PDA

View Full Version : Roller Coaster

Iskatay
07-26-2005, 16:53
A friend of mine told me they recently SOBO'd the Roller Coaster thru N.Va. and it seemed part of the trail has been rerouted. Any truth to this rumor? How much has been rerouted and where exactly?

MileMonster
07-26-2005, 17:39
I'm not sure what the current status is. I remember that when we went through that area last year folks were talking about the reroute. They were saying that in 2005 the real "roller coaster" would be no more. Sounds like it may have been true.

Lone Wolf
07-26-2005, 18:47
The "real" rollercoaster was totally overrated. Mere pimples. Like I said before, the maintainers in that area obviously never hiked in Maine.

Kerosene
07-26-2005, 18:55
I concur with L. Wolf, I didn't think it was all that difficult. Of course, I did it on a 60-degree day in October, but it still wasn't as bad as some of the hills of eastern Vermont.

neo
07-26-2005, 21:26
the roller coaster is overrated by whiners,whimps,and non hackers,i averaged 2.5 miles an hour no problem,pa rocks are overrated also,whiners always complain:cool: neo

jackiebolen
07-26-2005, 22:29
I thought it was tough! However, it was scorching hot and humid the day I did it. Blackburn and the nice cold soda was a very, very welcome happy place.

neo
07-26-2005, 22:54
I thought it was tough! However, it was scorching hot and humid the day I did it. Blackburn and the nice cold soda was a very, very welcome happy place.
extreme heat will make a big difference for sure:cool: neo

i usaully hike in cooler weather to avoid heat:cool: neo

MileMonster
07-26-2005, 23:15
Certainly wasn't on my short list of Trail tough spots. Tough or no it was still kind of a cool landmark to pass. Another part of the Trail one hears alot about as you get near.

A-Train
07-26-2005, 23:44
The "real" rollercoaster was totally overrated. Mere pimples. Like I said before, the maintainers in that area obviously never hiked in Maine.

I remember writing in the register that night at the shelter that the maintainers had obviously never hiked in Tennesee (I was refering to that section south of Kincorra with all the little ups and downs). You could definately say the same for Maine tho

clamotte
07-27-2005, 00:06
The rollercoaster was still in operation as of 2 weeks ago. Although not crazy hard, it did make the sodas taste better!:D

TakeABreak
07-27-2005, 09:15
Well to be completely honest the roller coaster wore me out, but I had done 21 - 27 miles a day through the SNP. The day I did the roller coaster it was a warm spring day and I had stayed at the Jim and Molly Denton shelter the night before, I had already done over 20 miles that day when I got to the roller coaster, and was going to the bears den that evening.

I did the whole trek (29 1/2 miles) in 11 hours including breaks, getting water and eating lunch.

So I guess I was just worn out before I even got to the roller coaster or I am just a whimp one.

Moon Monster
07-27-2005, 15:02
I think the relocation you are talking about is the Ovaka Farm relo and is described at length in the innaugaral issue of AT Jouneys, which I cannot find online like the old and dear ATN still is. It's also mentioned here:
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.878207/k.37BF/Relocations.htm

Red Hat
07-28-2005, 12:24
I broke it up into two pieces, so it wasn't too bad. First day to Bears Den Hostel, which in my opinion is a must stay! Second to Blackburn Center and you're done with the roller coaster. I was at the trail to Blackburn by noon and hiked into Harpers Ferry the same day. But the funniest thing was the guy hiking??? through the roller coaster with two suitcases on wheels, a dufflebag and a small daypack. We named him "Luggage Man" and everyone was talking about how weird it was to see him out there. Wonder what ever happened to the guy???

The Solemates
07-28-2005, 14:42
to be honest, we had never even heard of the roller coaster until we got to Bears Den (after it is supposively over), and it seemed no different in hiking than the miles preceeding and following it. i dont understand at all why its considered any different...can anyone post a elevation profile cause ive never seen one?

...and we had a 3 day monsoon going into HF on our thru. probably the most rain we had on the entire trip (well tied with the 8 days of rain we had in VT). the day we went into HF we did 20-something miles from bears den before 2pm. we were rushing to get outta the rain.

