PDA

View Full Version : Before I buy an HH...

Buckingham
07-26-2005, 23:28
:confused: I'm thinking of purchasing a Hennesey Hammock, but before I do, do I have to buy the underquilt, or will my sleeping bag be sufficient? I'll be in Jersey mid-September when I use it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank-you.

SGT Rock
07-26-2005, 23:59
Probably just your sleeping bag and a foam pad.

Just Jeff
07-27-2005, 01:30
Pads work for some folks, and it's probably the cheapest option, but I don't like them because I sweat through my bag on them. Closed-cell pads, anyway. A down-filled pad might fix that problem, especially with a SPE from Ed Speer...haven't tried a down pad yet.

Underquilts are pretty simple to make if you have (or know someone who has) basic sewing skills. Or you can rig one up from any old blanket, like Rock's poncho liner underquilt.

Depending on your budget, it might be worth springing for the JRB set. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they weren't completely satisfied with their purchase, and the Jacks are great folks with great service.

Other ideas at http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HammockCamping.html

trippclark
07-27-2005, 11:07
In my opinion, you'd be okay with a pad and sleeping bag, but you would certainly be happier with an underquilt. It is more effective/efficient and less hassle. I'd suggest getting the underquilt as or when budget allows.

Kerosene
07-27-2005, 11:13
I find that a thin closed-cell pad alone is insufficient once the nighttime temperature gets below 50 degrees.

rpettit
07-27-2005, 12:31
I suggest that you read all of the Hennessy Hammock posts in the hammock camping forum. There are a mutlitude of opinions about the hammock, set-up information, strategies for keeping dry when it rains and warm when it is cold. You will need to develop both of these in order to hammock 3 season or year round. I own a HH, love it. I will never sleep on the ground again unless I absolutely have to, or if my wife goes backpacking with me and makes me sleep in the tent with her.

Fiddleback
07-27-2005, 19:44
Everybody sleeps differently...sometimes I've laughed at the posts of some who've shivered from trail temperatures warmer than I keep my house or who froze at lows higher than the highs I experienced on the trail. (I pay for that laughter when I start whining about temps in the high 80s:o ). So, we can't tell what you're gonna need. We can say that, if you keep warm, you'll experience the best night's sleep on the trail you've ever had.

Experiment. Buy your HH ahead of your trip. Learn how to set it up and do some backyard/local nights out. That's how you can develop your own sleep system that will keep you warm. I myself use a 1/4" thick pad covered with a light fleece throw and cold weather clothing -- no bag. That combo takes me down to the high 20's. But I missed the psychological comfort of a cover so this year I've added a quilt and dropped out some of the clothing.

Experiment...sleep your own sleep. You're gonna love that hammock!

FB

Buckingham
08-04-2005, 16:03
Well, I got my Hennessy, Expedition asym, should be here on wednesday, than I can start tinkering around with it. Thanks everyone for your excellent advice, I appreciate it.

jackiebolen
08-04-2005, 18:55
You're gong to be cold unless you use a pad or an underquilt of some sort. I sometimes don't bring one and I often freeze.

neo
08-04-2005, 22:21
you can use a sleeping bag as a quilt,its easier if it has full lenght zipper.i have
used closed cell foam pad 24 inch wide cut down to 54 in long,neo:cool: http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/7242/sort/1/cat/577/page/3

Gadog430
08-05-2005, 11:28
I have gotten a 3/4 pad ultralight to take when I take my hammock. I am going to see how this does. I have a full length ancient Therm-arest that I swear by for normal circumstances. I wish I had more time for more trips so that I could get the gear down to a science. Because of the lack of time, all the trips end up being a shake down for some piece of new equip or a new configuration.

But I did really like my hammock the time I got to use it. Haven't gotten out there since then unfortunately.

I really do think you will enjoy your hammock. I have to take the tent if the kid goes because we only have one hammock. Next year...maybe we can change that at Trail Days.

Dawg

Footslogger
08-05-2005, 11:36
[QUOTE=Gadog430]I have gotten a 3/4 pad ultralight to take when I take my hammock. I am going to see how this does.
================================================
Gadog ...I use the same pad. Just remember not to inflate it all the way. If you do that it will tend to squirt out from underneath you.

'Slogger

jackiebolen
08-05-2005, 13:53
I find the cheap-o foam pad from Wal-Mart works better than a Thermarest for the HH. It's cheaper for one thing, lighter and wider, less slippery. All better for the HH.

A Thermarest is only a good thing when you're sleeping on a hard shelter floor.

Footslogger
08-05-2005, 14:03
A Thermarest is only a good thing when you're sleeping on a hard shelter floor.===========================================
That is the reason I carry the 3/4 thermarest. Even with the HH in my pack I sometimes end up in a shelter.

'Slogger

Gadog430
08-05-2005, 16:53
Slogger,

That was my thinking, and the 3/4 is so light. I am sad to leave my Mack Daddy Therm-a-rest at home, but my hiking partner and I talk constantly about lesser weight. With the 3/4, you have the option, and it still can go in the hammock.

Dawg