PDA

View Full Version : Maine?

Roaring Plains
07-04-2013, 08:23
Hi everybody,

My wife and I are moving from WV to New England in the coming months, for new job opportunities. We're planning some big Maine trips for next summer -- I visited Acadia & Moosehead briefly years ago and have always wanted to explore the state in more depth.

What hikes do you recommend in Maine? Any particular stretches of trail we shouldn't miss? It can be AT, non-AT, whatever. Thanks.

PS....Not much of the AT runs through my home state of West Virginia, but if you go further west, we have some great hiking in the Monongahela Nat'l Forest. Check it out if you haven't been yet. Dolly Sods Wilderness is probably the best known, and deservedly so, for its awesome scenery and various loops, but there are lots of other good spots: Cranberry Wilderness (hang your food, though, it's a bear sanctuary and they have no fear), Canaan Mtn Back Country, Seneca Creek Back Country, etc.

illabelle
07-04-2013, 08:36
I can't answer your maine question, but :welcome to WhiteBlaze, Roaring Plains. People on here are generally very helpful, and some of us :rolleyes: are even knowledgeable. Hang around, and you'll see!

BirdBrain
07-04-2013, 08:47
Go to Acadia. Trust me on this. There are weeks of steady hiking on that small island with tons of breath taking views. I like Penobscot and Sargeant best.

Meriadoc
07-04-2013, 09:30
Lucky ducks! Welcome to White Blaze Roaring Plains!

I too am moving to Maine with a friend in a couple weeks. But she and I are moving there because we want to live there :). Still working on the job part.

I'm interested to see what other trail suggestions folks have since I only know the AT.
I'll add two from the AT:
(1) Gorham NH to Grafton Notch. An easy one to recommend really, as it has the famous Mahoosuc Notch which is oh so much fun rock scrambling. And Goose Eye Mountain rocks with great rock slabs, fresh pines, and wonderful views. Bog bridges atop a mountain are always amazing too! Just don't try to walk through that mud - it's deep!
(2) Abol Bridge to Jo-Mary Rd in the Hundred Mile Wilderness. I recommend the whole 100 miles (really ~90) but this northern 40 mile section has some of the absolute best scenery and campsites. Antlers Campsite is spectacular. Arrive early enough to grab a spot on the peninsula. Listen for loons and watch for moose.

Water Rat
07-04-2013, 09:39
I second Acadia... Precipice is an awesome trail within Acadia.

Roaring Plains
07-04-2013, 12:37
Thanks for the welcome! I will add these to my list. (I've also been told there are some good options for loop hikes in Baxter State Park.) I would LOVE to do the 100 Mile Wilderness, but unfortunately, I have a nagging knee injury that keeps me from doing longer jaunts. Through trial and error, I've found that I can only backpack 7-8 miles a day (on a strenuous trail), and a bit more on easy stuff, before the pain sets in. I can handle about three days straight of backpacking at that pace, but after that, I need a break, unfortunately. So it is not in the cards for me. I used to do longer trips on the AT in Virginia, when I was in college, but that was pre-injury. In fact, I try not to backpack (with heavy weight) more than once a month....plus I fly-fish a lot, so wading on slippery rocks has not helped me, but I just can't quit. I'll keep muddling along in my fashion. When we go to Maine, we'll probably throw the canoe or kayaks on the truck, so we can bust up the backpacking with other activities, so I can give me knees a rest.

peakbagger
07-04-2013, 19:31
You may want to consider Maine Huts and Trails in the Sugarloaf area. These are not on the AT but near it. The At goes over the mountains while MHT goes around them. Each "hut" is high end with meals and showers spaced a day apart. They are nicer than the AMC hut system and a bit less expensive. They have one hut on Flagstaff lake which is a good paddling destination.

Maine has a lot of remote undeveloped lakes and ponds. Some classic paddles are the Moose River Bow Trip and the allagash river.

Pick up a Delorme Atlas to Maine. There are a couple of sections on wild and natural areas all around the state and the areas are marked on the maps. Major hiking trails are also shown. They are far more reliable than a car navigations system as Car Navs don't deal well with private roads. AMC also publishes a Maine Mountain guide that has maps or many of the popular areas plus descriptions to many other hikes.

You do need to adjust your weather planning. Late September and early October is nice hiking but overnight it can get cold. If you want to stay up in Northern New England, you will need to acquire a taste for winter sports and winter weather, otherwise most folks make it through Christmas and are ready to head south by January

WILLIAM HAYES
07-05-2013, 01:24
100 mile wilderness starting in monson great section

WILLIAM HAYES
07-05-2013, 01:27
100 mile wilderness starting in monson great section see my gallery for some pixs
hillbilly

Old Hillwalker
07-05-2013, 05:43
Here you go. All you need to start. http://www.mainetrailfinder.com/

Water Rat
07-05-2013, 06:41
You will also have New Hampshire right next door. Depending on where you end up living in Maine, it's not that far away! There are way too many things (hiking, camping, backpacking, canoeing/kayaking, and then you have stuff you can do out on the ocean) to do in Maine and New Hampshire. Way too distracting when you have to work! :D It is really hard to narrow things down to just a few trails. When you get here you will see what I mean.

Happy hiking!

winland
07-05-2013, 09:37
Any advice on "when" in addition to "where"? Planning a New England trip for next year ... What are the best/worst times in terms of weather, bugs, facilities, etc.? Thanks

Old Hillwalker
07-05-2013, 10:45
Septober is the best!

Roaring Plains
07-05-2013, 11:28
We're actually moving to Cape Cod (excited for kayaking, clamming, and striper fishing!), not Maine, but the Maine trip is to give us a much-needed mountain fix. I need to walk on a grade occasionally to get my mind right.

You're right, I shouldn't overlook NH and Vermont, they're just as close, but Maine is the only one I have a passing familiarity with. The others are terra incognita. My wife used to hike the Adirondacks a lot, but the uncrowded trails of WV have spoiled her!

MyName1sMud
07-05-2013, 11:37
I'd really like to move to Maine.

Or VT and work for Darn Tough. :)

peakbagger
07-06-2013, 05:51
There are meetup groups that are based out of Mass that are up in the whites every weekend. To get to the interesting stuff in Maine generally is too far for weekend warriors from Mass. Most Mass folks consider the northern Presidentials in NH about as far as they go north. Then again with the perpetual traffic jam around the Cape during the summer you wont be going very far until September.

DavidNH
07-06-2013, 07:24
Congratulations on moving to Maine!

You must not miss the Bigelows!

You must not miss Baxter State Park. Wait till you've been in Maine a year.. you will be able to visit the park for free.

Duff
07-06-2013, 08:44
Gulf Hagas loop.