Baby Blue
07-29-2005, 17:00
I think the relocation you are talking about is the Ovaka Farm relo and is described at length in the innaugaral issue of AT Jouneys, which I cannot find online like the old and dear ATN still is. It's also mentioned here:
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.878207/k.37BF/Relocations.htm
This relo is an absolutely beautiful section of trail. I uploaded a picture taken around a week ago.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/8086/sort/1/cat/last1/page/1

Skyline
07-29-2005, 17:50
Yep, the Ovaka relo is open. I hiked it as part of a loop with the Sky Meadows State Park using another new trail, the Ambassador Whitehouse Trail for part of the circuit. Both are spectacular and kudos to the PATC, ATC, and State folks who made it happen.

The Roller Coaster actually starts north of the relo, approximately where Rod Hollow Shelter sits. It goes until about Crescent Rock, three or so miles north of Bears Den Hostel.

I agree the hype about the Roller Coaster is a bit much--but on a hot, humid day it's also not much fun. Most NOBOs seem to hit this area on hot, humid days. The Roller Coaster does seem to define what a PUD is. It's got at least 10 of them.

I posted a trip report for the Ovaka relo and the new side trail on June 19 on PATC's Trails Forum. They purge messages after a couple months and this one's near the top of the list and probably going to be purged soon, so I'll go copy and post it here in a moment.

Skyline
07-29-2005, 18:02
Originally posted 6/19/05 on the PATC Trails Forum:

To a northbound long-distance AT hiker, after the spectacular experiences of hiking through places like Cold Mt., Tar Jacket Ridge, The Priest, Three Ridges, Humpback Mt., and parts of SNP--the hike between the Front Royal area and Harpers Ferry has sometimes been perceived to be a psychological letdown.

Not any more. This stretch of the AT now has its own spectacular feature to look forward to now that the relocation starting about two miles south of Ashby Gap has been officially opened. The Green Tunnel has been replaced by a wide open meadow, with occasional views in different directions. This relo also partners well with nearby Sky Meadows State Park. Fittingly, this relo marks a return to part of the original AT

I hiked this relo and a lot more yesterday, Saturday, June 18 with "Dr. Dick" (a friend I sometimes hike with) under ideal weather conditions. We started mid-morning from the Ashby Gap AT trailhead just north of Rt. 50, and descended to Rt. 50, crossed the divided highway, and followed the familiar trail--mostly uphill--for just a little over a mile. New signage, in the style and size used by state parks, clearly pointed out the "old" AT route to the right (now blazed a purple-blue), and the new white-blazed relo to the left. We headed left.

The trail climbs some more through woods on a very well graded trail, and emerges about 15 minutes later in an open meadow in all its June glory. The trail itself is a wide swath of mowed grass--sometimes on what appears to be an old road, sometimes on just a path cut through the meadows. Mature poplars line the edge of the meadows, and here and there are views left and right and sometimes behind and ahead. The trail meanders quite a bit, which adds to the visuals.

Within a half-mile, the AT intersects the Ambassador Whitehouse Trail, which comes in from the left as one hikes the AT southbound. This, too, is a new trail which begins within Sky Meadows State Park. It’s so new that Park maps have not yet caught up with it.

Our first goal today was to hike all of the relo, so we continued south on the AT. A few minutes beyond the Ambassador Whitehouse trail, we noticed a picnic table and obvious fire pit off to the right. I remember Kerry Snow mentioning that when this was the route of the AT decades ago that there was an old shelter up there. Could this have been its site? We never did see the remains of any shelter--which would have been difficult in High Summer anyway--but this was the only place that even suggested such a history. (The entire relo area is now signed as a no-camping zone.)

We eventually left the grand meadows (the entire relo seemed to take just over a mile) and returned to the Green Tunnel. Shortly, we arrived at a familiar sight--a junction with a Sky Meadows State Park trail to the left where a park-style bench has offered weary hikers a place to rest for many years. Several Sky Meadows dayhikers--none of whom really had a clue where they were--benefitted from our brief conversation with them.

