PDA

View Full Version : Clark VS. Hennesey

Buckingham
07-27-2005, 12:52
Which is the better hammock, Clark or Hennesey?

tlbj6142
07-27-2005, 13:39
I own a HH, but honently think the Speer-like hammocks are a better choice (it offers more setups than the HH and Clark(?)). Though I often wonder how folks hang their Speer as it doesn't have a the center line like the HH that allows you to pull the tree connections tight. Got it?

I know very little about the Clark. I have looked a few pics, but that's about it.

Kerosene
07-27-2005, 15:20
Hikerhead, a frequent participant on this forum, swears by his Clark and seems to sleep warmer than I in my HH. The Clark has pockets underneath the sleeper that you can fill with clothes or other "insulation" and the pad naturally tends to envelope the sleeper. Plus, it's a whole lot easier to get in and out of with side entry. The HH provides a flatter sleeping surface with more leg and arm room and better airflow (I think), in a significantly lighter overall package.

Just Jeff
07-27-2005, 15:49
I voted other because my homemade Speer-type is the most comfortable I've slept in.

I guess it depends on "better for what" though. I'd take the HH in a second for tropical, buggy areas. I like my Speer-type for colder-weather, and it's more comfortable. Some folks say it's better for the AT than a HH...probably true for parts of it, at least.

FWIW, adding a ridgeline to a Speer is as easy as tying two knots. I put one on mine. Ed doesn't put them on the ones he sells because Tom H. has patented it, but that doesn't mean you can't do it yourself after you buy it.

Hikerhead
07-27-2005, 17:43
Hikerhead, a frequent participant on this forum, swears by his Clark and seems to sleep warmer than I in my HH. The Clark has pockets underneath the sleeper that you can fill with clothes or other "insulation" and the pad naturally tends to envelope the sleeper. Plus, it's a whole lot easier to get in and out of with side entry. The HH provides a flatter sleeping surface with more leg and arm room and better airflow (I think), in a significantly lighter overall package.

The Clark has better airflow because it allows the bug screen to be partially zipped open or completely rolled off depending on your needs.

I agree with everything else.

And the Clark is somewhat more expensive than the HH.

But, you'll stay warmer and drier in a Clark.

I also added a ridgeline to mine that runs thru a mesh bag that I keep my flashlight and radio in. Keeps me from having to open 2 sets of zippers to get to the pockets underneath.

neo
07-27-2005, 18:44
i love my hennessey hammock
my wife loves her hennessey hammock
my 2 sons love thier hennessey hammocks:cool: neo

SGT Rock
07-27-2005, 18:56
Here is a link to a very good comparison :p

http://www.hikinghq.net/gear/clark_hammock.html

The format of the page is jacked up a bit, but that shouldn't stop you.

tlbj6142
07-27-2005, 22:40
FWIW, adding a ridgeline to a Speer is as easy as tying two knots. I put one on mine. Ed doesn't put them on the ones he sells because Tom H. has patented it, but that doesn't mean you can't do it yourself after you buy it.True, but many don't. How do they setup their hammocks?

Just Jeff
07-28-2005, 00:43
I guess they just get good at eyeballing it. I find that I can tie the hammock to the tree at a lower level with the ridgeline on...helps with finding suitable sites sometimes. Not to mention that it's effortless to keep the right amount of sag.

tlbj6142
07-28-2005, 10:33
I must not be expressing my concern correctly. How can you tie off your hammock to trees when there isn't any tension on the line? Seems like it would be difficult to make a tight and secure knot.

Whereas with the ridgeline setup, you are able to pull against the ridgeline when securing the tie-outs to the tree.

Youngblood
07-28-2005, 10:45
I must not be expressing my concern correctly. How can you tie off your hammock to trees when there isn't any tension on the line? Seems like it would be difficult to make a tight and secure knot.

Whereas with the ridgeline setup, you are able to pull against the ridgeline when securing the tie-outs to the tree.
Not a problem, you just have to use the right knot for the job.

tlbj6142
07-28-2005, 10:55
OK. So, what sort of knot do folks use to tie up their Speer hammocks?

