PDA

View Full Version : I don't care to advertise for you!!!

rocketsocks
06-27-2013, 14:43
I try not to buy anything with a huge billboard on it...What say you? when will makers realize people don't want to advertise for them, and that were not stupid consumers, if a product is good it will sell, and people will not have a problem passing on credits by word of mouth.....EMS has a pretty benign label...on some things.

Dogwood
06-27-2013, 14:51
http://stowesports.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/stinson-evo-tarmac-road-running-shoe_3.jpg

Dogwood
06-27-2013, 14:53
LOVE HOKA's trail runner versions but I thought this was too over the top.

Dogwood
06-27-2013, 14:55
ULA packs, GoLite clothing, and New Balance shorts aren't too in your face with their logos on their gear. TNF can be a bit too much as well as some Kelty gear.

Namtrag
06-27-2013, 15:00
The cleverest marketing people figured out that we would pay for the right to advertise for them on T-Shirts. Nike, New Balance, etc. The truth is, they should be paying us to wear the stuff, but we are too stupid to realize it.

Dogwood
06-27-2013, 15:05
Kinda like the math geeks in my college math club all showing up wearing t-shirts w/ various mathematical equations printed on them. Bunch of nerds. Wait. I was one of them.

MDSection12
06-27-2013, 16:26
were not stupid consumers

That has been proven to be a myth. :p

Malto
06-27-2013, 16:36
Golite shirt, REI Saraha pants are very subtle. My Headsweats visor is a bit more pronounced as are a couple of the shoes I wear like my LaSportiva wildcats. But I agree with you, the bigger the logo, the bigger the turn off.

Odd Man Out
06-27-2013, 16:58
Golite shirt, REI Saraha pants are very subtle. My Headsweats visor is a bit more pronounced as are a couple of the shoes I wear like my LaSportiva wildcats. But I agree with you, the bigger the logo, the bigger the turn off.

The more stylized the better. The N on a New Balance shoe is pretty large, but looks more like a decoration as opposed to a logo that says "The North Face" or "HOKA"

rocketsocks
06-27-2013, 17:25
The more stylized the better. The N on a New Balance shoe is pretty large, but looks more like a decoration as opposed to a logo that says "The North Face" or "HOKA"agree, very good design, with some thought given to overall composition...+1 for NB If you have to put your logo on it...incorporate it, don't just glue it on and leave it floating there calling it fixed.

Biggie Master
06-27-2013, 17:41
The brand logos are huge, but the "Made in China" is tiny and hidden on the inside label.

rickb
06-27-2013, 20:03
While I can live with logos on the front of a jacket, I wil never, ever wear a jacket with a logo emblazoned on the back shoulder.

Who in hell came up with that idea? I am thinking it must have been North Face.

Bati
06-28-2013, 20:12
Once when I was stopped by flooding on a low-water bridge on the Big Blue, I spent most of an afternoon using my swiss army knife to remove assorted labels from my gear. By the time I was done, I had an entire quart-size ziploc bag stuffed with labels that I tossed in a trash can a couple of days later.

It was an amazing haul, considering I've been a bit resistant to advertising and this was several years ago. The labeling has only gotten worse, though many labels are now printed directly on the fabric, reducing weight somewhat.

So if you can't find what you want without a label, look for something where the label can be removed and is not imprinted on the outside.

John B
06-28-2013, 20:29
Hanes tee-shirts has no icon or logo; they don't even have a tag inside the collar. Now they ink stamp inside the collar, but if you get a black, grey, or brown teeshirt, you can't even see that after a couple of washes.

Sarcasm the elf
06-28-2013, 21:18
http://www.cracked.com/article_19640_the-6-least-impressive-ways-anyone-ever-got-rich.html

The 6 Least Impressive Ways Anyone Ever Got Rich

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/article_19640_the-6-least-impressive-ways-anyone-ever-got-rich.html#ixzz2XZ0w2dGG
#6. Getting Rich for Wearing a T-Shirt

Sometimes, the more blatantly intelligence-insulting an idea is, the better it works. Perhaps nowhere is this as true as within the world of advertising, where the dumbest ideas can bring fame and fortune, to the point where it seems that the ad companies flat out don't give a **** about anything anymore. The good news is that you don't need to be a snazzy ad executive to get your piece of that sweet, sweet money cake. Hell, you don't even need to work.

