PDA

View Full Version : Katahdin day hike

Game Warden
06-27-2013, 21:21
My family will be in Camden Maine for a week, and I want to climb Katahdin. (yes, I've already done the beautiful Camden Hills.) Is it possible to do a dayhike to Katahdin? Any advice on starting/finishing points, etc? I'd prefer to avoid the knife edge--not very good at pullups. Thanks.

hikerboy57
06-27-2013, 21:38
traditional route is the hunt trail.5.2 mi up from katahdin stream campground.plan on 10 -12 hours up and down. its an all day hike,very steep over the boulders in the middle section , with iron rungs in spots to help you get up,stays steep until you hit the tableland, then an uphill walk to baxter peak.
or you can go up the abol slide trail and come down the hunt. the abol is shorter,but steeper.

Game Warden
06-27-2013, 21:50
Thanks. All the online photos I see are young folks wearing only daypacks, so I wonder where they come in from?

hikerboy57
06-27-2013, 21:55
this site can give you a lot more information on hiking katahdin,parking,shelters. if you're staying overnight you need to make reservations in advance, and they may be booked.go to:http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/index.htm for more info

peakbagger
06-28-2013, 04:41
Some suggestions

Pick a trail and get a day use pass in advance if you are going on a weekend. If you want a popular weekend around a holiday, get the pass well in advance, otherwise a few days before for a weekday normally works. You have to pay for a pass anyhow so why not buy it in advance. Do note if your car has out of state plates, you also need to pay a road fee at the gate (somewhere around $14)

Many day hikers do Abol Up and Hunt down, this requires a road walk or a hitch on a very narrow and dusty road. By the way, there are as many or more pull ups on the Hunt trail then the knifes edge. The only "easy way" up the mountain is the Saddle Trail. Some folks advocate Cathedral up Saddle down as the least difficult loop.

Start as early as you can in the AM preferably be at the gate when it opens which is before sunrise, the park changes the gate hours in the AM to that you hit the trailheads at or around sunrise. The light and views are the best in AM especially from the Roaring Brook side (east side). The summit tends to form clouds in the afternoon and if there is any weather within 100 miles it will usually find the summit at mid day so get up to the summit early.

riff raff
06-28-2013, 07:42
Hi,
It's alot of hiking for a family if they don't do it much. You could probably (leaving Roaring Brook Campground) do Chimney Pond Trail to Saddle trail. Climbing up the Saddle is short but abrupt. Don't forget to make a reservation for a parking spot at the campground.

http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=3227404

Riff Raff

Water Rat
06-28-2013, 12:11
Here is a link that might be helpful for your trip planning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTuewfYuCYw&list=UUHBU-8Y9L4X_msEXxB_-yrA&in%20dex=1

Game Warden
06-28-2013, 21:40
Thanks, that was good info.