PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Golite packs

Melrenee
07-02-2013, 04:47
I'd like some opinions on the Golite packs VS internal frame. I have a Gregory Jade 60 now,but am wanting a lighter pack. I hear good things on the frameless. Also does golite make a good one for women?

Rasty
07-02-2013, 07:16
Frameless packs are great for light loads of 20# or less including everything. I was using a frameless until last year when I switched to a ULA Circuit. Use your sleeping pad as a frame inside your pack. As for Golite I only have a Rush 14 day pack which the quality is good.

da fungo
07-02-2013, 07:43
I believe that Andrew Skurka used a GoLite pack on his first super long hike from Maine to Washungton. On the one hand, I don't recall him reporting any problems with the pack. On the other hand, if I'm not mistaken, GoLite was a sponsor of that huke, and he had worked for GoLite before starting that trip. So I guess you can't draw any conclusions from hus ue on that trip.I own a GoLite waist pack, and have been entirely happy with it - 8 years old and going strong.

Melrenee
07-02-2013, 08:04
That's so funny about Andrew Skurka! His book is what got me interested in Golite:)

Tucky
07-02-2013, 08:34
They are good. I bought my girlfriend a Go Lite Jam about a year ago and she really likes it. Also, you can't really beat it in terms of the price. Both Jams (35 and 70 L) are on sale right now for 50% off. I would give it a try at least and see what you think. Max load for these packs is 30 pounds, according to the website, but I think that may still be a little too high for max comfort.

da fungo
07-02-2013, 09:40
I just did a search through Skurka's "The Ultimate Hiker's Gear Guide". He still must be in love with GoLite, because he cites them often. And, in the section on backpacks, he says: "For most solo three-season thru-hikes, my go-to pack since 200r has been the 50-liter GoLite Jam..."

da fungo
07-02-2013, 09:43
My previous post should say "...since 2004...", NOT "...since 200r...".

rocketsocks
07-02-2013, 09:47
I just did a search through Skurka's "The Ultimate Hiker's Gear Guide". He still must be in love with GoLite, because he cites them often. And, in the section on backpacks, he says: "For most solo three-season thru-hikes, my go-to pack since 200r has been the 50-liter GoLite Jam..."Now I'm not saying they are not good packs.....but getting on board with a brand does have it's perks.

da fungo
07-02-2013, 09:59
Now I'm not saying they are not good packs.....but getting on board with a brand does have it's perks.True dat - but I don't think he's formally sponsored by GoLite any longer.

FarmerChef
07-02-2013, 10:35
We use 3 GoLite Jams in our family. Mine has seen about 1400 miles of trail and is still going strong. One clip broke on the tie down strap on top but I'm using that to hold on my sleeping pad so it was bound to give out eventually. Cheap and easy to repair/replace. My girls both got Jams as well and they are enjoying the fit and features. I'm not crazy about the new giant logo on the back pocket but for the price, quality and convenience I'm willing to overlook it. I can put 35 pounds in it and be hurting but after the first day and 5 pounds of food (feeding 5) it becomes comfortable again. As others have said, it helps to add a framesheet by using your sleeping pad, ground cover or something else reasonably stiff against the back of the pack or around the interior (if you have a blue foam pad for instance). Once the weight gets around 20 pounds or so, I stop using the waist belt altogether and just go with the straps. Then I occasionally toss it from one shoulder to the next like a school backpack. Very comfortable. Two thumbs up for the Jam from me.

Having said that, if money was no object I would be pinging Joe at ZPacks for a cuben pack and swapping out my silnylon tarp for a cuben one. ;)

mapman
07-03-2013, 06:12
Recently bought a Golite Jam 50L on sale. Used it on a 30 mile 2 day trip in Grayson Highlands. Performed well. Handled a 24# load with room to spare. Although frameless it carried as well as my Osprey exos 58 but for much less $$.

moytoy
07-03-2013, 07:30
Up until about 5 years ago I only had external frame packs. Although I still use an external frame some my Jam is by far the most used piece of gear I own.

wornoutboots
07-03-2013, 09:04
I carry a Go Lite Jam Medium & usually carry 25-30 #'s & I love it. It took me a week or so to learn how to pack it correctly now I fly with it. It's light & tough, I don't use a pack cover, I have a trash bag liner & it's been fine! I am a little twisted on how I'm going to carry my BV450 on top of it on my JMT Thru in August though :-?

