PDA

View Full Version : Great picture of Weary on-line.

rickb
07-27-2005, 08:17
Is that realy a picture of Weary at www.matlt.org (http://www.matlt.org/)? :clap

http://www.matlt.org/pics/Bob%20Cummings%20Katahdin,%20Oct.%2016,%201993.jpg
Congratulations to Bob Cummings!

Bob Cummings, one of the founding board of directors of the Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust, was recently awarded the Appalachian Trail Conference highest award for service to the Appalachian Trail.

Complete ATC press release (http://www.matlt.org/ATC%20Cummings%20PR.asp)

Except from award presentation remarks by Dave Field

"At a recent Maine Legislative hearing regarding wind power, a well-known Representative rose after one person had completed his testimony to comment on the testifier's character and contributions to Maine and its wild lands. The Representative said that there had been three people who had profoundly affected the wild lands of Maine during the twentieth century. The first was Percival P. Baxter, benefactor of Baxter State Park. The third person identified by the speaker, because of his efforts to recover the Public Lot lands for Maine people, was our first nominee. After the Representative had spoken, the hearing room exploded with a standing ovation to honor a quiet, humble man with a passion for wild lands protection."

Full text of award presentation remarks by Dave Field (http://www.matlt.org/ATC%20Cummings%20Award%20Dave%20Field.asp)

You can financially support Bob's efforts to protect the wilderness experience of the AT in Maine through our secure online donation site:

http://www.groundspring.org/button/green_lrg.gif (https://secure.groundspring.org/dn/index.php?aid=5092)

Or send your check payable to:

MATLT, Western Mountains Campaign

Mailing Address:
PO Box 325
Yarmouth, Maine 04096[/color]

For more information contact:
Carole Haas, Administrative Director
(207) 767-6303
[email protected] ([email protected])[/color][/font][/b][/b]

rickb
07-27-2005, 08:21
Sorry about the formattin. I thought pasting would bring over the HTML. Any help Sgt. Rock?

BTW, apart from the article, did everyone notice the crutch tip on that Alder staff :) .

Rick B

SGT Rock
07-27-2005, 09:09
Is that better?

MOWGLI
07-27-2005, 10:38
Hey Weary! Congrats on a well deserved award. I was at the ATC Biennial and left before the meeting on the evening of July 2. I gave my daughter the option of attending the meeting, or going to the new Batman movie. Being a 15 year old who spent the entire day in the exhibit hall and then a reception, she chose the movie. I was keeping an eye out for you all day Saturday in hopes of meeting you.

I look forward to the day when I can meet you, shake your hand, and thank you in-person for all that you do. Once I pay off the IRS, I'm sure I can convince my wife to write a check to MATLT.

Jeffrey Hunter

Jack Tarlin
07-27-2005, 13:26
I just took a few minutes and read the ATC's press release and Dave Fields's remarks about this award presentation.

Weary and I have argued many times here at Whiteblaze, and we probablyy will again, usually over something insignificant. What is NOT insignificant is his work in Maine in re. to land protection and preservation. He has done remarkable work in Maine and he deserves every possible recognition and thanks for this.

We are all in his debt.

attroll
07-27-2005, 13:52
rickboudrie

I cleaned it up a little more. The picture was to big to have in the post.

Congrats to Weary. Thank you for everything you have done for the Appalachian Trail.

TJ aka Teej
07-27-2005, 17:39
A clean shaven Weary:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/1285/sort/1/cat/500/page/6
Congrats for the recognition Bob, and thank you for all you've done for the AT and preserving lands in Maine.

Mr. Clean
07-28-2005, 06:45
I thought that was him that I read about in the Portland Sunday Telegram. Congrats, Weary, you da man.

Mags
07-28-2005, 13:20
What a nice way to say "Thank you" for much hard work. Talk about a legacy!

icemanat95
07-28-2005, 14:30
Like Jack, Weary and I have had our disagreements over the years. But one thing that has remained constant has been my respect for what Weary has done for the AT and wild lands in Maine in general. Very few people can boast a similar commitment or even remotely comparable record of achievement....of course Weary doesn't boast about it very much either.

Congratulations Weary, you've earned the recognition.

Nightwalker
07-28-2005, 20:36
Yeah, Bob and I have disagreed a time or three, but I can't think of anything substantive to say against him. I actually like the old geezer quite a bit!

I'd always wondered what he looked like! I like the beard pic better...

Congrats Weary...

:D

Tha Wookie
07-29-2005, 08:11
Thanks for being an example to us younger and the not-so-younger hikers. Truly, the government has less and less financial and human resources to manage trails, create new trails, and aquire new lands. It really is up to us to step up to the plate and give back.