Youngblood
07-28-2005, 11:07
OK. So, what sort of knot do folks use to tie up their Speer hammocks?My hammock is a home made one and I use hollow braid polyproplyene rope instead of webbing like the standard Speer uses. I use Clark's slippery bowline (about 3 PAGE DOWN strokes on this site http://www.junglehammock.com/tips.php ). Speer uses a multi wrap knot on small trees that I don't have a link to, but the slippery bowline will work with it also. The multi wrap knot can be tied with a taut line, or not... but it probably is a little easier with a taut line.

Just Jeff
07-28-2005, 11:31
I use one like the "modified 4 wrap" on www.imrisk.com (http://www.imrisk.com)

With the webbing, you can just wrap it around a rough-bark tree a few times and it'll stay. With the smoother barks, you need to go back and forth like in the link above.

Youngblood
07-28-2005, 11:50
Yeah, this link http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/speerknot.htm . Anyway it is a multi wrap knot and there are several variances in how you finish it off. You can also take the last wrap back under and between all the wraps and the tree, and finish that off with a slippery bowline if you don't want the knot to constrict (or cinch up on the tree). In my view, how you finish it off is secondary to the multi wrap feature as the multi wrap feature makes this an "ultra tree friendly knot", whether you use webbing or rope, because you are speading out the force on the tree.

neo
07-28-2005, 22:30
i use the figure 8 knot the tom hennesey showed me at trail days 2002
on my hammock and line for tieing tarp to trees also:cool: neo

Ramble~On
07-31-2005, 06:27
Which is better ?
Neither. Both are good. Both have advantages over each other.
The person who designs and markets a cross between the two is going to make some money.:-?

SGT Rock
07-31-2005, 10:17
Which is better ?
Neither. Both are good. Both have advantages over each other.
The person who designs and markets a cross between the two is going to make some money.:-?If you read my review where I do the recommendations, I think you could easily modify the Hennessy to do the best of both worlds stuff. A bigger tarp and add some side pockets on the inside at the pull out points.

Actually, as I sit here thinking about it, the Speer could probably be modified even easier, sew a few mesh pockets on the bottom. But if I were doing a Speer Hammock, I would probably add a ridge-line mod like Youngblood does and some side tie outs like the Hennessy has.

Personally I found that using the bottom pockets for insulation, while a novel idea, not very practical because they do not cover enough area to truly be effective. Also I don't bring enough extra clothing usually to make it work - and leaves are often wet in the temps I need the extra insulation, so using them seemed like a bad idea.

Youngblood
07-31-2005, 11:50
Sarge, that wasn't me with a ridgeline... maybe Just Jeff?

But the point is, not everyone would agree on what is the best features for a backpacking hammock. I think we would all agree that the features would be somewhat different for different conditions... temperature, rain, buggy, etc.

Youngblood

titanium_hiker
07-31-2005, 15:10
home made speer! yeah!!!

Buckingham
08-19-2005, 17:05
Now that I have my Hennessy, my question has been answered. I love this thing!

:jump

Rough
08-19-2005, 17:29
I backpack in Vermont in the summer and this past winter chose a Clark "Tropical" after looking at both Clark and Hennessey. Have been very happy this summer using it during both rainy and dry conditions, and both warm and cool (low fifties). I liked the four pockets underneath the Clark, the neat "pistol pockets" inside the hammock for glasses and headlamp, being able to sit in it from either side, the no-seeum bug net, the optional Weathershield for warmth and a wind break (can zip on either or both sides while in the hammock), the weight (3 lbs. 2 oz. w/Weathershield), the simplicity of setup (2 ropes plus 2 strings to hold up the bug net plus optionally 4 more strings to guy out the rain fly to either vegetation or hiking poles. Plus it all folds nicely into a little bag attached inside one of the pockets - the bag closes with a velcro strap and has a handle strap - goes right into my pack above my sleeping bag. You do need a sleep mat for insulation. And I can sleep on my back or on my side (not on my stomach comfortably) and it has never come close to tipping.

For me the main tie-breakers were the side entry and the pockets.

Photo is attached.

