PDA

View Full Version : what are your thoughts Seek the Peak (Fund Raiser for Mount Washington Observatory)

DavidNH
07-06-2013, 07:36
The Mount Washington Observatory has been running "Seek the Peak" for some 12+ years now (seekthepeak.org). It raises money, lots of money, for the observatory so they can do their meteorological research.

I'd done the event twice (2009 and 2010) but don't want to do it again.

in 2009 and 2010 there was a fundraising minimum of 100 $ (very reasonable). You got a goodie bag of prizes and a big free dinner at the end at the base of the auto road. There were near 400 people climbing the mtn in 09. That climbed to 500 or so in 2010.

Now who knows how many are going to climb (the place will be a zoo) and the fundraiser minimum has been raised to 200 dollars per participant.

Is there any limit to how much money the Observatory needs to suck in? these guys are almost as bad as the nature conservancy! I do appreciate that the nature conservancy protects lots of land.. but they've got a TON of money yet always want more. But back to the Observatory...

I'm starting to think that the Mount Washington Observatory is a greedy organization sucking up as much money as possible. And as for seek the peak.. it's inclusivity was part of what I liked about it. Now with a higher fund raising bar it's less inclusive and they don't offer participants access to the van to do down. you hike rain or shine and have to on your own as well.

So what do you think? still a worthy cause? or could the MWO be getting to be every bit as greedy as the AMC? (remember.. the Appalachian Money Club?.. where non members are charged nearly 150$ per night--on Saturdays.. otherwise it's about 120--- for lodging and food and you have to hike several hours to get there?)

David

mak1277
07-06-2013, 10:54
Do you want it to be more inclusive, or less of a zoo?

And to answer the question of "is there any limit to how much money the Observatory needs to suck in?" I'm sure the organization would say "no".

hikerboy57
07-06-2013, 10:56
to me this is a simple concept. dont participate in causes you dont support.

Old Hiker
07-06-2013, 11:00
What research? Where are the results published? Where are the financial documents? What charity is this? Is this a charity?

bobp
07-06-2013, 11:20
What research? Where are the results published? Where are the financial documents? What charity is this? Is this a charity?

Ever heard of Google? www.mountwashington.org. You may not care for the answers or for the mission, but the information is there.

Slo-go'en
07-06-2013, 14:36
No doubt it costs a lot of money to maintain and staff the obs. With the feds cutting funding and grants for all kinds of stuff, they probably have to start relying on other souces of income to a greater degree these days...

Old Hiker
07-06-2013, 15:00
Ever heard of Google? www.mountwashington.org (http://www.mountwashington.org). You may not care for the answers or for the mission, but the information is there.

Why, thank you, Mrs. Cleaver. I never, EVER would have thought of using a search engine that stores all my data and passes it to the
Feds. Thanks SO much for the helpful help.

Thought someone with an association would be quicker with a response.

BradMT
07-07-2013, 18:08
I seriously doubt the Mt. Washington observatory is doing much in way of meaningful research anymore... it's an enormous eyesore and tourist trap that I avoided at all costs when I backpacked the Whites over many years.

However, I'd be happy to donate to an organization which would tear down the observatory and remove the cog railway...

rickb
07-07-2013, 18:39

Guidestar.org is good resource when considering how to split up you charitable contrubutions.

http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocuments/2012/020/225/2012-020225135-0909015c-9.pdf

Tuckahoe
07-07-2013, 19:13
The Mount Washington Observatory has been running "Seek the Peak" for some 12+ years now (seekthepeak.org). It raises money, lots of money, for the observatory so they can do their meteorological research.

I'd done the event twice (2009 and 2010) but don't want to do it again.

in 2009 and 2010 there was a fundraising minimum of 100 $ (very reasonable). You got a goodie bag of prizes and a big free dinner at the end at the base of the auto road. There were near 400 people climbing the mtn in 09. That climbed to 500 or so in 2010.

Now who knows how many are going to climb (the place will be a zoo) and the fundraiser minimum has been raised to 200 dollars per participant.

Is there any limit to how much money the Observatory needs to suck in? these guys are almost as bad as the nature conservancy! I do appreciate that the nature conservancy protects lots of land.. but they've got a TON of money yet always want more. But back to the Observatory...

I'm starting to think that the Mount Washington Observatory is a greedy organization sucking up as much money as possible. And as for seek the peak.. it's inclusivity was part of what I liked about it. Now with a higher fund raising bar it's less inclusive and they don't offer participants access to the van to do down. you hike rain or shine and have to on your own as well.

