PDA

View Full Version : Planning for BMT/AT Loop in 2014

Wild Blue
06-29-2013, 18:11
Hello All,

2014 is looking real good for me to take an extended trip and I'm thinking the BMT/AT Loop will be my goal. My family and I spent last weekend in Northern Georgia where we visited Amicalola Falls and Springer Mtn. I also stopped by North Georgia Mountain Outfitters, met Travis, and obtained the BMT thru hikers guide and the Trails Illustrated maps covering the route.

I'm relatively new to WB but have found it to be informational and entertaining at the same time. Of course a public announcement of a goal always helps maintain motivation too. Looking forward to posting updates and learning more about the trail. In the meantime I have a friend from work who is interested in the doing the "Georgia Loop" this September or October. That should serve as a good test run. I'm also a furloughed civil servant starting in July and I choose to take the positive view that this will allow me more time to hike and enjoy the outdoors.

Cheers,
Pete

SGT Rock
06-30-2013, 14:53
Let me know what I can do to help.

Wild Blue
06-30-2013, 19:38
Thanks I will. I'm sure Ill have some resupply and GSMNP permit/procedure questions as I plan.

I am planning to hike northbound on the BMT and South on the AT. Probably start in May, or June, any pros or cons to that time period?

You already have helped me BTW, through your book.

SGT Rock
07-01-2013, 06:56
May all services should be open. Southbound on the AT in june the thru-hiker rush should be through, so it sounds like a good time frame to me.

Toli
07-01-2013, 07:40
Hello All,

2014 is looking real good for me to take an extended trip and I'm thinking the BMT/AT Loop will be my goal. My family and I spent last weekend in Northern Georgia where we visited Amicalola Falls and Springer Mtn. I also stopped by North Georgia Mountain Outfitters, met Travis, and obtained the BMT thru hikers guide and the Trails Illustrated maps covering the route.

I'm relatively new to WB but have found it to be informational and entertaining at the same time. Of course a public announcement of a goal always helps maintain motivation too. Looking forward to posting updates and learning more about the trail. In the meantime I have a friend from work who is interested in the doing the "Georgia Loop" this September or October. That should serve as a good test run. I'm also a furloughed civil servant starting in July and I choose to take the positive view that this will allow me more time to hike and enjoy the outdoors.

Cheers,
Pete
Check out Brakeman and Grasshoppers' Trail Journal on their BMT/AT loop(I think Dave and Marcy go by Royal USA on WB)... They started and finished at their front door in Georgia... They were very helpful in my planning of the same trip... So was Sgt. Rock's book, he even signed it for me :)... I've hiked the Georgia Loop MANY times from March to October, and October was my fav... Some of the best foraging (especially mushrooms!!!) in Georgia during the Spring/Summer months... Water can be a pain to get, but really only on the DRT part...

Dogwood
07-01-2013, 16:32
You might never know it with all the posting I've been doing on WB but I'm doing the 500 mile BMT/AT Loop right now. However, at my SLOW as a snail pace, I may still be on it in 2014 so I may run into you next yr.

Dogwood
07-01-2013, 16:34
BTW, I'm done with the GSMNP portion of the loop and had ZERO issues with securing campsites.

Wild Blue
07-02-2013, 18:50
Thanks for the inputs, I appreciate it.

Dogwood
07-03-2013, 16:34
I am planning to hike northbound on the BMT and South on the AT. Probably start in May, or June, any pros or cons to that time period?
Rain and humidity. Rain and humidity. Rain and humidity......

Wild Blue
11-22-2013, 08:20
Last summer I boldly but sincerely declared my intention here to hike the BMT/AT loop in 2014. It seemed like the perfect step between my previous weekend to week long trips and a possible AT thru in 2015. Everything was lining up nicely. I am retired from the military and have a second career. My youngest child is set to graduate from HS in 2015. My wife was not only was willing to "let" me go and this loop trip and an AT thru but she encouraged it, was willing to be the home support coordinator and take a few trips to see me at various points along the way. She knew I've had this on my mind since I was in grade school and was just waiting for right time. Was this really happening?
Later this past summer I thought "why wait"? I checked my vacation time and found three weeks available in September/October that management approved. I arranged a shuttle and planned an entire itinerary. I didn't have time to do the whole loop but I could thru hike the entire BMT this fall, 2013. Was this really happening?

No it wasn't. On August third we got a phone call from My wife's oncologist. She fought breast cancer in 2011 and was seemingly in remission. Mysterious bone pain in the spring of this year led to endless testing with no definitive results, until now. Our fears were confirmed. Recurrence, metastasis, chemo, radiation, all words that hit you in the gut, heart, and mind simultaneously became an instant part of our lives. There was no doubt in my mind whatsoever, I wouldn't be going on a BMT thru hike this fall and probably not in 2014 either.

I'd be lying if I said I haven't struggled with all the implications of this new diagnosis. Living one day at a time is easier said than done. But I am inspired by my wife's courage and spirit. I accept and even embrace the role of support partner. My family comes first. Support has come unexpected sources. I have an updated perspective, things that seemed so important before, material things mostly, ceased to matter overnight.

Will I ever hike the AT or even the loop? I hope so. I intend to. I just don't have a specific year in mind anymore. I don't need one, the trail will be there. My dreams are enduring and I will be patient and seize the moment when the time is right.

I'm not sure why I even posted all this. It's partly therapeutic to me, partly to explain why another poster didn't complete his self appointed task. I also have an increased respect for how difficult it is to have all of life's events line up and allow people in today's society to take five or more months off and fulfill a personal dream. I never bought there would be a "perfect" time, just a "best" time for these proposed hikes. In any event that best time is not now for me. As Ulysses Grant quoted in the opening of his memoirs "Man proposes and God disposes". Still the dream will live on.

Pete

Traffic Jam
11-22-2013, 08:33
My heart goes out to you and your wife.

SGT Rock
11-25-2013, 14:24
IT will still be there when you are ready. Take care of the family first and good luck.