PDA

View Full Version : Scented trash compactor bags

Onedawg
07-04-2013, 08:11
I've spent the last few days hiking in SNP, in what seem like constant rain. I used a trash compactor bag to line my pack. When I stopped at one of the huts, another hiker pointed out that the scented trash compactor bag could attract bears. Does this sound like a legit concern?

kayak karl
07-04-2013, 08:22
it is definitely the scented bag, not the food that was or is in it :rolleyes:

Onedawg
07-04-2013, 09:08
To provide a little more info, I keep my food in a separate dry bag. Everything else that I want to keep dry goes in the trash compactor bag.

In four days, I didn't actually see any bears. The closest I got was when I walked up on a shelter and the people there excitedly asked "did you see the bears?" They told me that there were 4 on the trail just moments before I arrived.

Wise Old Owl
07-04-2013, 09:15
Unless there is a study or legitimate science - we have enough to worry about it.. my thought here is "NO" to the question.

This may be partially based on a study where bears later investigated the smell of a spot where bear spray had been used after it drifted in Alaska.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-93335.html

Water Rat
07-04-2013, 10:35
I think you would have more concerns about scented bags attracting other unwanted pests (out of curiosity). If you are worried about the scented bags, maybe try hanging the bag outside for a few days. That should weaken the scent.

Onedawg
07-04-2013, 10:50
Actually, I don't mind the scent. It smell better than me, my pack, and most of my hiking companions. :D

Water Rat
07-04-2013, 10:51
Actually, I don't mind the scent. It smell better than me, my pack, and most of my hiking companions. :D

Good point! :D

david_1
07-06-2013, 08:09
helium balloons are different than ordinary balloons because helium is smaller and gets out of the gaps in the balloon material of a normal balloon. maybe this could explain how bears can still smell stuff wrapped in plastic. ?

Wise Old Owl
07-06-2013, 09:15
also explains why steak in a glad or knock off bag will still freezer burn.

Rasty
07-06-2013, 15:50
Bears can detect the trace residue on the outside of a can of Saurkraut and will move that can aside because they don't like kraut. I don't think scented or unsented plastic bags are going to fool them.

Onedawg
07-06-2013, 16:20
Bears can detect the trace residue on the outside of a can of Saurkraut and will move that can aside because they don't like kraut. I don't think scented or unsented plastic bags are going to fool them.

Are you saying that they won't be fooled into thinking the scent itself is some type of food? Because that's my thought. I don't think a bear is going to mistake a scented compactor bag for something edible.

Rasty
07-06-2013, 16:44

Are you saying that they won't be fooled into thinking the scent itself is some type of food? Because that's my thought. I don't think a bear is going to mistake a scented compactor bag for something edible.

I don't think trying to hide food odors works with bears. They have a better sense of smell then a dog.

Onedawg
07-06-2013, 20:34
No one was suggesting that the bag will hide food odors, the implication was that the bear would think that the bag is food because of the scent. No actual food involved. No food being carried in the bag. No food scent whatsoever. Just the compactor bag. Would a scented compactor bag attract bears? The bag kind of smells like a Glade air freshener. So I guess another way to put it would be, would a Glade air freshener attract bears?

kayak karl
07-06-2013, 20:46
i doubt the bag will attract bears, but you say there will be no food near it. not carrying any food? you don't need to smear your gear with peanut butter for it to smell like food.

Onedawg
07-06-2013, 21:13
I agree. I don't think the scent will attract bears either, at least it never has for me before. If the smell of Glade attracted bears then the RVs up and down the parkway would really be in trouble. :)

rocketsocks
07-06-2013, 21:34
Is this a joke, o'coarse any scented anything will attract bears... It's a no brainer.

and I was always under the impression that bears do show up... Up and down the parkway, No?

rocketsocks
07-06-2013, 21:40
I should also add, it wouldn't keep me from usin it though, I think your hiker funk would offset the bears curiosity, so I wouldn't expect it to walk up to your pack while your in it. If it's all I had to use.... I'd use it, though it wouldn't be my first choice.

jeffmeh
07-07-2013, 10:23
Personally, I have found the scent of the bags almost as offensive as hiker funk. I have the same reaction to those who overdo the cologne or perfume.