So what do you think? still a worthy cause? or could the MWO be getting to be every bit as greedy as the AMC? (remember.. the Appalachian Money Club?.. where non members are charged nearly 150$ per night--on Saturdays.. otherwise it's about 120--- for lodging and food and you have to hike several hours to get there?)

David

Seems like from you description the event is important to the Observatory, but I can not grasp how anyone thinks that it brings in a ton of money. If they are hosting 500 people at $200, thats $100,000 max before expenses. The reality is that for such organizations fund raising is a constant activity especially in light of the fact that admissions, gift shop and concessions revenue do not always cover all organizational expenses.

wnderer
07-07-2013, 19:35
I don't think you've read the thing properly. Sponsorship doesn't seem to be required. It's $20.00 to go to the party.

http://www.seekthepeak.org/tickets.php

In the pdf it says $200.00 to $1000.00 gets you 10'x10' booth space at the after party expo.

wnderer
07-07-2013, 19:39
Okay. I found what your talking about.

What You Need to Know

You may register as an individual or as a member of a team (up to 8 people), but you as an individual must raise the $200 fundraising minimum in order to receive a t-shirt, any applicable fundraising incentives, and entry into the prize pool and after party.
There are 500 goodie bags, and they will go to the first 500 participants to meet the $200 fundraising minimum. Don't procrastinate and miss out!
The more money you raise, the more incentives you'll earn and the more prizes you'll be entered to win at the after party! However, we determine incentive and prize eligibility on Friday, July 19, so any donations you collect offline (aka cash or checks) must be received by us by Friday, July 19. See the Hiker Resources page for our mailing address. Don't wait until Seek the Peak Saturday to turn in your donations—you could miss out!

hikerboy57
07-07-2013, 19:41
seems like the event has become more popular over there past few year, and if people are willing to pay the price, why would a fundraiser try to limit how much money it can raise?isnt that the point? to raise as much money as possible?
why do all these people want to shell out the money? maybe they dont feel the same way you do.funny about america. you're allowed to spend money on the things you want to, and outside of taxes, you're allowed to withhold that money from causes you dont support.

Lone Wolf
07-07-2013, 19:45
they record wind. whoopee doo! next!

rickb
07-07-2013, 20:13

I'm pretty sure they have a thermometer, too.

hikerboy57
07-07-2013, 20:15

I'm pretty sure they have a thermometer, too. wouldn't have been able to do it without the fundraisers

Rasty
07-07-2013, 20:23

I'm pretty sure they have a thermometer, too. wouldn't have been able to do it without the fundraisers

I can loan them a thermometer.

rickb
07-07-2013, 20:24
I sort of like the videos of the observers tossing boiling water into the air outside the observatory.

Lone Wolf
07-07-2013, 20:27
wouldn't have been able to do it without the fundraisers

oh bull!.......

hikerboy57
07-07-2013, 20:28
I sort of like the videos of the observers tossing boiling water into the air outside the observatory. yes there is some merit in the work that they do

Lone Wolf
07-07-2013, 20:33
it's in a NH state park. the state should fund it

rickb
07-07-2013, 20:40
it's in a NH state park. the state should fund it

The state should fund a million dollars worth of annual salaries?

You have got to be kidding.

Lone Wolf
07-07-2013, 20:41
The state should fund a million dollars worth of annual salaries?

You have got to be kidding.
is that what those "scientists" make? shut the thing down

hikerboy57
07-07-2013, 21:01
but what about the boiling water thing?who's gonna do it if they shut the observatory down?

Rasty
07-07-2013, 21:02
but what about the boiling water thing?who's gonna do it if they shut the observatory down?

I'll do it for 20% less

rocketsocks
07-07-2013, 21:10
the volunteer cooks that come up to live with and feed them.

hikerboy57
07-07-2013, 21:14
the volunteer cooks that come up to live with and feed them.
fighting the good fight.
i couldnt donate to them anyway. all my moneys tied up in change

imscotty
07-08-2013, 07:37
I also have had misgivings about donating to a place that is part tourist attraction and part research center. While the crowds and development at the summit of Mount Washington are not my cup of tea, I appreciate that for some people it will be the only way they ever experience the beauty above timberline. I also hope that some of these tourists will bring their business and money to the old Mill towns north of the Auto Road.

A large part of the Observatories mission is education and they do seem to provide a great experience for local school groups and teachers. An overnight at the Observatory will hopefully inspire in them a life-long interest in weather, climate and the environment. I sent in my donation this year.

Jack Tarlin
07-08-2013, 15:28
I think that the best way to deal with a charitable event that you're not interested in is to simply not participate in it; likewise, if there's a business, lodging place, whatever, whose policies and prices you disagree with, you always have the option of spending your time and money elsewhere.