Way to go, Weary... THANK YOU!

And thanks to everyone who contributes financially or in their own way... IT ADDS UP!:D

SGT Rock
07-29-2005, 09:31
Absolutely. Weary is my hero when it comes to trail stewardship. He walks the walk.

rickb
07-29-2005, 09:43
He may walk the walk, but from the look of that picture he does so in cotton. Albeit in a Rusty's HTH T-shirt. :)

weary
07-30-2005, 09:22
....And thanks to everyone who contributes financially or in their own way... IT ADDS UP!:D
Thanks for the many kind comments -- and a reminder. Though the Maine Appalachian Land Trust has raised enough money to repay the $200,000 mortgage we needed to protect the summit of Abraham and the slopes of Saddleback our initial fund drive is still $150,000 from it's goal.

The additional money is needed for a stewardship fund for the protected lands -- and to keep the organization functioning for the next major effort. Tha Wookie is right. Big or small, the donations add up. Though we like big donations, even more important are a lot of donations. It's broad support that convinces foundations and others with deep pockets that we are a viable organization worthy of their contributions.

I do find all the hoopla a bit embarrassing. I was lucky enough to have a job for 35 years that was also a hobby. The 450.000 acre public lot story especially involved quite a few people who did far more than I did. My role was to bring the issue to their attention and keep it alive until the legal and political process could work its wonders.

Much harder is my current task, providing buffers for the narrow trail corridor in Maine from land that sadly has been mostly purchased by land developers.
Any help you can offer is both badly needed and much appreciated.

Weary www.matlt.org

Ridge
06-14-2006, 15:43
.... I gave my daughter the option of attending the meeting, or going to the new Batman movie.....

May want to use a little PG for the next movie.
I just read a funny post that says Katie Holmes will be dropped from the sequel "Batman Begins" as Batman/Bruce Waynes love interest. Instead the love interest in the new movie will be the "JOKER" himself. I'm thinking "what kinda crazy crap joke is this" then I remembered that the new Batwoman is now a Lesbian. Too Hollywood for me.

Moxie00
06-14-2006, 17:43
While that picture does resemble Weary it is actually a very real iife painting of Moses by the great Micelangelo. Moses had just emerged from 40 days in the wilderness where he had been a guest at a bibilical version of Rusty's. The painting was recently found in Salvation Army thrift store in Rome Italy.

Blissful
06-14-2006, 19:49
While that picture does resemble Weary it is actually a very real iife painting of Moses by the great Micelangelo. Moses had just emerged from 40 days in the wilderness where he had been a guest at a bibilical version of Rusty's. The painting was recently found in Salvation Army thrift store in Rome Italy.

Hey, I'll have to look for it. I'll be in Italy next week, in Rome in two weeks. Yippee :banana (sorry, just had to interject the dancing b)

bfitz
06-14-2006, 21:53
Cheers!:clap :clap :clap :clap

Hana_Hanger
06-15-2006, 00:30
[quote=weary
I do find all the hoopla a bit embarrassing. I was lucky enough to have a job for 35 years that was also a hobby. The 450.000 acre public lot story especially involved quite a few people who did far more than I did. My role was to bring the issue to their attention and keep it alive until the legal and political process could work its wonders.

Weary www.matlt.org (http://www.matlt.org)[/quote]

:rolleyes:awww but the rest of us "Need to See" that hoopla from time to time as reminders for us to say Thanks for all the hard work others do.

So even thou I have not got to personally enjoy the AT yet...I wish to add my Mahalo Nui Loa's (Thank You Very Much) for all you have done as well.

Vi+
06-15-2006, 13:35
Good Photo.

Great Work.

Congratulations on your recognition.

Thank you.

emerald
06-15-2006, 15:03
Moxie00: While that picture does resemble Weary it is actually a very real iife painting of Moses by the great Micelangelo. Moses had just emerged from 40 days in the wilderness where he had been a guest at a bibilical version of Rusty's. The painting was recently found in Salvation Army thrift store in Rome Italy.

You think so? I was thinking he bears a somewhat of a resemblance to a Moosehead manatee, but I mean that strictly as a compliment. They're endemic, you know. While they may have migrated from elsewhere, as in from away:-?, they're now committed to staying in Maine exclusively, well, except for occasional brief forays into distant but not unfamiliar territory, because they know Maine is the way life should be.

Thank you very much Bob, for all your contributions both at WhiteBlaze.net, to MATC, to MATLT and for helping to make Maine more like the way life should be.

Where does Moxie00 get all his wacky ideas? Is it something in the water in Mt. Vernon?