PDA

View Full Version : 2-3 night recommendation hike?

Nar Nar
06-27-2013, 13:04
Hello everyone, for the past summer and a half, finishing the Long Trail has been my priority. It looks as though I will complete the LT by the end of the summer, which means I need some new adventures for next summer. I live close to the Whites and figured this would be an awesome place to start exploring. With that said, I am completely lost. I picked up a map from a gas station in the area, and there are so many mountains and trails that I am feeling a bit overwhelmed :confused: Can someone recommend any good 2-3 night hikes in the Whites? Loops are preferred but not required. Also, are there any special rules I need to take into consideration, things like shelter fees and such? Thanks! :)

jeffmeh
06-28-2013, 10:28
If I were to pick my favorite, it would be a hike from the Northern Presis south, hitting all the summits. With 2 nights you should be able to traverse the whole range down to Crawford. A third night would give you some flexibility in case the weather does not cooperate, or perhaps hit Tom, Field, and Willey on the other side of 302.

You are correct though, there are many to choose from.

The AMC White Mountain Guide has tons of info. http://amcstore.outdoors.org/amcstore/product.asp?s_id=0&dept_id=3012&pf_id=PACOADAHOCGFBHKJ There is also an online version.

TurboPants
06-02-2014, 16:56
I saw this thread and it's exactly what I'm thinking of doing and I'm also completely lost with how many trails there are. It's 90% likely I'll be doing this solo and will be tent camping, preferably in those locations that are a stealth spot. I want to do a 2 night hike with a loop to get me back to wherever I leave my car. I'd like to hit a few of the peaks for sure. The presidential traverse seems to be the popular choice but seeing as I know NOTHING about NH, what other cool areas are down below tree line that are must see stops? Now that this is a year old Nar Nar should have expert analysis! :p

I didn't want to start another thread since this one was basically the same topic and I figured someone might have input. Thanks

d3ef
06-03-2014, 16:03
The Bonds are really nice. You can do a loop from the Lincoln Woods parking area, or if you have 2 cars, a traverse. If you have the money, doing a hut to hut hike is fun. Cabot and Waumbek in the north country are less busy.