PDA

View Full Version : How Does Your Pack Feel?

illininagel
01-03-2003, 10:27
Up to this point, my longest backpacking trip was seven days. When we started, my pack felt pretty good. After about only a mile, I began to feel the weight on my back---but not bad. It seemed like each day (up to about day 3), I became more comfortable with the pack. I seemed to be "getting used to it." But towards the end of the week, the pack seemed to get heavier again. My shoulders started getting sore.

For those of you that have done thru hikes, would you share your perspective on how the pack feels over time? Do you ever get to the point where you forget you are carrying it? Does it get tougher to put it back on after being in town for a while?

MOWGLI
01-03-2003, 10:38
After perhaps 500 miles the pack felt like a turtle shell to me. It was a part of me. Yeah, it was sometimes a little heavy leaving town with 4-5 days of food, but you get used to it. I slackpacked a few times, but past the midway point I always felt naked without my pack. I wanted to carry it. The ATC office in Boiling Springs offered to take my pack about 12 miles north to Scott Farm on a blistering hot June day. It was perhaps 95 degrees with 90% humidity. I politely declined the offer. I wanted my pack with me.
I hope that helps.

BTW, I never stopped being sore during my hike. I think it is the rare thru-hiker that does.

Hammock Hanger
01-03-2003, 10:41
After a while the pack was never an issue. I've stopped and talked with passing hikers for 30-45 minutes and never took the pack off. It was just there, like my skirt and top. It always held me in good position, made my back feel good. Hammock Hanger

illininagel
01-03-2003, 10:46
Originally posted by TNJED
After perhaps 500 miles the pack felt like a turtle shell to me. It was a part of me. Yeah, it was sometimes a little heavy leaving town with 4-5 days of food, but you get used to it. I slackpacked a few times, but past the midway point I always felt naked without my pack. I wanted to carry it. The ATC office in Boiling Springs offered to take my pack about 12 miles north to Scott Farm on a blistering hot June day. It was perhaps 95 degrees with 90% humidity. I politely declined the offer. I wanted my pack with me.
I hope that helps.

BTW, I never stopped being sore during my hike. I think it is the rare thru-hiker that does.
TNJED:

When you say, "I never stopped being sore during my hike," did you mean because of the pack? I assume that my legs will always be somewhat sore. I just wasn't sure what to expect from my upper body...

Thanks, Illininagel:)

Team GAK
01-03-2003, 11:19
Boots and packs can be your best friends and worst enemies. Make sure you know how to properly fit your pack to you. Even as you hike some belts and straps tend to loosen up and the pack fit becomes poor. Contact the manufacturer for the spec sheet and fitting instructions. Our biggest problem turned out to be our hip belts became too big, when we started to lose weight, then we didn't have the proper fit on our hips so our shoulders suffered. You will get lots of conflicting advice on the trail. Make sure you know how to do your own pack adjustment if you want to be a happy hiker. And don't count on the outfitters, some of them know, but some of them don't - how can you tell - I don't know.

chief
01-03-2003, 14:04
in reply to original post - i can't say i ever had a problem with shoulder or back soreness because of my pack. that tells me the fit and adjustment are pretty good (all important). your experience over the first several days of a hike is pretty typical, i would say. over my 1400 miles in 2000, i always knew the pack was there, it just wasn't so obtrusive that i thought about it much. however, you'll easily feel when you carry extra food/water.

on another note, the only real problem i had with soreness was the first week sleeping on a u'lite thermorest, but that went away soon enough.

your results may vary!

Redbeard
01-06-2003, 02:02
I carried 50lbs last year from Springer to Damascus. Never ever ever ever again. The good thing is, if you train heavy, then reduce your weight, it will be a piece of cake. Switching from winter gear to summer gear helps alot.

stranger
01-06-2003, 20:11
Your pack should never hurt your back. Unless you are carrying sick amounts of weight the suspension should handle it. You might be sore for a few days, maybe a week, but after that it should be sooth sailing as far as your pack goes. Obviously it will be heavier when you leave town, lighter when you arrive, but this really shouldn't affect the so called comfort of a pack. The weight should only affect your fatigue level, not your pack suspension. And if you carry a frameless pack you are more likely to run into problems.