PDA

View Full Version : Another gear question

Trebor66
07-03-2013, 21:08
I have been buying some new gear lately in attempt to reduce pack weight. As of now my pack, bag, pad, and tent total up to 8.5 lbs. I know this does'nt reach the level of UL but how does it add up in y'alls opinion?
Pack - REI Flash 65 (Large)
Bag - Marmot Cloudbreak 32 (Long)
Pad - Therm A Rest Prolite (Long)
Tent - TentTarp Contrail

bfayer
07-03-2013, 21:17
I have been buying some new gear lately in attempt to reduce pack weight. As of now my pack, bag, pad, and tent total up to 8.5 lbs. I know this does'nt reach the level of UL but how does it add up in y'alls opinion?
Pack - REI Flash 65 (Large) Good pack, but do you need that much room? Lighter options out there if not.
Bag - Marmot Cloudbreak 32 (Long) Go with a quality down bag such as Montbell if you can afford it.
Pad - Therm A Rest Prolite (Long) CCF or something like a neoair/Synmat UL7 would save significant weight here.
Tent - TentTarp Contrail Personally I like a larger tent, but if the size works for you, it's a great tent.

My Comments in red above.

Trebor66
07-03-2013, 22:01
Thanks for the suggestions. You make a very good point about the pack. I really like the Flash packs but was a little concerned about going too small, thats why I went with the 65. I'm a weekender, whats your opinion on the Flash 50?

rocketsocks
07-03-2013, 22:22
Thanks for the suggestions. You make a very good point about the pack. I really like the Flash packs but was a little concerned about going too small, thats why I went with the 65. I'm a weekender, whats your opinion on the Flash 50?
Well your big 4 is 2 lbs. lighter than my set up....
I too have a 65 liter pack (osprey Atmos) and to my way of thinking it's just right for colder weather gear, in warmer I don't need to bring the brain if I want to shave some weight...but yep I could go with a 50 liter pack and do alright.

MuddyWaters
07-03-2013, 22:56
Its fine.
Could be lighter by a lb or two
Could be much heavier as well

atmilkman
07-03-2013, 22:58
I'm just a bit over you with both my setups. Summer - 8.68; Winter - 9.75 Only my bag is different. ULA Circuit, Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2, Thermarest 40th Anniversary regular, Western Mountaineering MityLite and Ponderosa MF.

Durtydan
07-03-2013, 23:13
get the osprey exos 58. still has the volume, and the airspeed frame but is extremely light and minimal in the features. 2.8 lb isn't too much to still have the luxurys of a solid pack

bfayer
07-04-2013, 08:21

I find packs are like closets. The more room you have, the more stuff you put in them. Get all your gear together, look at each item and decide if you really want to carry it. Once you have your final gear list, find the smallest lightest pack you can put your stuff in and still carry comfortably.

I carry a ULA, but I think the REI Flash pack are very good packs for the price.

q-tip
07-04-2013, 09:26
Lightweight backpackers usually run in the 14-16 lbs. range for a total kit-you are in the ballpark. I can get my big four to 6 lbs., but I prefer my Contrail over a tarp. For a pound, it is definitely worth it. I have several gear lists, if interested pm me,Charlie

RockDoc
07-05-2013, 17:12
Sounds reasonable.
You'll be lighter than most people.