PDA

View Full Version : Trip to SNP in September

jdlae2504s
07-02-2013, 14:12
I am planning an SNP trip in mid September from US33 at Swiff Run Gap to Thorton Gap at US211. I plan to hike over 4 days staying with a tent at Bearfence, then Meadows, then Skyline, then out at Thorton Gap.

Where is the best place to park my car and return to after the completion of my hike? Is the best to shuttle or just catch a ride in the park area?

Thanks in advance.

FarmerChef
07-02-2013, 14:29
I would think your best bet would be to park at Thorton Gap and catch a shuttle back to your starting point. There are several shuttles that operate down there. I recommend Mike Evans. Check out the shuttle page on the ATC website here http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/find-a-hike/parking-shuttles-transportation

GoldenBear
07-02-2013, 14:58
Thorton Gap has two parking lots: one that requires that you enter the Park, and one that doesn't. This link to a Google Map{R} shows it best:
http://tinyurl.com/kvfn779
If you park in the lower lot, just off Highway 211, you do not need to pay the automobile entrance fee. You could, in theory, park there, pay the entrance fee for a pedestrian at the entrance station (and get the back-country permit as well), and then get shuttled to Swift Run Gap.
Note, however, that the auto entrance fee is $15, and the individual fee is $8. If more than one person is taking part in this hike, it's cheaper to pay the auto entrance fee.

If you park in the upper lot, you have to pay the automobile entrance fee. This lot is about ten meters closer to the Trail.
http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/at_VAsection8/ATPictures.aspx

I PRESUME (note the verb) that the upper lot would be safer, as someone looking to break into your car is less likely to drive past an entrance station with either a ranger or a video camera, just to get to a parking lot to look for cars to steal from. However, I have no idea about the safety of either lot.

I used Mike Evans for my shuttle between Thorton Gap and Ashby Gap, and was satisfied with his service. Phone him a few days ahead of time to ensure he will be available to do the shuttle you want, on the day you want to hire him to do this shuttle. He charges (basically) $1 for every mile he has to drive from his home, to where you want to be picked up, to where you want to be dropped off, and then back to his home. It was 27 miles from his home to Thorton Gap, but his standard charge to there and back is $50. Add the 33 miles each way between the two gaps on Skyline Drive, and you add $66 to his charge. The love he has for this area, which he will GLADLY share with you, make his shuttles worth every penny.

Mitey Mo
07-07-2013, 20:17
I have hiked in the park several times. Each time was a weekend and I had very little trouble hitching a ride back to my car. Either other hikers or campers and even tourists have given me rides. Maybe being a 62 yr old woman makes it easier

68fish
07-07-2013, 21:59
+1 for Mike Evans!! Great guy, very entertaining!!

Cherokee Bill
07-16-2013, 19:43
Well, depending on temps, my "outdoor-buddy" and I may "Thru-hike" the SNP about the same time! He hates HOT weather and I cannot tolerate real-cold weather! So when the average day temps hit 50 - 60 deg, we'll probably head up there (if I can convince him to go). We are both retired & married to nurses who hate backpacking :). He is about 57 and I am 66, both in good shape, so we may see yall on the SNP AT..................... Happy hiking

Guinness Feb 20x5
07-16-2013, 19:56
Great! I teach so I can only hike longer sections in the summer. My husband and I just finished a three night trip from White Top, over Mt Rogers to Grindstone. Beautiful! He has to go back to work and I am still suffering from the hiking bug and want to get right back out on the trail. Really out of shape and also trying to regain some strength and stamina. I hope to see you on the trail.

Cherokee Bill
07-17-2013, 19:20
Great! I teach so I can only hike longer sections in the summer. My husband and I just finished a three night trip from White Top, over Mt Rogers to Grindstone. Beautiful! He has to go back to work and I am still suffering from the hiking bug and want to get right back out on the trail. Really out of shape and also trying to regain some strength and stamina. I hope to see you on the trail.

Thanks, hope to see you folks as well! WE have both committed (wives told us to go for it) to backpacking the SNP, again, when the mean daily temp hits 50 - 60 deg.

jdlae2504s
07-20-2013, 06:27
Thanks for the information and extra effort on the map. I have a kitchen pass from my wife also and might see a few of you there. Enjoy your day.

Cookerhiker
07-20-2013, 08:22
Agree with leaving car at Thornton Gap and I'd take a chance on hitchhiking that stretch especially if you're hiking on a weekend. I hitched a longer stretch (Compton Gap to Swift Run) in November and had no problems getting a ride. Granted, it was the Friday after Thanksgiving so there may have been more tourists than usual spending Black Friday the way it should be.:)