Happy hanging,
Rough

neo
08-19-2005, 23:31
this here is what i use:cool: neo

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/7105/sort/1/cat/500/page/

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/7889/sort/1/cat/500/page/3

titanium_hiker
08-20-2005, 11:09
rock- I've noticed on your site that you havent tried a speer yet- sigh. :)

I use webbing for my speer type- I use risk's modified speer wrap knot (jeff posted the link) and then, when my hammock's in it's tubes, I use the webbing to compress it down.

titanium

Buckingham
08-20-2005, 15:33
That's a great pic of your Clark, Rough. That thing does look pretty sweet.

Neo, is that a Hennessy in your last link?

Buckingham
08-20-2005, 15:35
Like an idiot I asked that last question before I looked at the second photo, sorry.:datz

Seeker
08-21-2005, 01:13
i like the side pullouts in my HH. makes it seem bigger inside somehow... made my daughter a homemade one, based on Risk's model. it hugs too tight... might be nice in colder weather, or maybe i just made it too deep... i like the bottom entry and almost automatic bug net (needed here). don't have to think about sealing myself off from bugs. ridgeline mesh bag is good for my glasses and a phonton, but that's about all.

i did modify two things though. i had a pocket sewn inside, near my right elbow. holds a water bottle and a paperback book. and i sewed two small triangles of silnylon to the underside of the outside corners of the tarp, with a small patch of velcro on the edge, to roll up the tieout cords into. oh, and i replaced the thin, tangly black strings with triptease.

SGT Rock
08-21-2005, 08:29
rock- I've noticed on your site that you haven't tried a speer yet- sigh. :)

I use webbing for my speer type- I use risk's modified speer wrap knot (jeff posted the link) and then, when my hammock's in it's tubes, I use the webbing to compress it down.

titanium
I would love to try a Speer, I figure I would like it. I just haven't ever gotten around to it for various reasons.

Patrick
08-26-2005, 16:07
I have a Hennessy. I like the idea of some side pockets on the inside. I was thinking of making an elastic water bottle hanger for the ridge line.

I cut off all of the plastic doodads on the tarp and tied short sections of elastic between it and the cord to take up some of the wet stretching slack. I found that I can quickly coil the cords during take down and use the elastic to cinch them and keep them from unrolling.

I also took off the tarp attachment things on the hammock and put separate cords so I can tie the tarp up without the hammock as many people have suggested. I added 3" or so sections of 550 to catch drip on the strings, too.

I have some Triptease that I got when ordering supplies for a tarp I was about to make before you guys sold me on the hammock thing. For some reason, though (I suspect it might be SGT Rock), I'm all of a sudden way into super-stealth camping. I'm all about the olive drab 550 now instead of Triptease or the orange I used to always use. I just ordered a food bag and packcover and was adamant about them both being green or brown.

My big question. I got out of tents and into tarps as much to feel like I was outside more as anything else. I like to feel like I'm in the woods, not zipped up in nylon. I was worried about that with the hammock, but I still feel nice and outdoors when I'm in it. Maybe it's hanging from the trees or the swinging, but it's good. However, I'd be even happier if I didn't have the netting over me in cooler weather (which is also when the leaves aren't there to block the stars). I'm considering sewing a two-way zipper the length of the netting on top, along the ridge-line. The netting seems loose enough that I'd be okay modifying it and I think it would allow it to be folded down on either side. Anyone try this or have any thoughts as to why it would/wouldn't work? Thanks.

Just Jeff
08-26-2005, 16:44
Check the Yahoo hammockcamping photos section under Brian from Tampa.

Patrick
08-26-2005, 17:29
Good pics, thanks. Little more comlicated than just throwing one along the ridge of the netting but very useful.

Just Jeff
08-26-2005, 19:06
Because of the netting's shape, I'm not sure putting a single zipper along the ridgeline would allow it to roll down to the sides...I think it might tend to "pop up" to its normal position, with only a small opening at the top.

If you made something to hold it down, it might cause the hammock to "close in" on you.

Just brainstorming...only one way to find out!

Patrick
08-26-2005, 19:14
Yeah, I know what you mean. On my Hennessy the netting seems pretty loose, though, which is why I'm thinking I might be able to get away with it. Even if the netting only wanted to roll down half way that might be good enough for me. I'm not sure I'm willing ot endure more complication than that.