Melrenee
07-03-2013, 10:25
I'm a bit afraid of the frameless bc I'm new to hiking. I saw an osprey Luna I like a lot. I may go that direction.

cjlusmc
07-03-2013, 20:45
Don't be afraid of frameless packs as long as you know you can pack it reasonably well (balanced) and don't think you'll exceed its max weight it can comfortably carry. There are many great frameless packs out there. My advice is to try one out by loading it with your gear at the store and seeing how it feels, or borrow one from a friend.

kayak karl
07-03-2013, 20:53
i use a go-lite pinnacle. have about 1500 miles on it. no problems to date. use a Equinox Katahdin Pack in summer.

dale1627
07-03-2013, 22:34
I've had a Golite Quest internal frame pack and love it. I typically carry about twenty five pounds in it with plenty of room to spare. I've been tempted to order a Jam. They make great products.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

MuddyWaters
07-03-2013, 23:05
Pick a pack for the weight range you will be in MOST of the time. You can tolerate short excursions above that puts more wt on shoulders for short time.

If you will spend most time 15-20 lbs, you can get by with frameless
If you spend most from 20-25, you will want some minimal frame with a belt
If you spend most from 25-30 you will want a minimal frame with a good belt
If you spend most > 30 go with conventional heavy pack

Nothing wrong with golite packs, but I have seen a few Jams overloaded / packed poorly. Many people are lured by the low cost.

Google "golite jam" and "frame".
If its such a great pack, why do so many want to make a homemade frame or stays for it?

Answer: They didnt understand what they were buying.

stranger
07-05-2013, 08:47
I have no strong opinion on Golite packs, they are fairly decent and hold up well from what I've seen. I just can't see why someone would buy a Golite when you could get a ULA or Granite Gear...it's beyond me.

moytoy
07-05-2013, 09:15
I have no strong opinion on Golite packs, they are fairly decent and hold up well from what I've seen. I just can't see why someone would buy a Golite when you could get a ULA or Granite Gear...it's beyond me.
I bought my Jam on sale about 4 years ago. Price is the big reason for me. I've always carried an external frame pack. But wanted to try a frameless pack and didn't want the expense of a handmade pack. If I am able to try a thru hike when I retire (big If) I'll probably do it with a Elemental Horizons pack.

stranger
07-06-2013, 10:07
Yeah...don't really play the price game, every time I've tried to save money I've usually ended up spending more, buying twice, etc... a good pack will last 10 or more years for most hikers, what's another $100 in the scheme of things? But I hear ya, if you don't have it you don't have it...but for something like a pack I do think it makes alot of sense to spend the money if possible.

fiddlehead
07-06-2013, 23:26
I like my Go-lite Breeze pack.
It is now 12 years old, and I use it in the tropics here in Thailand mostly anymore.
It is my go-to pack and has held up well.
No problems at all with their packs.
Back in 2002, I had one that de-lamentated, they sent me a new one. that is the one I still have today.

EllieMP
07-07-2013, 00:46
I have a Golite 50L that is slowly getting filled up with my "lite" gear. I feel that I should have no problem keeping the weight at around 20 lbs. Right now I am at 11 lbs and have most everything I will need. The water will be 4 lbs and the food will be where I will have to be careful in my choices. I'd like to know what other people are eating as they go along. I'll be heading NOBO the end of March. Good luck to all of you who are starting earlier.

AuntieSarah
03-24-2014, 00:11
I have a GoLite Jam 50 for sale, brand new, size small. Purchased last year for my thru-hike but I decided against it at the last minute. Willing to sell for $100 (shipped) OBO. Help a poor thru-hiker out and buy this from me!

lemon b
03-27-2014, 16:22
Had a Jam 50 medium. Did not like it. Gave it to my niece.

tsgosnell
03-28-2014, 10:10
Not sure if I can go totally frameless yet, gonna give the quest a tryout