PDA

View Full Version : Hazel Mountain Trail

bailyrosco
07-27-2005, 12:10
Has anyone been on the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place><st1:PlaceName>Hazel</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceName>Mountain</st1:PlaceName></st1:place> trail out of Luray lately? I was wanting to a day hike there. I don't live far from there so I guess I could just go check out. Is it as scenic as they say? Rate the difficulty 1-10 so I can decide to ask my wife to go along. Any additional info would be helpful. Thanks<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

jlb2012
07-27-2005, 13:19
Has anyone been on the Hazel Mountain trail out of Luray lately? I was wanting to a day hike there. I don't live far from there so I guess I could just go check out. Is it as scenic as they say? Rate the difficulty 1-10 so I can decide to ask my wife to go along. Any additional info would be helpful. Thanks

Is this the trail you are talking about : map link (http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=17&n=4279316&e=734874&s=50&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25) ? The "fire road" I marked is what I think is the Hazel Mtn. Tr.

If so I have been on it a few times but it has been at least three years since then. As I recall it was not difficult so I would probably rate it about a 3.

Note the last part of that fire road shown on the map going up to the summit of Hot Mtn. is no longer maintained.

Mountain Hippie
07-28-2005, 02:18
If it is the one that HOI refers to then I did part of the trail last week. I can vouch that the section down to the Hazel River trail is fairly easy. The trail is well marked and has been maintained recently. It is in the middle of an old fire road.There are sections that the vegetation has grown up enough that the trail seems to have walls of vegetation on both sides but it is a good three foot away from either side of the trail. It just limits the views. About a mile down after breaking out of some of this vegetation I ran upon 5 bears, two sows and three cubs. One of the sows was a little grouchy, so our "conversation" was brief, but we agreed that the HYOH philosophy applied and all ended well.
I did not go all the way up the Hazel mountain trail. I did the Hazel mountain trail to the White rocks trail. I took that down to the Hazel river trail and then took the river trail back to the mountain trail. From there I headed over to Hannahs run via the Catlett mountain trail.
All the trails I have mentioned (not including hannahs run)are no more than a 4 ,at worst, on a scale of 1 to 10. The white rocks trail has one reasonably steep part near where it crosses Hazel run. Other than that there are not any really hard parts. As far as scenery, hazel mountain trail was limited. There were some nice views on white rocks and a nice fall on a short spur trail(marked by concrete pillar) off of white rocks. The trail down to the falls was steep and somewhat difficult. But keep in mind that I had a pack loaded with four days of gear and food.
If you finish the Hazel mountain trail and still have the time and energy you can walk 30 yards south and across the drive and take the meadow spring trail over to the AT. From there you can head south to the pinacle(sp) or north to marys rock. There are nice views along this route and the hiking is easy on the AT.The meadow run trail is a little steep but is also very short.
The drive to the trail head should take you about a hour and 5 minutes. I live in Bumpass and that is about how long it takes me if I go thru Culpepper. I hit Skyline drive at panaroma and head south. The parking area has a sign that says meadow spring something or other. If you include the overlooks I believe it is the third left after Marys tunnel.
If you have any other questions let me know but I will not be online for a few days. I will be leaving early this morning for SNP and will not be back before Sunday at the earliest. If you go I hope you enjoy your hike. :)

bailyrosco
07-28-2005, 10:59
Thanks for the replies: Mountain Hippie we are neighbors. I live in Mineral on the lake. Thanks for the info.