After a snack break, we descended via several State Park trails through a primitive hike-in camping area (fee has been raised to $8), and eventually to the Sky Meadows Visitor Center. There are a number of historic interpretive exhibits here, plus a picnic area, gift shop, Park office, restrooms, and soft drink vending machines. One map display on the way to and from the hiking trails does show both the new Ambassador Whitehouse Trail and differentiates the old an new AT sections. Printed Park maps, hopefully, will be updated as well.

After another snack break, some cold drinks, and a conversation with a possible future thru-hiker, we ascended the Piedmont Overlook Trail. This is a steepish grind, again mostly on a wide-cut pathway, and features benches for resting and enjoyment of views. We briefly returned to the woods on a narrower trail, using the North Ridge Trail to connect to the new Ambassador Whitehouse Trail. It, too, begins as a steep climb through woods, crosses a cleared gas pipeline, and eventually emerges into its own easy-hiking grand meadows using a wide grassy path probably maintained with farm equipment. At one point, a small sign announces "Paris View." A grand view it is, down into the metropolis of Paris (Virginia). There were no sightings of Tom Cruise proposing to Katie Holmes in the Eiffel Tower.

The AW Trail continues for less than a half mile to its junction with the AT, and here we closed the circuit. Within a half hour we finished the hike by going north on the AT, crossing Rt. 50, and climbing up to the nearby trailhead and were headed to great BBQ on the way home in White Post, VA.

It is important to point out the obvious. The AT relo, and much of the AW Trail--being in open meadow--of course have little or no tree canopy. A few days earlier, in the high heat and humidity, our experience might not have been so glorious. If going on this hike in any kind of sunny weather a hat and sunscreen might be a good idea. It might also be a good idea to avoid the meadows during high probability of thunderstorms. As we stood admiring the Paris View, my thoughts shifted for a second or two about how icy cold that exposed location would be in winter.

My best guesstimate of our start-to-finish mileage today was 8.7 miles, though I suspect State Park signage to be off a bit so far as miles are concerned. We spent significant time talking with hikers and tourists so what might have been only a three or four hour trek turned into about six. The signs are, however, accurate so far as leading you in the right directions.

I can only imagine the bureaucratic hurdles that had to be jumped for this relo--and the new Ambassador Whitehouse Trail--to become reality. It is especially appropriate that the AT relo generally follows the route that the AT took back in the day. The sweat equity involved in getting both pathways ready for the public represent a debt that generations of future hikers owe PATC/ATC and the State Park. And it is really great to have a trail feature between Front Royal and Harpers Ferry that promises to be a highlight that both long-distance and dayhikers will think of as a destination.

Slimer
07-29-2005, 19:10
Maine is easy..........

Mini-Mosey
08-01-2005, 10:24
Wow, Skyline, thanks for all your information and the report. I just finished a weekend backpacking trip in that very area, except I started at Sky Meadows, went up the North Ridge Trail to the AT, and hiked south to Manasses Gap Shelter(tented there). I ran into a guy who was asking about the AT intersecting with the AW Trail...which I knew nothing about. I love that area and wasn't aware that a relo had occurred. Not to mention a nice circuit hike.

jurahd
06-27-2007, 15:14
I'm at bear's den now, been on the AT over three months. I've just hiked the roller coaster thru scorching heat and its tough. Nothing to scoff at, though maybe it wasn't a good idea to do a twenty miler.

Kerosene
06-27-2007, 15:49
It's gotta be a combination of the summertime temps and attempting a 20-miler after a week in SNP that makes this section seem hard. I did the Rollercoaster on a lovely Fall day 3 days into my section hike and had a great time. I had heard a lot of stories about how hard it was, but I thought that the section went by pretty quickly and with a lot less pain than I've experienced on some of those descents to, and ascents out of the deeper Gaps. Then again, maybe I'm just weird, because I thought that Georgia was pretty easy, the Pennsylvania rocks limited my daily mileage, and the Whites were harder than even the northern section of the Long Trail (of course, I was a lot younger when I did the Long Trail!).

Newb
07-03-2007, 12:55
The best thing to do on the rollercoaster is to raise your arms above your head and scream at the top of each hill.

