PDA

View Full Version : Campsites between Rebecca Mountain and AL-77

marti038
07-02-2013, 10:29
Are there any good/recommended places to camp along this stretch of the Pinhoti?

10-K
07-02-2013, 11:08
Not sure if I could recommend any place in particular but you shouldn't have any trouble finding a place to spend the night.

Dogwood
07-02-2013, 13:53
Although not totally updated check out Mr Parkay's FREE PT maps for those sections at the PT website. You can look at them in PDF and see where he notes campsites on the maps.

blisterbob
07-02-2013, 14:03
Are there any good/recommended places to camp along this stretch of the Pinhoti?

About a mile or so from the 603A TH there is a stream along side an old FS road that gets very little traffic and dead ends
where the Pinhoti comes onto it, not a campsite as such but level areas and close to water.
Another mile or so and there is an old Microwave tower which has some level areas but no water.
About a mile or so West of Bulls Gap there is a fire ring and sorta level area.
This section of trail is relatively new (officially) and I'm sure more sites will be added.
If you're a hammock hanger there is unlimited areas to make your own camp.
I recommend starting with all the water you will need for the 11.2 miles.

Horn Mountain is another dry section between Bulls Gap and Scotts Lake. I would leave a water stash at Bulls Gap.
There are several established campsites on this 18 mile section.

Dogwood
07-02-2013, 14:10
Btwn Bulls Gap and Porters Gap(Hwy 77): Horn Mt fire Tower(Picnic pavillion), Sherman Cliffs, Kenny's Camp, around Scott Lake. If You're camping on the high ridges you have to plan for H20 needs accordingly as most are dry campsites but rewarding as far as views and breezes(it's humid right now!).

marti038
07-02-2013, 14:55
Thank you all for the info. Sounds like I won't have any trouble locating a spot, just need to load up on water.

10-K
07-02-2013, 17:59
Right-o... If you don't need an established campsite you won't even have to work to find a place to pitch your tent. Just look as you walk.

Carry water as noted.

Matt65
07-02-2013, 22:00
Although not totally updated check out Mr Parkay's FREE PT maps for those sections at the PT website. You can look at them in PDF and see where he notes campsites on the maps.

Great maps indeed, all I ever use. You can find them towards the bottom of the page @
http://www.pinhotitrailalliance.org/trailmaps.html

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

waterman1148
07-03-2013, 01:55
I would suggest the small camp approximately two miles before Bull gap(water 400 yds down hill) and the fire tower. The trail to the fire tower is akin to torture(for me anyway) but it is worth it once you get up there.

ednotmilkman
07-03-2013, 06:01
I would suggest the small camp approximately two miles before Bull gap(water 400 yds down hill) and the fire tower. The trail to the fire tower is akin to torture(for me anyway) but it is worth it once you get up there.

Waterman, Are you saying the side trail (old fire road) to Horn Mountain tower is bad? A friend and I walked it with a weedeater after mowing all the flat area around the shelter about 3 weeks ago, and it wasn't too bad even then.

I have a GPS track and map of where the seasonal water source is that you are referring to on Rebecca too. There will be plenty of water there for the next several weeks if not all summer, with all the rain we have had Let me see if I can insert the .jpg here2235022351
Enjoy,
Edwin

waterman1148
07-03-2013, 07:16
Waterman, Are you saying the side trail (old fire road) to Horn Mountain tower is bad? A friend and I walked it with a weedeater after mowing all the flat area around the shelter about 3 weeks ago, and it wasn't too bad even then.

I have a GPS track and map of where the seasonal water source is that you are referring to on Rebecca too. There will be plenty of water there for the next several weeks if not all summer, with all the rain we have had Let me see if I can insert the .jpg here2235022351
Enjoy,
Edwin

Hi Edwin! I used your map of Rebecca during our March trip. It is spot on!

We took the power line r.o.w. up to the fire tower, during the March 18th storm. Never could find the trail that the trail alliance lists in their guide, but yeah it was raining,lightning, the end of a looonnnggggg day, and I'm a fat a$$. Maybe it was the circumstances, but next time I think I'll go up the main road to the tower.

