PDA

View Full Version : Shenandoah- 5 days

flemdawg1
07-01-2013, 16:47
No, I'm not trying to do the whole SNP in 5 days. My wife suggested we go on a hike, so I settled on just parking at the Inn at Rockfish Gap and going north till Saturday or Sunday then getting a shuttle pickup back to the car. I figured at a modest 10miles/day we should be near Swift Run Gap for a simple extraction. Any holes in this plan?

How's the water?
Anymore reports of Noro-virus?
How are the bears?

Any must see spots or blue blazes? I did a 3-day weekend doing loops around Big Run and Dundo and really enjoyed it.

I would guess the TH bubble should be well past.

flemdawg1
07-01-2013, 16:48
Anymore reports of Noro-virus?

I meant RECENT reports. Like the last 2 weeks.

Ezra
07-01-2013, 17:00
Rockfish to Swift Run in 5 days would be a comfortable hike.
Water sources in Shenandoah are plentiful & so are the bears.

johnnybgood
07-01-2013, 17:23
Did the exact same hike last July in 4 days in oppressive heat, so you will be fine in stretching it out 1 extra day. Water sources are running great and the Noro- virus has abated.

flemdawg1
07-02-2013, 16:16
In my 2010 Companion it talks about a "Hiker Special" at Lewis Mtn and Big meadows. It appears that Aramark no longer manages these so the web link doesn't work. Does the "Hiker Special" still exists? And what is it?

Quote:Lodging:
hiker special
(includes B, taxes, B gratuity) available available
via <www.visitshenandoah.com/
mvs> or by calling (877) 778-2871 (press option 2, and ask for code SHMVS);

flemdawg1
07-02-2013, 16:36
IS it worth hitching into Elkton for a room to end? Which would you reccomend? Is it an easy hitch? Restaraunts?

Coffee
07-02-2013, 16:43
In my 2010 Companion it talks about a "Hiker Special" at Lewis Mtn and Big meadows. It appears that Aramark no longer manages these so the web link doesn't work. Does the "Hiker Special" still exists? And what is it?

I have not seen a "hiker special" rate passing through Skyland or Big Meadows (or on the website). Rooms are very expensive for what you get - at least $100 at Big Meadows and even more at Skyland.

johnnybgood
07-02-2013, 18:07
The new vendor/operator in SNP is Delaware North. I would consult with the park district office in Luray to get further information, 540-999-3500. The only preference to hikers I know of is the "hiker cabin" at Lewis Mountain Campground, which is rented out to hikers hiking in the park.

johnnybgood
07-02-2013, 18:23
IS it worth hitching into Elkton for a room to end? Which would you reccomend? Is it an easy hitch? Restaraunts?

I'm not sure why you would want to stay in Elkton anyway if you're tent camping, unless it's the wife's plan. There is a fine Mexican Restaurant if you want a sit down meal. Not sure about what lodging in Elkton is like.

flemdawg1
07-02-2013, 21:35
I'm not sure why you would want to stay in Elkton anyway if you're tent camping, unless it's the wife's plan. There is a fine Mexican Restaurant if you want a sit down meal. Not sure about what lodging in Elkton is like.

So we could get a good nights sleep, a hot meal or 2 and most importantly a shower before catching the shuttle back to the car and driving home. There is the tent cabins at Lewis Mtn. if we want to do that also.

johnnybgood
07-02-2013, 22:22
So we could get a good nights sleep, a hot meal or 2 and most importantly a shower before catching the shuttle back to the car and driving home. There is the tent cabins at Lewis Mtn. if we want to do that also.

Cabins at Lewis are by reservation, call the campground to get information. There are hot showers there, but not hot meals. I'd try to get a hitch into Elkton. You shouldn't have too much difficulty this weekend.

fredmugs
07-03-2013, 15:35
I came here to tell you that 5 days was very doable for the entire park. I saw 5 bears and they were all running for their lives. Other than (I think) Thornton Gap it's all very easy walking. Time out your hikes to take advantage of the waysides and get a blackberry shake.

flemdawg1
07-10-2013, 11:48
Big change of plans now. My In-laws, that were taking the kids (girls 7 &9 yo) camping while, my wife and I did the hike, have cancelled. So, we are thinking of just taking them with us. We'll also add an extra day of hiking, so actually 5 days for 62.1 miles (Rockfish Gap to Swift Run Gap)(had previously thought of exiting Friday). Any cool campsites in this area? Kid friendly spots (I thought my kids would like climbing around Blackrock)? I'm sure they'll love seeing the bears and eating wild blackberries this time of year( going next week).

shelb
07-11-2013, 01:16
My friend and I took our 12 and 13 year old boys through SNP from Rockfish to Front Royal in 10 days in July 2011. The temperature reached 99 at the Visitor Center, and they told us the heat index was 115.

Still - water was NO problem!!!