Ender
07-03-2007, 12:59
The best thing to do on the rollercoaster is to raise your arms above your head and scream at the top of each hill.

he he he... I'm going to have to do that next time I hike over a hill, just to see what my hiking buddy thinks is wrong with me.

jurahd
09-29-2007, 22:18
actually that advice is quite helpful. I would recommend taking off your pack before raising arms adn screaming. Its all in the visioning. Roller coaster like the big bang swerving out yonder, its a time sequence to morf.

bullseye
09-29-2007, 23:19
When I sectioned through the Rollercoaster I was "warned" that I'd hit a climb so steep that they had to build steps into the hill. I'm glad they told me b/c if it weren't for those steps I wouldn't have known that was the "hard climb". I agree with LW, these people have never been to Maine.

Lone Wolf
09-29-2007, 23:41
When I sectioned through the Rollercoaster I was "warned" that I'd hit a climb so steep that they had to build steps into the hill. I'm glad they told me b/c if it weren't for those steps I wouldn't have known that was the "hard climb". I agree with LW, these people have never been to Maine.

thank you. the area is a joke for a thru-hiker type. nothing to it. sorry if any of you maintainers of that section are offended. go north where the real hiking is. :)

bullseye
09-30-2007, 09:02
thank you. the area is a joke for a thru-hiker type. nothing to it. sorry if any of you maintainers of that section are offended. go north where the real hiking is. :)

I agree that Thru's won't have any trouble. As a section hiker I did Ashby to Bear's Den in one day and it wasn't "hard", but I was tired at the end of the day. There isn't any hard or big climbs, just a bunch of PUDs due to land owners buying up the ridgetop. Just another case of the hype being bigger than the reality. The 1st 15 miles of the 100 mile wilderness in Maine (that looks flat on the profiles) is harder than the rollercoaster IMO. ;)

rafe
09-30-2007, 09:35
It was pretty hot when I went thru this summer. I agree, there's nothing special about the roller coaster except the very PUD-ish nature of it.

I think, for SOBOs, the roller coaster is a bit of a wake-up call, after a few hundred miles of fairly easy hiking in NJ, PA, MD, etc.

Cookerhiker
09-30-2007, 11:55
There's lots of "roller coasters" on the AT - nothing special about the Virginia one.

I covered it on a day hike using my bike. Left my car at the north end, cycled on a side road to the south end, and hiked back to the car. The hike was non-eventful but the bike ride nearly killed me.

Appalachian Tater
09-30-2007, 15:34
The Roller Coaster didn't seem so awful and I was left a little puzzled at the warning signs on the trail--even if they were meant to be humorous.

However, I did take a break at Bear's Den (a great stop) but high-tailed it to Blackburn when I found out they had dinner there!

It's a nice area.

Newb
10-02-2007, 07:38
OK, silly question. Where do you park on hwy 50 to get to the trail, and where is the trail? I've driven there 3 times and can't find it the crossing.

Critterman
10-03-2007, 17:05
OK, silly question. Where do you park on hwy 50 to get to the trail, and where is the trail? I've driven there 3 times and can't find it the crossing.

Go north on 601 and about 1/4 mile up on the left is a small parking lot easily missed. There is a post in the median of rt 50 that marks where the trail crosses.

Cuffs
10-03-2007, 17:22
And here I thought Id find real "roller coaster" talk... As a coaster fan, Im always looking for the highest, tallest, fastest coasters across the county (season pass holder to Cedar Point!)... but you all are talking about hiking... again... funny!

Lone Wolf
10-03-2007, 19:48
And here I thought Id find real "roller coaster" talk... As a coaster fan, Im always looking for the highest, tallest, fastest coasters across the county (season pass holder to Cedar Point!)... but you all are talking about hiking... again... funny!

just some non-hiking maintainer that posted a sign in his section who believed it was the biggest and baddest set of climbs n the AT. :D

rafe
10-03-2007, 19:52
just some non-hiking maintainer that posted a sign in his section who believed it was the biggest and baddest set of climbs n the AT. :D

Could we agree that they're just... the most annoying? Or would that contest be best left for another thread? :-?

Lone Wolf
10-03-2007, 19:55
Could we agree that they're just... the most annoying? Or would that contest be best left for another thread? :-?

who? maintainers? annoying?

rafe
10-03-2007, 20:12
who? maintainers? annoying?