Just ask Jason Sadler, who decided in 2009 to see if companies would pay him money to wear their T-shirts as a human billboard of sorts. He set up a website, came up with seemingly arbitrary face-value pricing for his "services" (the first day of the year costs $1, January 2 costs $2, and so forth) and set to "work." Literally the only thing he had to do was to put on a shirt when he woke up.
Sadler made $83,000 in his first year.

We guess he spent it all on people who take their shirts off for a living.
This prompted him to double the prices for 2010 -- which sold out as well, bringing in a quadruple income, as he had actually even hired another dude to work for him in the difficult trade of wearing a shirt. 2011 (also sold out) saw Sadler's IWearYourShirt.com employing four T-shirt wearers aside from himself, meaning the income should be 2009 times 10 (five wearers as opposed to one, double prices). He is now selling 2012, and unfortunately appears to have already hired this year's team of professional T-shirt wearers.

"Says here on your resume that you spent your 2012 wearing an AsianBeauties.com T-shirt. When can you start?"
Even taking into account that some of the other T-shirt wearers might work only part time, that would make his total earnings somewhere in the upper tier six figures. For wearing a shirt.
Still, at least Sadler does something for his money -- unlike Alex Tew, who set up the Million Dollar Homepage more or less as a "please give me money" joke in order to pay for his tuition. It was a simple concept: a blank slate website with a million pixels, which Tew sold for ad space at $1 a pixel. It was such a ludicrous, no-effort idea that it couldn't have possibly worked.

"Do you remember the Internet in the '90s? Yeah that, except we make money from it."
But work it did. The sheer ballsy stupidity of the plan made the Million Dollar Homepage Internet famous in no time, and Tew sold out his million pixels in under four months, actually having to auction the last 1,000 ones on eBay for the hefty sum of $38,100. The gross total of the Million Dollar Homepage earnings was $1,037,100, which left Tew with roughly $700,000 after taxes, costs and some charity donations. The site is still up, proudly displaying its advertisers as a monument to gullibility.

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/article_19640_the-6-least-impressive-ways-anyone-ever-got-rich.html#ixzz2XZ0lyJUh

gpburdelljr
06-28-2013, 22:10
A lot of the equipment with prominent logos tends to be high end stuff. Some people like to show off what they can afford (like wearing a Rolex that doesn't tell any better time than an inexpensive digital watch).

Pathfinder1
06-28-2013, 22:19
Hi...

I don't do anybody's advertising for free. If a logo's readily visible...I won't buy it (vehicles are the exceptions).

Bronk
06-29-2013, 01:32
Many people buy things just for the logo. Look at all of the counterfeit merchandise out there. People buy stuff knowing its a cheap knockoff simply because they want the label. Its the reason people will pay $100 for a pair of jeans with holes in them. Many people shop for brand names, not clothing. Its why many outfitters focus on clothing rather than gear...there's more money in the clothes because of the high markup...many times people are paying for the label, not the shirt.

Alligator
06-29-2013, 01:56
Not much labeling on my cheap-ass Walmart shirts:D.

I have a Frogg Toggs baseball hat that has the logo splashed on it. It was a freebie from the company with an order I placed several years ago. And I like it:bse.

rocketsocks
06-29-2013, 02:03

I have a Frogg Toggs baseball hat that has the logo splashed on it. It was a freebie from the company with an order I placed several years ago. And I like it:bse.Can't argue with that, free trumps fashion phobia.

HeartFire
06-29-2013, 07:22
Last time I bought a car, I told the dealer if they wanted to put their logo on the car they would have to pay me for advertising - no logo. I had some work on my house done - same thing, they wanted to put a sign on the front lawn advertising their company - told them to pay me for the advertising - no sign! But sheesh, I do put a nice big LightHeart Gear label on every tent I make!

Tuckahoe
06-29-2013, 08:37
Judy, the label is not all that big. And there is a difference between what amounts to a makers mark and that company advertising emblazoned across the product.

dmax
06-29-2013, 10:38
My Marmot sleeping bag and my MSR kettle doesn't have any markings. My precip and Patagonia shirts aren't too bad.