Our favorite areas:
Big Meadows: cheeseburger
Skyline: breakfast (pancakes)
Elk Wallow (Blackberry Shake - I believe past where you will be hiking)

Lewis Mountain was a shower stop, but I do remember some other hikers managing to get a cabin.

This will be an AWESOME experience for you kids! A couple hints: I am not sure how Alabama is, but Michigan is FLAT! When our boys began to hike up the mountains, they were freaking! We told them to just take "baby smurf" steps! (and us moms carried the equipment - tents, jet boil, purifyer, etc.). After 2 days, the guys gained confidence and were WAY outpacing us. We then shifted all the equipment weight to them....funny thing... those pre-teen boys still out-paced their moms!

Again, the best thing about SNP, is the ability to strive for rewards.... cheeseburger, etc. We were SPECIFIC that the budget ONLY allowed for that item...which made the stops easier.

Yes, Blackrock was awesome. You can find all the other awesome views (like Mary's rock, etc.) in the guide book. Honestly, my son remembers "awesome views and the best cheesburger and shake I ever had."

shelb
07-11-2013, 01:17
p,.s

Don't push the kids too much.... You don't want them to hate hiking. BEtter to have enjoyable short days/short mileage!

flemdawg1
07-11-2013, 10:40
Thanks. We've taken them backpacking before on Standing Indian Loop. We'll miss most of the highlights you suggested, as we probably won't get past Swift Run Gap. Though shakes at Loft Mtn (and a shower too) sounds like a good carrot to help them along.

FarmerChef
07-11-2013, 10:49
Thanks. We've taken them backpacking before on Standing Indian Loop. We'll miss most of the highlights you suggested, as we probably won't get past Swift Run Gap. Though shakes at Loft Mtn (and a shower too) sounds like a good carrot to help them along.

There are lots of great views if you don't mind diverging from the trail down to the Skyline Drive overlooks from time to time. I'm a firm believer in carrots and destinations and take kids hiking regularly. In my experience the kids can easily outpace the adults but tend to get bored and/or tired a bit more easily (from outpacing the adults :) ). We use a system of trail treats to encourage good behavior in between the rewards. Think Mike and Ikes, Starbursts, etc. It provides much-needed calories and a nice incentive. Those burgers and shakes are great too. For a money saving tip, head back to the camp store section of the Waysides. The food in there is more reasonably priced and with the calories you'll be burning you can "afford" the honey buns, Oreos, etc. We took them outside and had a picnic. Kids loved 'em. Just a thought. Have a great time on your hike.

johnnybgood
07-11-2013, 12:16
On the first day you will have a not too hard climb to the summit of Little Calf Mountain
Once reaching the summit there is an open field for them to enjoy . This is a popular spot for church and civic groups to have picnics and play games.
If your kids enjoy wildlife ,bring along a field guide of all the possible animals that can be found in.the park.
The waysides sell these in the gift shops , very educational also.

flemdawg1
07-22-2013, 12:23
Just got back, thanks to everyone for their help.

Here's how it went. Got to Rockfish Gap around 4pm, after driving around in circles abit trying to find a place to park (Afton Inn, old lot by State rd, SNP entry point) the NP ranger assured us the TH parking lot was safe and patrolled so we parked there. Got on the trail around 4:30, we were all drenched in sweat by the time we reached the self-reg kiosk. I knew it was going to be a Looooong hike to the shelter. It was dark before we started to descend Bear Den Mtn by the comm towers, and it was thundering and lightening about us when we reached Lil' Calf Mtn. We reached the shelter at 10:30, minutes later the clouds opened up.
The next morning we were lazy about getting out of camp and hiked slowly again, at lunchtime we'd only covered 4 miles and with 9 dry miles between us and the shelter (we only had 2 liters left) I made the decision to take the blue blaze down to Moorman river. The kids and wife really enjoyed it, we saw a bear, found lots of raspberries and the kids swam in the river at our campsite. Since we weren't going be able to cover the required mileage to get to Swift Run Gap by Saturday, we made the decision to hike back to Skyland Dr, hitch to the car and enjoy the rest of the trip car camping and day hiking. That turned out to be the right decision. We had a great time, camping at Big Meadows (the tent sites are great), eating ice cream and s'mores everyday, seeing nearly tame deer upclose, day hiking afew miles a day to a beautiful destination, having a lunch and hiking back. We even left a day early so we could spend one night in the Mt Roger's NRA campground on the way home (stayed at Hurricane CG, also a great camping spot).

WingedMonkey
07-22-2013, 13:33
The new vendor/operator in SNP is Delaware North. I would consult with the park district office in Luray to get further information, 540-999-3500. The only preference to hikers I know of is the "hiker cabin" at Lewis Mountain Campground, which is rented out to hikers hiking in the park.

Too late for this thread ..but for future Shenandoah travelers, new concessionaire Delaware North has a website for Shenandoah.
http://www.goshenandoah.com/

As before the campsites are still under the National Park reservation system.