PDA

View Full Version : tang

diogenes
07-25-2005, 17:52
what do you think about tang?

walkin' wally
07-25-2005, 18:06
I used some sugar free tang last week. I wasn't too bad. It gives another flavor to plain water and it has 100% d.v. vitaminC and lesser amounts of other vitamins. I guess I have had worse drink mixes. It is good to have something different. The small containers save pack weight and space.

stupe
07-25-2005, 18:06
Gotta love Tang. A light solution of Tang for daytime use, just to make your water taste better ( ascorbic acid ) or more interesting. A stronger mixture makes a great after dinner Tang.
It mixes well with vodka, also. That's what the astronauts get loaded on, when they're up in space.
Cherry or grape or fruit punch powder is great, also. Powdered milk is another favorite of mine, and I think it weighs less, quart for quart.
I wish they still made " Fizzies ". Remember Fizzies?

Footslogger
07-25-2005, 18:44
Carried Tang during my entire thru in 2003. That was my routine breakfast drink and during the colder months I would boil some water and drink it hot (instead of coffee). I carried both gatorade and tang powder. When the supply of both got low (like a couple days before resupply) I often mixed them together.

I started each day with a 20 oz bottle full of either gatorade,tang or a combination of the two. Nice break from water during the morning. I also used it as my drink for lunch.

Never used the sugar free stuff. It's definitely lighter but to be honest ...I liked the quick energy from the sugar.

'Slogger
AT 2003

gsingjane
07-25-2005, 19:03
I remember Fizzies!!! Is this ever off-topic, but when I was a wee girl, there was a boy in my friend's neighborhood who decided that we only liked him for his pool (he was right) and told us we couldn't go in swimming anymore. We were SO mad. One night we sneaked into his backyard and loaded up his pool with grape Fizzies, was that fun! Bobby Anderson, if you're out there, I'm sorry now.... kinda...

Jane in CT

Frosty
07-25-2005, 19:43
I remember Fizzies!!! Is this ever off-topic, but when I was a wee girl, there was a boy in my friend's neighborhood who decided that we only liked him for his pool (he was right) and told us we couldn't go in swimming anymore. We were SO mad. One night we sneaked into his backyard and loaded up his pool with grape Fizzies, was that fun! Bobby Anderson, if you're out there, I'm sorry now.... kinda...Bobby Anderson, you are one lucky dude :)

neo
07-25-2005, 20:51
i prefer gatorade:cool: neo

Panzer1
07-25-2005, 22:45
At first I thought you ment tang as in poon--tang.

anonymous

K-Bear
07-25-2005, 23:19
At first I thought you ment tang as in poon--tang.

anonymous
UGH!!!
Too Many JOKES!!!! Mee-likes! Astronauts have the happiest wives???

OKOKOK....grown-up taking over....... **Ahem**
...Crystal Lite is much tastier"....

Dude...I Still cant handle it...

"what do you think about tang?"...priceless!!!

I'm just such a big fan of it!!!!! :banana

jackiebolen
07-26-2005, 00:35
Rotten teeth...that's all I have to say for ya'll out there who drink Tang and Gatorade instead of water while thru-hiking. Tastes good but at the expense of your dental hygiene!

SGT Rock
07-26-2005, 07:48
That is why we carry tooth brushes :D

squirrel bait
07-26-2005, 08:40
...and toothpaste......

RangerRick
07-26-2005, 09:47
I remember these puppies too!
Most popular from the 50-60s.
Here's the info on what happen to them.

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/fizzies.htm
Ranger Rick :) :jump

Kerosene
07-26-2005, 10:28
I switched to Crystal Light a few years ago, although I find that I default to straight water more often than not. I found the sugar-free Tang this year and liked the orange taste for a morning pick-me-up. I remember carrying zip-loc bags full of Tang and Kool-Aid for my week-long section hikes in high school (early '70s); no wonder my pack weighed 50 pounds.

Ender
07-26-2005, 10:30
Rotten teeth...that's all I have to say for ya'll out there who drink Tang and Gatorade instead of water while thru-hiking. Tastes good but at the expense of your dental hygiene!

That's why I brush my teeth. :rolleyes: Well, that and for many many other reasons.

Regardless, Tang and Gatorade provide more than just taste. Vitamins, energy in the form of sugar, electrolytes.... etc etc etc... Yeah, it means you have to carry a toothbrush, but hopefully you were carrying one anyway :jump

Lanthar Mandragoran
07-26-2005, 10:30
crystal light tastes horrible to me (I can't stand artificial sweetners, to me they taste like soap)

Tang is good

I really like Emergen-C (http://www.alacer.com/), mmm... tastes good and LOTS of vitamins, I'm glad they got rid of the cola flavor (tastes like "recycled" cola, if you know what I mean)

jackiebolen
07-26-2005, 16:09
I did carry a toothbrush, but of all the thru-hikers I saw in '04, almost everyone brushed their teeth at night but not too many at any other times during the day, even in the morning.

If you drink sugary junk all day, that's a steady 16 hours or so of sugar for the bacteria in your mouth to feed upon. The bacteria feed upon regular food too but what they really love is the sugar.

Cavities, cavaties, cavaties.

Lone Wolf
07-26-2005, 16:15
Equal amounts of Tang and a good vodka over lots of ice is pretty damn good.