Sailing_Faith
06-29-2013, 10:40
Northface is pretty conspicuous in their branding. REI is pretty low key, as is Columbia. I don't mind either since they generally make good stuff anyway....

Sarcasm the elf
06-29-2013, 10:55
Judy, the label is not all that big. And there is a difference between what amounts to a makers mark and that company advertising emblazoned across the product.

I like that distinction, I don't mind if they want to put a makers mark their clothing, but if the logo is so big that I'm going to be a walking billboard then it had better have been a be free tshirt.

Judy, I feel the same way about cars. I told my dealer that he could put a license plate holder on the car, but that he had to remove the decal. When my fiancé ordered a car from a dealer one time, she told them that they would have to take $500 off the price if the car had any dealership advertising on it when she went to pick it up.

Tuckahoe
06-29-2013, 12:49
Often I assume that the lower the quality of the product, the greater the size of the branding label.

Ever notice that high quality good rely on their construction and styling details to speak for the brand.

hikerboy57
06-29-2013, 13:47
Last time I bought a car, I told the dealer if they wanted to put their logo on the car they would have to pay me for advertising - no logo. I had some work on my house done - same thing, they wanted to put a sign on the front lawn advertising their company - told them to pay me for the advertising - no sign! But sheesh, I do put a nice big LightHeart Gear label on every tent I make!
and just as i was about to buy a solo!could you just put the logo on a license plate frame?

hikerboy57
06-29-2013, 13:48
western mountaineering. no logo necessary

rocketsocks
06-29-2013, 14:00

judy judy judy, I think your logo is very unassuming as the ratio to available space is about 3,000 to 1

rocketsocks
06-29-2013, 14:11
No hard and fast rules here, many garments I own have labels...we all do. This one, I'll not likely wear outside of an REI sanctioned event in the capacity of a volunteer22287

This label, black on black I find very benign22288

it's a personal choice.

rocketsocks
06-29-2013, 14:21
This thread makes no attempt to single out a manufacturer, but rather to ask the question, given a choice of two garments side by side, both the same, except one has a label on the outside prominently placed, the other does not. Which one do you like? I'm liking the one that does not. Again, just a personal choice.

Old Hiker
06-29-2013, 15:14

I've done that as well. But when I got my THIRD LightHeart Gear tent (2 new SoLong 6's, 1 used Solo), I proudly put the heart decal you enclosed on my car. I'll advertise a good product.

As long as the label states "Made in the USA", I'm fine with it.

Full disclosure: re-sold the Solo, as I was sorta uncomfortable with the space and shape after my SoLong 6.

Bronk
06-30-2013, 01:36

I have a Frogg Toggs baseball hat that has the logo splashed on it. It was a freebie from the company with an order I placed several years ago. And I like it:bse.

Several years ago I was at a flea market in Florida and there was a guy there with a booth selling hats for $1. They had all kinds of different logos on them...if I had to guess I'd say they were from a company that made custom embroidered hats and these were their overruns. I got a nice hat with the Nantahala Outdoor Center logo embroidered on it. I thought it was funny to find that there hundreds of miles away, but it was a nice hat...they were probably selling them at the outfitter's there for $20.

HeartFire
06-30-2013, 07:39
and just as i was about to buy a solo!could you just put the logo on a license plate frame?

I do have nice stickers to put on your car if you want one! - comes free with every tent.

Old Grouse
06-30-2013, 08:09
The North Face puts its logo on the front and back of its clothing so you can't avoid it. It annoys me but I gotta admire whoever came up with the idea.

hikerboy57
06-30-2013, 08:14
I do have nice stickers to put on your car if you want one! - comes free with every tent.
seriously, im looking to replace my worn big agnes fly creek2. iwas looking at the solo, the solong6 and the traptent nothc, ive eliminated the notch. but i still havent decided whether to go back to the b.a, which i was pretty happy with or switch to yours.
what benefits would you say the solong6 has over the flycreek2?

yellowsirocco
06-30-2013, 10:22
Hiking gear is nowhere near as bad as cycling gear. The jerseys that a lot of cyclist wear are ridiculous. So many of them think they are racers.

Rain Man
06-30-2013, 12:06
...What say you? ?

That has been proven to be a myth. :p

The brand logos are huge, but the "Made in China" is tiny and hidden on the inside label.

