PDA

View Full Version : Where is the main group of NOBOS right now?

Rawrasaur
06-27-2013, 19:48
Im going to be hiking a short section in the NY part of the AT and I really dont want to carry my heavy tent. I figure that most of the NOBO's will be past NY but I dont want to end up without a tent hitting full shelter after full shelter. Does anyone know how far most of the NOBO's have hiked by early july?

Blissful
06-27-2013, 20:53
Well a good many were still going through SNP into MD and PA. PA through Ct most likely

Malto
06-27-2013, 21:32
You will run into a fair amount of thrus in NY. There were about a dozen or more Saturday at Duncannon. And I met a bunch the previous week in PA. You will be in the middle of the thinned out herd.

moldy
06-27-2013, 22:20
In one of the Trail Journals today someone reported that they were assigned number 780 something by the ATC in Harpers Ferry. That indicates that the majority of thru hikers are now North of there. In early July you will encounter more NOBO thru-hikers than at any other time. But, the ugly Winter storms, the sickness and now the rain and bugs have driven many people off the trail and caused them to spread out more than normal. I would expect that you will see a dozen or more almost every day on your hike.

hikerboy57
06-27-2013, 22:44
take the tent.
been quite a few hitting ny the past couple weeks i was in harriman last week, hiked sobo on the at from lake tiorati back to elk pen and passed about a dozen nobos, .the main bubble is spread out mostly in pa/nj so i expect you'll see more than a few dozen early july.

Slo-go'en
06-27-2013, 23:49
I skimmed a bunch of recently updated trailjournals yesterday and was suprised by the number who were still in central VA or just getting to the half way point. Many had started mid to late March and early April...

Sarcasm the elf
06-28-2013, 00:02
Im going to be hiking a short section in the NY part of the AT and I really dont want to carry my heavy tent. I figure that most of the NOBO's will be past NY but I dont want to end up without a tent hitting full shelter after full shelter. Does anyone know how far most of the NOBO's have hiked by early july?

Next week is Fourth of July, which is one of the busier weeks of the year for all types of hikers. The trail will be heavily used both on weekends and throughout the week.

Slo-go'en
06-28-2013, 10:33
Next week is Fourth of July, which is one of the busier weeks of the year for all types of hikers. The trail will be heavily used both on weekends and throughout the week.

The 4th is always pretty quiet in the woods around here. The 4th is more of a family picnic, lets go see the fireworks type of holiday. Plus, more often then not it falls on a weekday, Thursday this year, so you don't often get a 3 day weekend out of it.

But the 4th does mark the start of the summer season in Northen New England, so the weekend after things pick up considerably. How this relates to NY, I have no clue :)