Spirit Walker
07-26-2005, 16:21
I stopped drinking Tang because of the weight of the sugar. I haven't seen sugar free yet, but will try it if I find it. We usually drink a quart of Crystal Lite (or Sugar Free Koolaid when we can find it) at night and at noon. We started drinking it to disguise the taste of the iodine, but now we just like it. Makes a change anyway.

tlbj6142
07-26-2005, 16:46
I did carry a toothbrush, but of all the thru-hikers I saw in '04, almost everyone brushed their teeth at night but not too many at any other times during the day, even in the morning.

If you drink sugary junk all day, that's a steady 16 hours or so of sugar for the bacteria in your mouth to feed upon. The bacteria feed upon regular food too but what they really love is the sugar.

Cavities, cavaties, cavaties.My brother (AT'04) feared the same thing. 3-5 Snickers per day, brushed his teeth every other day or so. Came home, no issues.

Simplly drinking water often is very effective at "cleaning" your teeth. Espeically if done after eating.

Lanthar Mandragoran
07-26-2005, 18:06
My brother (AT'04) feared the same thing. 3-5 Snickers per day, brushed his teeth every other day or so. Came home, no issues.

Simplly drinking water often is very effective at "cleaning" your teeth. Espeically if done after eating.
Especially if you get into the habit of vigorously "swishing" your mouth with a couple of gulps when you're finished eating.

TJ aka Teej
07-26-2005, 18:42
Tang! Whoa... excuse me while I flashback to '70s hiking... Glass jars of Tang, Chianti in a wineskin, Spam, little cans of vienna sausages and deviled ham spread, sardines, cans of Chef Boy-ar-dee,10 cent bags of Planters peanuts, those little boxes of raisins, Necco Wafers, 'Chunky' candy bars and "Space Food Stricks" :D
I need a time machine just so I can go back and eat junk food again...

Krag
07-26-2005, 19:43
I will second the Emergen-C recommendation, any of the health food store superfoods...bee pollen, barley grass, herbs, etc. Good healthy food makes for good nutrition, hygeine, attitude, clarity, etc.

NJHiker
07-26-2005, 20:17
idunno....I carry chewable vitamin c for a mid day pick up...500mg, orange flavor and not too sweet

my hiking buddy carries a zip-loc of gatorade powder....it's really a god send when you've been hiking all day and need to replenish electrolytes

Doctari
07-26-2005, 21:51
Tang is OK, I prefer Gatorade. Cant stand Powerade.
I have used: koolade, chrystal lite, wylers, etc.

Doctari.

Just Jeff
07-26-2005, 21:58
I stopped drinking Tang because of the weight of the sugar.
There aren't too many foods with the calorie content of sugar, so per gram you'll get loads of calories out of it. Why not get some calories from your drinks, since you'll be carrying the weight of calories in your food, anyway?

Anyone have a label to get Tang's calories/gram?

Mountain Hippie
07-26-2005, 22:13
Here you go Jeff.

Serving size: 2.0 tablespoon(s) (25.0 g)

Calories: 90.00 | Calories from fat: 0.00
Fat 0.00 g
Cholesterol 0.00 mg
Saturated fat 0.00 g
Sodium 35.00 mg
Carbohydrate 23.00 g
Sugar 23.00 g
Dietary fiber 0.00 g
Protein 0.00 g
Key vitamins and minerals
Vitamin A 500.00 IU
Vitamin C 60.00 mg
Folate 0.00 µg
Calcium 100.00 mg
Iron 0.00 mg
Potassium 50.00 mg

Other vitamins:
Vitamins:
Vitamin E (mg) 2.09 mg
Vitamin E (IU) 3.12 IU
Niacin 2.00 mg

Other Minerals:
Phosphorus 69.40 mg

Sorry, I still prefer Koolaide :)

saimyoji
07-26-2005, 22:15
Remember that the calories from refined sugar products are used almost immediately during intense exercise. Long term calories are liberated from things like complex carbs (rice, pasta) so just saying tang has a high caloric value may be misleading.

Anyone try lactic acid metabolizers like Cytomax? I drank this stuff all the time when I was a competitive swimmer.

Ridge
07-27-2005, 00:38
Wow, I just bought a container of Tang yesterday, haven't had it since the 70's. I'm sending it to my husband on the PCT, mainly for the Vitamin-C it has. I didn't see the "no-sugar" version, but will look. I know the regular stuff is probably 50% sugar. I seen some posts about GatorAid...does it have Vitamin- C, I've seen it in the powder before, but can't remember about the Vitamin-C.

Just Jeff
07-27-2005, 01:20
When it's cold, I like a warm jello drink for breakfast.

Other than that, I usually just drink water. I'll take a few big swallows, then hold some in my mouth for a few minutes while I walk. Dunno why...I just like the way it feels when I walk. And I only do it when I'm hiking...never at home. I guess that'll help keep the mouth clean, though.

tlbj6142
07-27-2005, 10:49
Especially if you get into the habit of vigorously "swishing" your mouth with a couple of gulps when you're finished eating.That is exactly what I tend to do. Even while I'm at work (I drink way too much pop).

walkin' wally
07-27-2005, 19:41
The sugar free tang comes in a round canister about the same size as crystal lite with the smaller tubs inside. I found it where all the other powdered drinks are.

art to linda
07-28-2005, 11:24
2 spoons of tang added to your tea makes for a nice hot drink to start those cool mornings or warm up on a chilly day.......... we called it Russian tea way back when.

Lanthar Mandragoran
07-28-2005, 17:16
That is exactly what I tend to do. Even while I'm at work (I drink way too much pop).
My dentist recommended the procedure to me as I drink a lot of soda.