersey Boys were back at Shaw's helping out and working hard. This was my first stop back at Shaw's since Mr. Shaw passed away, and I couldn't help but remember the first time I met him over 20 years ago, when he whupped me good at horseshoes.
Also at Shaw's talked with nobos Shadow (having a brunch of chocolate chips stirred into a jar of peanut butter) and Roamin' Gnome, who was relaxing with his brother in the air-conditioned lounge. Lake Shore House is still the nicest laundrymat, with the nicest kitchen, on the AT. LSH is a great place for family members to stay if they're meeting up with hikers in Monson, with canoes and kayaks for rent, too.
Teej

Krag
07-26-2005, 19:49
A lot of good info there, thanks!
:banana