PDA

View Full Version : Google Trekker Applicants Wanted

CoffeeBager
06-29-2013, 18:08
http://www.google.com/help/maps/streetview/learn/cars-trikes-and-more.html#trekker
(http://www.google.com/help/maps/streetview/learn/cars-trikes-and-more.html#trekker)
It looks like Google is expanding their off-road mapping by calling for volunteers. It looks like they probably prefer people associated with official organizations, but you can apply as an independent volunteer, too.

Just thought I'd pass it along.

max patch
06-29-2013, 19:20
I'm no ounce weenie but I don't think I could handle both that and a pack. Wouldn't take pictures for Google anyway without getting paid for it.

Whoever does it oughta get a good trail name outta it.

kythruhiker
06-29-2013, 21:00
When Google opens their wallet and shells out a tiny tiny portion of their profit to me, I'll gladly don the pack and go wherever they'd like to pay me to go!

rocketsocks
06-29-2013, 22:29
Wouldn't take pictures for Google anyway without getting paid for it.

Whoever does it oughta get a good trail name outta it.this

When Google opens their wallet and shells out a tiny tiny portion of their profit to me, I'll gladly don the pack and go wherever they'd like to pay me to go!and this

markyhiker
06-30-2013, 12:24
help google? google is a coercive monopoly and if you want to start a online business on the internet google will gladly make sure you go under.... google dominates search engine traffic and makes it impossible for small business to start out...... unless you spend money on adwords for huge amounts of money that make it impossible.

So help google...... i dont think so :)

Maui Rhino
06-30-2013, 15:28
They are starting a project here to do all the trails on the island of Hawaii, and are looking for volunteers to map the trails on other islands. Personally, I am not very excited about this project, and won't be helping them.

Mrs Baggins
06-30-2013, 15:41
We were in Peru a couple of weeks ago and driving down a narrow street in Puno. In front of us was a "Google Earth" car with the big camera mounted on top. First time we'd ever actually seen one of those at work.

Mrs Baggins
06-30-2013, 15:44
22294Google mapping car on a street in Puno, Peru.

leaftye
07-01-2013, 01:10
I'd consider doing this for city hikes, maybe day hikes, but I'd need to be paid handsomely for overnighters.

marti038
07-01-2013, 08:37
While I'm certain I'd use the site for info, I'm even more certain that I wouldn't do it for free.

Kind of shocked that anyone would.

simon
07-01-2013, 08:43
I'm an old guy who rather be surprised about what is around the next corner.

bobp
07-01-2013, 08:59
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I like living in the 21st century. I would make use of trekker information, because it would help me in checking out routes for Scout backpacking trips. Right now, I end up hiking a route 2 or 3 times. I would be willing to carry The Beast, for the same reason I volunteer for trail maintenance -- because I benefit directly from the results. I already use Google Street View for checking out trailheads and parking facilities, and it works very well.

You really don't want to hit too many unknowns when you are dragging a dozen boys and three other adults along on your adventure :^)

tawa
07-01-2013, 09:14

Amen--Amen----we as a society need to unplug--relax-and just walk! Just my opinion but not sure we are better off with gadgets!

russb
07-01-2013, 15:42
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I like living in the 21st century. I would make use of trekker information, because it would help me in checking out routes for Scout backpacking trips. Right now, I end up hiking a route 2 or 3 times. I would be willing to carry The Beast, for the same reason I volunteer for trail maintenance -- because I benefit directly from the results. I already use Google Street View for checking out trailheads and parking facilities, and it works very well.

You really don't want to hit too many unknowns when you are dragging a dozen boys and three other adults along on your adventure :^)

As a scouter myself, I do not believe in dragging the boys anywhere. I encourage them to lead and it is the unknowns which make the adventure. A map, a compass and the spirit of adventure!

markyhiker
07-01-2013, 15:45
As a scouter myself, I do not believe in dragging the boys anywhere. I encourage them to lead and it is the unknowns which make the adventure. A map, a compass and the spirit of adventure!

Yeah whats the fun in exploring if you already seen the places.... boring

I hope google gets no volunteers and the silly computer nerds have to do it themselves and get lost and run into a angry farmer and stuff :)

Dogwood
07-01-2013, 15:49
The equipment I've seen being used by hikers in the Grand Canyon for Google mapping is cumbersome and heavy. I would do it but what's the incentive for me?

leaftye
07-01-2013, 15:52

Too late. There are already lots of books, countless online journals, and even more pictures of the trail. Not to mention videos and conversations with AT hikers. If you to be surprised, you shouldn't be on this site, shouldn't carry a trail guide, shouldn't carry a gps, don't read journals or books, and definitely don't talk to AT hikers.

As for this. If you don't want to see it, don't.