PDA

View Full Version : Considering Change of Plans

Paskids
07-06-2013, 18:32
Good afternoon guys,

For the last year I have planned on hiking the Colorado Trail starting August 4th. The West Fork fire has given me second thoughts. It doesn't appear likely that it will let up anytime soon and I don't really want to do detour walk around.

I'll be in Seattle July 20-28th and thought about substituting a part of the PCT for this year and doing the CT next year.

After spending the last year planning logistics for the CT it seems quite asinine to jump to the PCT. That's where I need your help. I need a quick education. I'm thinking of starting at Mount Hood and finishing at Canadian border. What's the weather like; are the trails well marked and should I change up my gear? I think you get it. I'm ready to go but just need to add new trail information.

Thanks for your help

Dogwood
07-06-2013, 18:37
Mt Hood to the Can. Border = GREAT PCT HIKE in LATE LATE JULY. I would try adding in a few more miles south of Mt Hood though. Get the WA/ OR PCT books. You'll get those answers.

Malto
07-06-2013, 18:42
I see no reason not to jump to the PCT. you can print out Halfmiles maps which is the only information source I carried. You can easily resupply along the way if you aren't too picky. Your resupplies will be Cascade locks, whites Pass, Snoqualimie Pass, Skykomish and my favorite, Stehekin. You can add others but that will be a good start. Gear wise, you should be fine as well.

The weather should be good until the end of August when you will typically see increasing rain. You should have no real issues with snow though you will likely have some sections to go through. Have fun, the WA sections are generally very nice.

Dogwood
07-06-2013, 18:49
Mt Hood will hold a box for ya as well but Government Camp at the base of Hood is a possible resupply buy as you go option too. Getting a hitch up to the lodge is easy. That's really a shweet section you're chunking off IMHO of the PCT.

Dogwood
07-06-2013, 18:51
Take the Eagle Crk option too if you like waterfalls. It probably would be the official PCT if the PCT wasn't also a equestrian/hiker multi use trail.

Paskids
07-06-2013, 19:04
Yes sir I like water falls. I live in west Texas. Water is a very welcome site.

Traveling primarily in August, what daytime and night time temperatures should I expect?

I appreciate all the help.

BrianLe
07-07-2013, 11:49
Temps: if I was starting that hike in early August I'd bring a (good quality) 32F rated bag and a (very) lightweight down jacket, but this is a bit hard to advise on --- multiple factors. How fast or slow will you hike 550 or so miles? Your metabolism? Hiking "style" ? Will weather tend to colder or hotter than normal?

You might have great weather but should plan on some wet; the PCT is overall a dry trail, but WA state is renowned in that context for getting people wet and cold. You can certainly get wet in Colorado too (!), but it can be more persistently wet in the PNW. I.e., if you're not weather-lucky, you could find yourself hiking day after day under cloudy skies, with seasonally cool weather, and when it's not drizzling rain, the vegetation never dries out so you stay just wet anyway. You can get good at this sort of hiking and deal with it fine (I live in WA state), but if you're inexperienced and/or unprepared for it, it's no fun and potentially hypothermic, even in August.
OTOH, August is definitely the "good month" for backpacking --- bugs are typically tapering off and the weather is fine. Really, September can be wonderful too, and I had a great early October hike last year of the section from Stevens to Snoqualmie Pass. Met a surprising number of thru-hikers at that time. Seemed pretty late for them to be there to me, but the weather was favorable for them.

Note that you can't legally just walk into Canada. There's no one there to stop you, but legally you're supposed to apply to the Canadian government to do this, well in advance. If you've ever had a DWI, they'll turn you down, btw. Read about permits in general here: http://www.pcta.org/discover-the-trail/permits/

Resupply: I suggest buying food locally in Cascade Locks (or send a box). Ditto at Stablers store. Probably worth sending a food resupply box to White Pass. You can make do with what you can buy at Snoqualmie Pass or send a box at your option. Definitely mail a food resupply box (along with your passport if you don't already have it by then) to Stehekin.

Spend some time looking at resources at http://www.postholer.com --- a lot of PCT prep info there.

Starting out logistics could be an issue. I'm not aware of an easy way to get to Timberline (your desired start point). Perhaps you can get ideas on this from http://www.portlandhikers.org/

wandering_bob
07-08-2013, 15:25
Stablers Store is long since closed; consider Trout Lake as an alternate, although it can be a hard hitch in (but not back). Cascade Locks has a good sized grocery store but little else. If you want freeze-dried food, you'll have to mail it to yourself there.

Dogwood
07-08-2013, 19:30
That is a GREAT PCT section hike you have considered but to the OP did you know the fire CT trail closures have been lifted? At least that's what BearCreek is saying and he lives in Colorado at the CT's southern terminus in Durango and tends to follow CT closures and CT info.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?96551-CT-fire-ban-lifted&p=1498462#post1498462

Dogwood
07-08-2013, 19:32
.... or at least segments 22 and 23.

Root_Down
07-08-2013, 20:53
If your starting off in Seattle, you can take the amtrak to Portland and then the central oregon breeze bus line (http://cobreeze.com/) can get you from Portland to Government Camp.

Mags
07-08-2013, 20:58
Good afternoon guys,

For the last year I have planned on hiking the Colorado Trail starting August 4th. The West Fork fire has given me second thoughts. It doesn't appear likely that it will let up anytime soon and I don't really want to do detour walk around.

As of yesterday, the CT is now open from End to End...

"CT NOW 100% OPEN.!! Recent fire-related closures of CT Segments 21-24 have been lifted. Right now, Saturday July 6, the CT is open end to end. Barring changes, hikers and horseback riders will no longer need to travel the Fire Walk-Around and cyclists can resume using their normal route including La Garita Wilderness detour.

Big thanks to CT volunteer Jerry Brown and Forest Service authorities including Divide District Ranger Tom Malacek who communicated, considered this carefully, and helped make the decision that the CT will be considered a "border trail" just outside the remaining, large West Fork Complex fire closure of the Divide Ranger District of the Rio Grande National Forest.

Hikers need to remember that the fires are still going strong, and this 'CT Open' condition could (and may) change again. Be sure to stay informed and prepared to change your plans if necessary."

Of course, this could change yet again during this crazy fire season....

EDIT: Doh! Did not see Dogwood's post. :o

Paskids
07-09-2013, 00:58
And that's why this morning I booked a United flight August 4th into Denver. Best bet is the fire will not be a factor. And if it is then I will do the detour bearcreek has posted. Thanks guys. I learned enough from you and other sources that the upper PCT will be on my agenda soon. I enjoy all the planning that goes into the trip and it was hard to let go of the CT.

We are driving an RV to Seattle next Thursday and my buddy was freaking out about driving back with two women and a baby without me!

Dogwood
07-09-2013, 01:29
So glad you made a call on where you would hike rather than talking the situation to death. Have a GREAT CT hike Paskids. I expect you will.

BrianLe
07-09-2013, 12:04
Stablers store: rats, looks like you're right, been closed about a year and a half.

NOBOs climb up from the lowest point on the PCT at Cascade locks; it was nice to do that climb with just a couple days of food weight and then resupply at that store.