PDA

View Full Version : Frogg Togg Rain Shorts

Chair-man
06-26-2013, 18:42
I got a pair of these Frogg Togg rain shorts (http://www.froggtoggs.com/frogg-toggs-all-sports-waterproof-shorts.html) and I really like them. I've got caught in a couple of good downpours while doing my training hikes through town and I plan to bring them on my AT hike in Sept.
I was wondering if anyone else uses rain shorts on their hikes?
Besides, I'd get some strange looks if I were to wear one of these (http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/cloudkilt.shtml).

B.j. Clark
06-26-2013, 23:08
What is the inseam on these? They look like a good idea for hiking in summer rain.

Chair-man
06-27-2013, 00:23
What is the inseam on these? They look like a good idea for hiking in summer rain.

I got the XL and the inseam is 11" plenty long. they come down to the top of my knees. I'm almost 6'1" with a 38 waist. I got the XL so I could put them over other shorts even though I wear them commando:D. Very airy:D. One other note, they also have a draw string on the bottom of each leg so you can snug them to your thigh if you want. Good deal for $15 bucks. Lots of places sell them online but I couldn't find anyone that shipped for free but I did find them on sale. Since I'm on a rant one last thing. The material is slightly heavier than their UL Frogg Toggs. I guess they expect people to to sit with them and maybe ride bike with them.

Big Dawg
06-27-2013, 00:43
I just wish there wasn't such a large logo/name on the side.

daddytwosticks
06-27-2013, 08:05
I just wish there wasn't such a large logo/name on the side. Black spray paint. Just don't use the rest to graffiti-up the shelters. :)

10-K
06-27-2013, 09:44
Would be a nice thing to wear while doing laundry.....

Summer laundry is a logistical challenge for me because I use a rain skirt (not good for doing laundry) and only have the shorts I'm wearing... IOW, I have nothing to wear while my clothes are in the washer.

I'm going to check a pair of these out - thanks for the heads up.

Water Rat
06-27-2013, 10:03
Are these only available online, or has anyone found any stores that carry these Frogg Togg shorts?

leaftye
06-27-2013, 11:34
Would be a nice thing to wear while doing laundry.....

Summer laundry is a logistical challenge for me because I use a rain skirt (not good for doing laundry) and only have the shorts I'm wearing... IOW, I have nothing to wear while my clothes are in the washer.

I'm going to check a pair of these out - thanks for the heads up.

Nice idea. I was thinking I'd rather use $3 cut off tyvek pants, but the draw cords on these shorts would be good for keeping privates private while seated.

Chair-man
06-27-2013, 12:37
I was actually looking for convertible rain pants and a convertible rain jacket (detachable sleeves) but couldn't find anything.
When I was on the Frogg Togg web site they have a 'contact us' section, so I did and suggested that they make convertible rain wear. So, maybe if enough people contact them and ask for convertible rain ware they might think it's a movement and that's what it would be. The anti status quo rain suite movement:D.

BirdBrain
06-27-2013, 12:43
Are these only available online, or has anyone found any stores that carry these Frogg Togg shorts?

I was wondering the same thing. I don't have time for a shipment wait.

rocketsocks
06-27-2013, 14:10
Nice idea. I was thinking I'd rather use $3 cut off tyvek pants, but the draw cords on these shorts would be good for keeping privates private while seated.After reading Woo's thread this is what I'm envisioning too, though these look like they'd hold up much better.

Dogwood
06-27-2013, 14:33
11" inseam! Whoa! Are they meant for hip hop hikers? I personally like to flaunt my well tanned and toned gams by rocking 7" inseam nylon hiking shorts.

+2 can they PLEASE not have us with a billboard sized logo on our hiking shorts? It's scaring away the wildlife. I'm gonna gag when I see hiking trail runners w/ blinking lights. Hey, they might go well with these shorts? :D

rocketsocks
06-27-2013, 14:45
+2 can they PLEASE not have us with a billboard sized logo on our hiking shorts? It's scaring away the wildlife. I'm gonna gag when I see hiking trail runners w/ blinking lights. Hey, they might go well with these shorts? :D+1 started a thread on this subject as it is a peeve on mine too.

icdaywee
08-29-2013, 18:36
This looks interesting for a cheap alternative to the zpacks cloud kilt. However I'm not too big of a fan of the branding either...

Rasty
08-29-2013, 19:14
For $49.95 you get the "Breathable Fabric" without the large logo

pistol p
09-08-2013, 01:58
I used Frogg Togg pants that I cut into shorts on my thru, this year. They worked great in light rain, but when it came to down pours, they became saturated quite quickly. They ended up wearing a hole in the butt, so I chucked them. I bought a ULA rain wrap, instead. I found that my running shorts dried quite well after a light rain, so I only used the wrap during heavy rains or cold, high winds, to keep warm.

4Bears
09-08-2013, 06:39
I would try Bass Pro or Cabela's, as they both carry FT's.

DeerPath
09-08-2013, 07:26
I found Frogg Toggs shorts on Amazon for $9.16 + 6.99 shipping. http://www.amazon.com/frogg-Sports-Waterproof-Breathable-Shorts/dp/B00BNB3DAO

Shonryu
09-09-2013, 02:30
I personally use a Zpacks rain kilt and don't mind if the squirls on the trail give me funny looks :P Personally I don't care what people think sweating my ass of in rain pants caused me to give up on them along time ago but now seeing these shorts means I may not have to worry about flashing as many people on landry day ^-^

Shonryu
09-09-2013, 08:09
Ordered a pair from Amazon last night. Total cost was $9 and that included shipping.

mainebob
09-09-2013, 08:33
I looked at a rain kilt in Damascus this year, it was too long and expensive. I ended up cutting a pair of frogg togg pro action pant I had and got a pair very cheep for sassafras on eBay and did the same thing. By Virginia it was warm enough to not have rain paints. The shorts worked great for heavy rain on cooler days (we did not wear them in light rain or if it was hot). We also wore them when we did laundry. It warmed out great. Light' no need for rain pants or a spare pair of shorts. FYI, the material never frayed, the taped seams held up we used them a lot.