PDA

View Full Version : New GUTHOOK APP for AT... PROs / CONs

canoe
06-30-2013, 20:02
Just saw the ad for guthook guide app and was wanting to know if anyone is using them yet. If have info I would like to hear what you have to say. Went to the site and it look pretty good.

Aquaman12
06-30-2013, 23:04
I just wish it was available for android

ChinMusic
07-01-2013, 08:13
I used it early on in my thru. I found the listing of campsites and their pictures most helpful. It helped me plan my end of day. Subsequent sections did not have this information and truthfully I have not even looked at the app in several hundred miles.

canoe
07-01-2013, 09:19
Aqu, I did nt realize it does not have andriod. That might stop me there.

Chin, that is good to know. I will be doing Ga to NC so that might work for me.

Thanks guys

guthook
07-01-2013, 11:17
Hi Canoe and all,

Thanks for asking about this on here-- I'm actually looking forward to hearing feedback from the community as well. I'm mostly going to keep my mouth shut unless asked questions directly, since I prefer to avoid spamming forums with business interests.

Just to let you know: The Android version is coming soon. The Android developers focused on finishing the PCT apps first, and their next project is to release the AT ones before the end of the month.

Cheers!
Guthook

guthook
07-04-2013, 08:59
Just thought I'd throw this out there, but the Android versions of the AT hiker app are starting to come out. As of this morning we have Springer to Damascus, and the rest of the sections should be coming shortly. Check out http://www.sierraattitude.com/ for info on the Android apps!

canoe
07-04-2013, 10:05
Thanks Guthook, I am gonna download it now. Never downloaded an app before. First time for everything.

Captn
07-04-2013, 11:42
Just downloaded the App .... Any chance you'll finish up Maryland before the 20th? Very impressive work.

OutlawBlues
07-05-2013, 00:44
I downloaded the app to plan out my GA section hike next year. The elevation map is excellent. The only thing I wish it had was mileage to the next shelter listed with each shelter. The Trail Map Magic app has that feature. Actually Trail Map Magic always you to click a shelter/campsite/parking lot and zero out the mileage at that spot so you can see exact mileage to the next shelters. Overall it's a great app Guthook. Maybe you could add this feature in the future.

guthook
07-05-2013, 07:58
Just downloaded the App .... Any chance you'll finish up Maryland before the 20th? Very impressive work.

Captn, I think we will have all the way up to Hanover NH by the end of the month. Just a heads up, though-- the info for VA, MD, and PA is less complete than the rest of the trail, since I haven't had a chance to map out the trail in person down there yet. I'm working on finishing NH and ME this month, if everything goes well.

guthook
07-05-2013, 08:01
I downloaded the app to plan out my GA section hike next year. The elevation map is excellent. The only thing I wish it had was mileage to the next shelter listed with each shelter. The Trail Map Magic app has that feature. Actually Trail Map Magic always you to click a shelter/campsite/parking lot and zero out the mileage at that spot so you can see exact mileage to the next shelters. Overall it's a great app Guthook. Maybe you could add this feature in the future.

Hey Outlaw Blues, thanks for checking it out. I do intend to add mileage to next shelter, tenting, and water to all of the waypoints as one of the next added features. And the ability to reverse the mileage for southbound, add your own waypoints for trip planning, and a few other things. Like the Beatles say... It's getting better all the time ;-)

OutlawBlues
07-05-2013, 08:21
Hey Outlaw Blues, thanks for checking it out. I do intend to add mileage to next shelter, tenting, and water to all of the waypoints as one of the next added features. And the ability to reverse the mileage for southbound, add your own waypoints for trip planning, and a few other things. Like the Beatles say... It's getting better all the time ;-)

Excellent! I look forward to seeing that added as an update down the road.

Maddog
07-05-2013, 08:25
I just downloaded the app and will be checking it out soon! Thanks Guthook! Maddog:D

Majortrauma
07-05-2013, 08:54
I'm doing a SOBO section hike from vicinity of Trimpi to Lost Mountain 13-18 Aug. Let me know if I can help with that section at all.

guthook
07-06-2013, 19:58
I'm doing a SOBO section hike from vicinity of Trimpi to Lost Mountain 13-18 Aug. Let me know if I can help with that section at all.
Thanks for the offer Majortrauma! I'm still trying to figure out the best way to enlist the help of other dedicated hikers. Are you handy with a GPS? If so, send me a PM... if not, no worries. If you'd like to check accuracy of the app in the area you're hiking, I can certainly use any help you offer.

I just downloaded the app and will be checking it out soon! Thanks Guthook! Maddog:D
No, Maddog-- Thank YOU ;) Seriously... thanks for checking it out!

Rasty
07-06-2013, 20:49
Is the Android version from High Sierra Altitude? I downloaded the demo and it references Guthook.

kayak karl
07-06-2013, 22:00
i'm app challenged :( do you need internet service for it to work in the field ?

Rasty
07-06-2013, 22:12
i'm app challenged :( do you need internet service for it to work in the field ?

The maps are loaded onto your phones storage card. No internet needed. It uses the GPS on the phone for location.

guthook
07-07-2013, 05:46
Is the Android version from High Sierra Altitude? I downloaded the demo and it references Guthook.

Yep! High Sierra Attitude and Guthook Hikes are two separate businesses, but we work together very closely. Guthook Hikes (me) makes the iPhone apps, and High Sierra makes the Android apps. We also split up the trail mapping responsibilities, since I live on the east coast, and Tangent and Holstein (HIgh Sierra) live on the west coast. We put the Guthook name in the Android apps as well as the iPhone ones because the iPhone PCT apps came out last year, and there was already some name recognition.