PDA

View Full Version : Falls close to 19E crossing

Nearly Normal
07-25-2005, 13:37
Elk River Falls
While visiting Boone NC 3 years ago in the fall my wife and I explored the area. I was interested about the AT and locals pointed us to the Roan Mountain area. The road to the top of Roan was closed so we parked at Carver's Gap and hiked up to Jane Bald. It was indeed an impressive view of the valley.
This is where the AT bug bit. I've been hiking and backpacking ever sense.

The other area attraction listed close by was Elk River Falls . With good directions we found that also. It is on my return visit list. The road to the falls was littered with huge amounts of yard junk. Very surprising in contrast to the Falls area.

The Falls is tall with a large volume of water ending into a large deep looking pool. A long rock juts out in the pool and is a perfect place to picnic. This looks like a premium swimming hole for a summer dip.

With all the new trail relocation in the area does anyone know if the trail now visits or is close to this falls?
If not it is still a great place to visit while in the area. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Thanks
Pete

orangebug
07-26-2005, 11:14
I don't recall the Elk River Falls, but that section has a short blue blaze trail to the John's River Falls, the tallest waterfall on the AT. There are a few places north on the trail where you can see the falls. The new relo has more water sources available - which is good since it is an additional 4 miles.

Congratulations on getting the bug.

Nearly Normal
07-26-2005, 12:59
OK,
After a google search This is what I found. Its close to the Roan Mountain area and directions are on the site. http://www.ncwaterfalls.com/elk1.htm
Having visited it once before I hope the new trail relocations in the area take hikers close.
Pete

Mountain Dew
07-26-2005, 15:35
The relocation of 2003 in that area was not placed near the falls for many reasons. The A.T. as it now stands is about .8 away from the falls. There is noway a hiker could find the falls from the A.T. unless he had somebody draw him a detailed map of the side trails and forrest service roads in which to travel. I was there on monday afternoon and saw no less than a 100 people at the falls in the course of 4 hours. A guy died at the falls three or so days ago because he fell from the top while trying to jump off of the top into the water.

geoffrey morris
07-27-2005, 00:35
hi all ,the elk river falls are more like several miles from the AT and that be by the road. the new relocation is no where near the falls, miles away.

G Morris

Mountain Dew
07-27-2005, 01:05
I just hiked the trail of topic two days ago and it was less than a mile from the AT to the falls. If not for a wrong turn we could have been to the falls from the AT in less than 15 minutes.

orangebug
07-27-2005, 08:55
MD, are you meaning the Elk River Falls or the John's River Falls?

Mountain Dew
07-27-2005, 14:59
Elk River Falls OrangeBug. I thought that was the one we all were referring to. hhmmm :-?

sienel
07-27-2005, 17:08
When I worked train crew on that relo, we drove through the parking lot for Elk River Falls, headed down the forest service road less than a mile (which parallels the Elk River Falls trail), then walked along the river a couple of tenths before hitting the relo.

I haven't been down there since so I don't know if whether or not there's an official sidetrail, but if you know where to leave the AT you should be able to get to the river, head upstream, and find the falls in less than a mile.