No, genius. The "roller coster," as compared to all the other PUDs.

I have nothing but undying gratitude for trail maintainters.

Lone Wolf
10-03-2007, 20:16
No, genius. The "roller coster," as compared to all the other PUDs.

I have nothing but undying gratitude for trail maintainters.

don't start calling me names like your pal weasel. it's hard to figure what the **** someone is trying to say on these forums. i'm far from a GD genius.

Kerosene
10-03-2007, 20:40
Over the years I think I've learned that people who are supposed intellectual geniuses aren't necessarily very admirable individuals. It's amazing to meet unique people who are so much more developed in the various dimensions of emotional intelligence, which I think is much more correlated to happiness and success.

I concur that it is really difficult not to "step in it" with what seemed like a pretty generic comment at the time. I try to give someone the benefit of the doubt before things escalate to a firefight.

Wow, I guess I really am a 'boomer! ;)

Lone Wolf
10-03-2007, 20:43
Over the years I think I've learned that people who are supposed intellectual geniuses aren't necessarily very admirable individuals. It's amazing to meet unique people who are so much more developed in the various dimensions of emotional intelligence, which I think is much more correlated to happiness and success.

I concur that it is really difficult not to "step in it" with what seemed like a pretty generic comment at the time. I try to give someone the benefit of the doubt before things escalate to a firefight.

Wow, I guess I really am a 'boomer! ;)

i'm happily successful. at what? i don't know. :eek:

Skidsteer
10-03-2007, 21:09

Cedar Point?!

Haven't heard that name in a while. Brings back memories.

rafe
10-03-2007, 21:41
To rephrase (for the temporarily impaired) -- if not the steepest or toughest, is there any consensus about the roller coaster being some of the more annoying climbs on the trail? Obviously they were to me, else I wouldn't be nominating them...

Lone Wolf
10-03-2007, 21:46
To rephrase (for the temporarily impaired) -- if not the steepest or toughest, is there any consensus about the roller coaster being some of the more annoying climbs on the trail? Obviously they were to me, else I wouldn't be nominating them...

nobody's impaired, you just don't get your ****in point across too well. as always. btw, are you gonna be in gettysburg this weekend cuz i'm gonna bitch slap ya. :D

Skidsteer
10-03-2007, 21:49

nobody's impaired, you just don't get your ****in point across too well. as always. btw, are you gonna be in gettysburg this weekend cuz i'm gonna bitch slap ya. :D

I'm not impared until I start misspelling words.

Cookerhiker
10-03-2007, 21:56

I take it that by "the roller coaster," you're still referring to Virginia, right?

I'll discount my own experience since I slackpacked it. But I never heard a thru-hiker or long-distance section hiker refer to the VA roller coaster that way. On the other hand, I heard several thruhikers bad-mouth NY east of Greenwood Lake through Harriman Park. Most of this is also roller coaster. I recall reading the Fingerboard Shelter register entries and seeing how lots of thruhikers were certainly "annoyed" in NY. I think their frustration was hiking uphill 500-700' but still only being about 900-1,000 above sea level, thus not getting any relief from the heat & humidity typical of NY when the thruhikers arrive.

Additionally, a thuhiker buddy of mine said his 16 mile day from Rt. 17a to Fingerboard Shelter was one of the toughest to-date on the entire trail. Finally, David "AWOL" Miller's new book (AWOL on the Appalachian Trail) singles out this part of NY for being much more difficult than he expected - and this coming from a guy who regularly did 20 mile days.

So Terrapin, what did you think of NY?

rafe
10-03-2007, 23:01
So Terrapin, what did you think of NY?

I read AWOL's book and was nodding vigorously as he described that section. For me it was the section between the Thruway crossing and Fitzgerald Falls, or thereabouts. It was hot. Bunch of PUDs, back to back, about 300-400 feet each. IIRC, the first of these (heading SOBO) is called "Agony Grind."

OTOH, it was the 2nd day of that year's section hike, and Day 2, for some reason, always got the better of me.

Aside from that, NY was fine. The walk on the ridge above Greenwood Lake was a treat. And the Mayor of Unionville played trail angel for me.