David

Drybones
07-03-2013, 08:56
Thank you all for the info. Sounds like I won't have any trouble locating a spot, just need to load up on water.

Marti...if you don't mind my asking, when are you planning to make this hike?

atmilkman
07-03-2013, 09:08
Hi Edwin! I used your map of Rebecca during our March trip. It is spot on!

We took the power line r.o.w. up to the fire tower, during the March 18th storm. Never could find the trail that the trail alliance lists in their guide, but yeah it was raining,lightning, the end of a looonnnggggg day, and I'm a fat a$$. Maybe it was the circumstances, but next time I think I'll go up the main road to the tower.

David

The "trail" that the PTA references to is pretty much a bushwack that you have to follow blue surveyors tape. But it will bring you right up to the back of the pavilion/shelter.

marti038
07-03-2013, 10:34
Marti...if you don't mind my asking, when are you planning to make this hike?

I haven't really nailed down a date yet, but it will probably be in August some time.

ednotmilkman
07-03-2013, 15:54
Hi Marti and Drybones,

two of my women friends wanted to hike the Horn Mountain section in the spring as an overnight but we never arranged it. Now one of them won't hike in heat, while the other won't hike in cold, so we must wait till late Sept to Oct. to try it, but if someone else wants company and shuttle help to hike this overnight section, friend #1 and I might be able to hike it with you in Aug. We thought if we did a hot weather hike we would drive in on FS 600 in advnace to stash enough water for a solar shower at Horn Mountain shelter.

You are right, waterman, about difficulty finding the tower. When we were mowing the shelter area, coming in from the road, I had no idea where the Pinhoti was, so we drove the truck back 1/3 mile or so north to where the trail meets the road and walked the Pinhoti south to where it crosses the powerline ROW road, then walked uphill while doing some clearing of the trail with the weedeater. I used the string on the way up, then switched to the Skill saw blade on the return to the truck. There are two different openings in the woods where I cleared a bit for a "semi" trail to the top. Don't need to walk the ROW all the way up the hill as that puts you to far south I think. Fairly easy to walk up from the Pinhoti with some advance directions, will be a bit harder walking back down to find the path to the powerline ROW after a summer of weed growth.

Dogwood
07-03-2013, 15:59
The "trail" that the PTA references to is pretty much a bushwack that you have to follow blue surveyors tape. But it will bring you right up to the back of the pavilion/shelter.

Yup. It's easier to locate going downhill from the Picnic Shelter. Head for the OLD privy down to the left of the large bamboo grove(I slept in it, very cool) from the Picnic Shelter and follow the slight ridge downhill. The road isn't all that bad a walk either nor does it add mileage.

flemdawg1
07-05-2013, 17:08
I used the road to get to the Horn Mtn FT. We had a water stash up there and camped there. Scott Lake also looked like a nice area to camp.

marti038
08-05-2013, 14:55
How well is Rebecca Mtn. marked? Starting at FS 603A, am I looking for blue blazes? Is it well blazed all the way to the Bull's Gap TH?

atmilkman
08-05-2013, 15:09
How well is Rebecca Mtn. marked? Starting at FS 603A, am I looking for blue blazes? Is it well blazed all the way to the Bull's Gap TH?

This section is marked very well. Edwin and myself blazed it. It's done in Pinhoti blue. Regular dollar bill sized blazes. Sometimes it seems a little overblazed due to the dotting of the trees when it was surveyed. Very easy to follow.

al_stargazer
08-06-2013, 19:16
We reblazed it last year when we did trail cleaning/maintenance. We tried to cover up all the old blue blazes that were not needed anymore. We are planning on a trail day in October, but if anyone sees any problems before then please let us know. :-)

atmilkman
08-06-2013, 21:20
We reblazed it last year when we did trail cleaning/maintenance. We tried to cover up all the old blue blazes that were not needed anymore. We are planning on a trail day in October, but if anyone sees any problems before then please let us know. :-)

Excellent stargazer. Thanks for everything you and anyone else does.

marti038
08-07-2013, 08:45

Will you announce the details in this forum? I'd be interested in joining in if not providentially hindered.