PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy's Run water levels?

mak1277
07-03-2013, 13:50
I am planning to do a short-notice overnight in SNP tomorrow/Friday and was wondering if anyone had information about the water levels on Jeremy's Run trail? I know we've had rain for what feels like 50 days in a row, so I was a little worried about all the stream crossings.

Thanks in advance.

johnnybgood
07-03-2013, 16:23
My guess is there will be some tricky stream crossings for sure. Jeremy's Run Loop has a dozen crossings, and with all the rain, it could be challenging. Take H2 Keen Newport Sandals , or another type water shoe and walk through the water . Wear quick drying neoprene slippers in lieu of socks and be done with it. It raining buckets here right now....flood watch has been posted for this area.

Cherokee Bill
07-03-2013, 19:47
Creek Water levels here, in Central VA, are HIGH and creeks are rolling! Seems to have rained most every day for a month and they are calling for showers for the next 5 - 6 days. If you can put your trip off, do so for safety sake!

I am retired, and volunteer with my County Sheriffs Dept and was out checking some creeks coming off the Blue Ridge Parkway today and WOW, small creeks look like rivers! The ones we saw today, well, there is NO WAY I'd cross them.

As you know the "AT" follows the Blue Ridge Parkway and we were commenting that we really feel for "AT" hikers coming thru here at present, due to the many creek crossings on the Trail!

Coffee
07-03-2013, 19:53
I was also hoping to hike SNP over the weekend and thinking about Jeremys Run. I'll probably try to think of a SNP hike without stream crossings. Maybe an out and back along some segment of the AT I haven't seen before staying up high on the ridges.

mak1277
07-04-2013, 08:49
I was also hoping to hike SNP over the weekend and thinking about Jeremys Run. I'll probably try to think of a SNP hike without stream crossings. Maybe an out and back along some segment of the AT I haven't seen before staying up high on the ridges.

my alternate route is going to be neighbor mountain trail out and knob Mtn trail back. I think it is roughly 2 miles longer than the Jeremy's run loop I was going to do, which would have started with neighbor Mtn anyway.

mak1277
07-05-2013, 12:01
Just got back from the overnight. No issues at all with Jeremy's Run. You can pretty much rock hop all the crossings, or power right through ankle deep water.

Coffee
07-05-2013, 12:19
Just got back from the overnight. No issues at all with Jeremy's Run. You can pretty much rock hop all the crossings, or power right through ankle deep water.
How are the Mosquitos and other bugs near the campsites on Jeremy's run?

mak1277
07-05-2013, 14:46
How are the Mosquitos and other bugs near the campsites on Jeremy's run?

I didn't find them too bad at all and I was actually surprised I didn't see more Mosquitos. I ran into a couple that said they saw 2 rattlesnakes right off of Jeremy's Run trail, but I didn't see any.

mak1277
07-05-2013, 14:49
And I only saw one single tick the whole trip!

Coffee
07-05-2013, 19:12
Sounds great. I'm planning to hit the trail tomorrow.

mak1277
07-07-2013, 12:41
How was the trip RH?

Coffee
07-07-2013, 13:09
How was the trip RH?

I had a very nice hike yesterday. I had some things to do today so I ended up doing it as a day hike rather than an overnight trip (although still loaded with my pack weighing about 31 pounds - this was a "training hike" for JMT). I started at Beahms Gap and took the AT to the Neighbor Mountain trail down to Jeremy's Run. I noticed several nice looking camping spots but strangely none except one were occupied despite the fact that it is a holiday weekend. The stream crossings were not that bad although I stupidly ended up falling into the creek at one point when I tried to rock hop (waded the rest of the crossings w/o a problem). After hiking Jeremy's Run, I took the AT south, explored the Byrd's Nest hut area and ended up back at Beahms Gap. Total of about 16 miles. Ended the hike just as storm clouds looked to be moving in.

I definitely want to hike (and camp) on Jeremy's Run during the foliage season this fall.

johnnybgood
07-07-2013, 14:26
Jeremy's Run is a favorite of mine and the early fall, October timeframe is perfect for this hike which can be an overnighter. Falling in creeks is something I too know a little bit about, slippery rocks are usually the culprit.