PDA

View Full Version : Hiking advice for the SNP

gasouthpaw
06-26-2013, 19:55
Looking for hiking advice for hiking the SNP in July. I'll be leaving my car somewhere near the south entrance (suggestions?) then shuttling up and hiking back. Is it realistic to complete this in 6 days? I would like to camp near the shelters since I will be solo and would appreciate some company at the end of the day. Can anyone recommend a daily hiking plan? I just ordered the current data book, but have been reading that water sources can be scare. Any advice would be appreciated:o gasouthpaw

T-Rx
06-26-2013, 20:07
Looking for hiking advice for hiking the SNP in July. I'll be leaving my car somewhere near the south entrance (suggestions?) then shuttling up and hiking back. Is it realistic to complete this in 6 days? I would like to camp near the shelters since I will be solo and would appreciate some company at the end of the day. Can anyone recommend a daily hiking plan? I just ordered the current data book, but have been reading that water sources can be scare. Any advice would be appreciated:o gasouthpaw

gasouthpaw,
i just completed this section last week. Lots of thru hikers were in the area. This section can be done in 6 days but it will require 6 days of 10-15+ miles a day. The shelters provide the best opportunity for camping space although there are a few dispersed campsites as well. Water is typically only at the shelters (huts) as there are only a couple of stream crossings. Water was plentiful though with all springs flowing well. Be sure to stop at loft mountain wayside for a cheeseburger and shake but be prepared for price shock (2 cheeseburgers, fries, 2 drinks and a milkshake for about $30. But it was oh so good!). Have a great hike and if I can help with any other questions please let me know.

FarmerChef
06-26-2013, 20:08

6 days is definitely possible. The challenge lies in the camping regulations and the shelters (called huts in SNP). The spacing of the shelters typically makes for either a very short day or a very long day. Camping in between is next to impossible to do legally unless you hike off trail a significant distance to get clear of Skyline drive which the trail follows closely for much of the park. We found only two spots in our trip that we felt at least mostly comfortable camping in that weren't next to a shelter and one of those was on non park service owned land. Be sure to read SNP's backcountry camping regulations and I would suggest that you have a map with you to help you ascertain distances from roads, other trails, water sources, etc.

As for water, I didn't have any trouble on my trip but that was in the fall. It's been raining a lot here lately so springs shouldn't be too bad. There is also potable water at the Waysides and a few other spots along the trail. When in doubt, fill up. At least, that's what's worked for me ;)

Oh and I highly recommend atdist.com. It uses the data book in an easy to use format that you can use to check distances between huts and waypoints. I couple this with the ATC's online interactive map and local maps to figure out a sample itinerary.

Enjoy your hike!