Just Jeff
08-26-2005, 19:23
If I hang from something that has some give, like small trees that pull closer when I get in, my ridgeline and netting sag. If I'm anchored to something nice and strong, my ridgeline stays tight.

You might want to check that before you cut your new hammock. Sure makes a difference in how much room I have in mine. Still, it would be nice to be able to remove the bugnet.

Patrick
08-26-2005, 20:39
I'll check that, but I've only set up on pretty big trees and in my house on fixed stuff. It's not something I'm going to do any time soon either way. I've been gearing up for an upcoming trip the last couple weeks and shopping/sewing/modification burnout is starting to set in. I need to save all my energy to make my Ray-Way quilt this week. Thanks again for all of the advice. I'm going to need to put a Just Jeff statue inside my hammock or something.

Bblue
12-02-2005, 23:39
Homemade Speer like hammock. I have used the Clark and like it, but it was too heavy. My homemade is a Speer design with pockets like the Clark. I never tried a Henessey because I like to watch the stars and the Henessey's bug netting can't be opened and I seldom need bug netting anyway.

Ramble~On
12-05-2005, 10:23
I'm a Clark fan.
I like the roominess of the Hennessy as opposed to the "canoe effect" of the Clark but it ends there. I added pockets to accept fiberglass "spreader bars" to my Clark so now I have a lot more room...so in doing that I don't feel the Hennessy has anything on the Clark.
I do not and probably never will like the entry or exit from the Hennessy or the fact that you are either inside or you are out...there is no way to open the mesh.
I like the way the Clark can be "opened" in numerous configurations with weather shield or mesh...I can get in or out in a second..
I like the way I can leave all of my stuff inside the pockets of the Clark and stuff the entire thing into my pack and be hiking in a matter of seconds.
I really like being able to simply "hang out" in the Clark with the mesh and weather shield completely tucked away.
I didn't like the rope that came with the Clark...so I got rid of it and added webbing.
I'm still waiting for somebody to come out with something new that combines the best of both.

titanium_hiker
12-05-2005, 12:46
oooh- I like the pack up and go in seconds....

titanium

Big Dawg
12-05-2005, 12:58
I added pockets to accept fiberglass "spreader bars" to my Clark so now I have a lot more room...

Where did you install the pockets to hold the fiberglass bar?

Auntie Mame
12-05-2005, 18:10
Also, what Clark model do you have? My husband has the American, as he is tall and sturdy, but i can easily use tropic or lite. Any opinions?

Ramble~On
12-06-2005, 08:24

I have a Clark North American. I sewed two heavy nylon pockets into the sides of the hammock just in front of the existing pockets at the head.
At the top I sewed in two more pockets so that two pieces of fiberglass pole can fit into them and spread the hammock out. I have since found that two pieces of fishing rod work just as well and weigh a fraction less.
If you have a Clark than you are familiar with the bungee cords that hold the nylon mesh up and the rain fly attaches to. I do not use the Clark rain fly... I use a seperate, larger tarp... and now I do not need the added bungee cords or cords to tir the mesh or weather shield up. With the addition of the spreader bars the hammock is "balloned" open and the mesh is held taunt and up out of the way...
All told the pockets and poles might have added 8 ounces to the hammock....but since I don't need the cord or bungee cord I guess I broke even weight wise....and now I can sit up in the hammock with room to spare at the head and on either side....
I am going to try to attach some pictures of the pockets, spreader bars and different views showing the hammock spread open...
If they aren't attached to this post....I'll add them to my gallery.

Auntie Mame
12-06-2005, 10:20
That shot in the rocky cavern area is sublime! Thanks for the info.Nice adaptation with the hoop overhead.

Ramble~On
12-07-2005, 04:05
Yeah...that site under the rock overhang was a great one..
If you look closely at the foot of the hammock you'll notice the webbing actually runs into a crack and was held up by a cam and biner.
That picture does not do justice to the height either..I was perched on a little shelf there with a boulder overhang...but it was about 60 feet up the rock from the ground. A friends hammock was higher up and out of site from mine. We decided to camp there because we both had hammocks and you can go places in a hammock that you wouldn't dream about with a tent. :D