Welcome to the "U.S." Chamber of Commerce! There's no level to which they won't stoop to take advantage of Americans if they make an Almighty Dollar by doing it.

Rain Man

HeartFire
06-30-2013, 16:34
seriously, im looking to replace my worn big agnes fly creek2. iwas looking at the solo, the solong6 and the traptent nothc, ive eliminated the notch. but i still havent decided whether to go back to the b.a, which i was pretty happy with or switch to yours.
what benefits would you say the solong6 has over the flycreek2?

LightHeart SoLong 6 - Flycreek
2 side entry doors -- one front entry door
Awning no awning
Lighter weight have to carry their poles
Made in USA Made in China
you get a Lightheart sticker
Great customer service
not free standing free standing
Fabric - 3500 mmHH 1200mm HH
45 " headroom 38" headroom
more square footage floor less floor
made to fit the big and tall

I hope this chart shows up the way I typed it!

HeartFire
06-30-2013, 16:38
well, I was afraid of that -
LightHeart - 2 side entry doors, awning, lighter weight than FC2, Made in USA, you get a LightHeart sticker with the tent - as well as a tiny caribiner, great customer service, not free standing tent - no extra poles to have to carry fabric is 3500 mm HH (fabric is imported from Korea)45 inches of headroom, 30 sq feet floor space, this one person tent has more room than the other 2 person tent. 2 ridge vents.
FC 2 - all the other comments I made above -
Judy:)

Rick Hancock
06-30-2013, 17:16
I wanted to purchase The North Face Bionic jacket but I refuse to because of the ridiculous advertisement on the back shoulder area! EMS isn't too bad nor is REI for the most part, Mt. Hardwear is kinda neat and fairly small. Wish these companies would take a clue and tone down...way down on their use of logos.

BrianLe
07-01-2013, 10:30
I relate pretty well to this thread --- I find baseball type hats particularly bad. One option is to look for a place that imprints a logo on hats or shirts or the like and buy a "blank", but generally limited then to a cotton hat.
I agree that they've gotten even more clever/slimey in making the labels such that you (a) can't cut it off as it's integral with the fabric, and (b) can't mark over it as the material that's used to print the advert is such that it won't accept/hold permanent marker or the like.

I'd be interested in tips/tricks people use to eliminate or cover these offenses without damaging the underlying gear item?

Might make for an interesting little startup company --- one that specializes in inexpensive kits designed to obliterate logos on various bits of clothing or other items.

Meanwhile, I do make a point to buy things that don't turn me into a billboard.

Pathfinder1
07-01-2013, 10:58
Hi...

Applying a piece/strip of reflective material over the logo will not only hide it, but will also provide some additional visibility. I keep a roll of orange reflective tape handy...the press-on kind. :)

Ktaadn
07-01-2013, 14:34
Hi...

Applying a piece/strip of reflective material over the logo will not only hide it, but will also provide some additional visibility. I keep a roll of orange reflective tape handy...the press-on kind. :)

I find a piece of tape to be far less attractive than the logo.

Dogwood
07-01-2013, 14:41
I like the advertising on the those skimpy shorts the girl's wear that say PINK emblazed across both cheeks. Now, that's fashion!

jeffmeh
07-01-2013, 17:09
I like the advertising on the those skimpy shorts the girl's wear that say PINK emblazed across both cheeks. Now, that's fashion!

Now we can agree on something, lol.

rocketsocks
07-01-2013, 17:39

Now we can agree on something, lol.

I personally wouldn't wear these, way too in your face advertising!22305

zelph
07-10-2013, 13:31
I try not to buy anything with a huge billboard on it...What say you? when will makers realize people don't want to advertise for them, and that were not stupid consumers, if a product is good it will sell, and people will not have a problem passing on credits by word of mouth.....EMS has a pretty benign label...on some things.

I say word of mouth works for me and others. It's the only way little guys get noticed. I got this email the other day that gave credit to "Shug"

"Oh, you can thank Shug for praising your fancy feast stove, which I was originally looking for, and pointing me to your site. I don't think I would have found you otherwise.

Thanks,
Daniel"

Namtrag
07-10-2013, 13:37
I personally wouldn't wear these, way too in your face advertising!22305

Some of us wouldn't mind that they were in our face! lol