PDA

View Full Version : A question about the cubic inch size of a pack.

Different Socks
07-04-2013, 00:16
My 10 year old Camelbak pack just died on me today and while looking around at hydration packs for something of comparable size I became confused on the cubic inch sizes.

So here is my question: For an average day hike pack, what would be an adequate cubic inch size?

How about a pack for 1--2 days/overnights?

And the cubic inch space of a pack for a 3--4 days and/or a pack for week long hikes?

Now I know the monster packs will be high, like 5000-7000 cubic inches, yet according to some info I dug up on my discontinued pack, it may look like a regular size book back pack, but it is supposed to be around a 2200 cubic inch capacity. Here is where I am stumped: The new pack I was gonna get from Camelbak is larger in size, but smaller in cubic inch space(only 1900) and the business rep told me that it was an over nighter pack. How can that be? I mean my busted day pack had a bigger cubic inch space and there is no way it could be used for more than a day hike.

So help me out here. What's an average size for a day pack, overnight pack and weekend pack?

moytoy
07-04-2013, 07:07
By my way of thinking there is not much difference in an over night pack and a long distance pack. The only difference is the amount of food you carry. But I digress. I can get all I need for a 5 day hike in my old Jam and it's 30 cu inches. The only problem with that is the weight is 26 lbs and that's a little more than I'm comfortable with in the Jam. For me I use the Jam for anything less than 22lbs. If I don't fill it up I just cinch it down. Summertime hiking will almost always find me with the Jam. I'm pretty sure I didn't answer your question. :)

RCBear
07-04-2013, 07:21
50 litres (most are getting away from using c.i. designation) should cover it all. Pack properly and it is perfectly fine for multi day, yet not too large that it can't compress for use as a day pack.

fredmugs
07-04-2013, 11:27
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=liters+to+cubic+inches I carry more stuff than most people so it's hard for me to recommend an "average" size. I would look at the GoLite Jam packs.

johnnybgood
07-04-2013, 11:41
I can get all I need for a 5 day hike in my old Jam and it's 30 cu inches. :)

I'm guessing you meant 3000 cu. inch, which is equal to 60 LTS. Hard to imagine going on a 5 day hike using a 30 cu. inch pack :)

Captn
07-04-2013, 11:46
It depends on the gear you carry .... Stuff your gear in a box, measure the width, length, and how high the gear comes up the sides of the box. Multiply the three numbers together .... That's the volume pack you need, less food.

litefoot2000
07-04-2013, 13:03
50 litres (most are getting away from using c.i. designation) should cover it all. Pack properly and it is perfectly fine for multi day, yet not too large that it can't compress for use as a day pack.
Yes, I agree. 50 liters should be a gracious plenty. If not, you've got too much stuff. 1 liter is approximately 55 cubic inches. I could thru hike with what most call a day pack.

Rasty
07-04-2013, 14:05
14 liters for a day pack. 50-60 liters for backpacking year round.

johnnybgood
07-04-2013, 14:36
I day hike with a Osprey Talon 33. Also good for minimal overnights without carrying too much stuff or a stove to futz with.

RockDoc
07-04-2013, 15:02
Whatever you do, do not believe retailer salespeople at REI or elsewhere, because they will urge you to buy a pack that is far too big so that you'll have to fill it up with more purchases from their store.

I met more than one thruhiker who carried an 80 liter pack, said that a sales person (claimed to be a thru-hiker) told him it was what he needed. Liars.

Do the volume calculation as described above, maybe add a slight amount (10%) for leeway; you don't have to always use it.

moytoy
07-04-2013, 16:44
I'm guessing you meant 3000 cu. inch, which is equal to 60 LTS. Hard to imagine going on a 5 day hike using a 30 cu. inch pack :)
yes I did...actually 50 liters is 3050 cu inches which is what my Jam is.

shakey_snake
07-04-2013, 18:39
Get a newspaper boy's bag, pack it with 30 snickers and some slim jims and throw out whatever else doesn't fit.

That should be enough to get you through the 100-Mile Wilderness.

bobp
07-04-2013, 21:00
Get a newspaper boy's bag, pack it with 30 snickers and some slim jims and throw out whatever else doesn't fit.

That should be enough to get you through the 100-Mile Wilderness.

Ah... Wasn't that the Katz plan?

kidchill
07-05-2013, 17:57
I would seriously assemble your gear and calculate the volume. Volume is an easy calculation, height x width x depth. You can always do this in inches or centimeters and use the internet to convert. Measure first, then account for weight (so it's not too heavy a load for your pack). Also, if you have a newer iphone with Siri, she's awesome at conversions. For example, how many CC's is X-cubic inches. Honestly, that's the ONLY damn thing Siri gets right for me!

Ironbelly
07-05-2013, 18:02
1L=61ci not 55

hikerboy57
07-05-2013, 20:17
i use an osprey talon 22. good enough for a summer overnight, small enough for day hikes.i use a 50L for sections,65L for winter sections