PDA

View Full Version : New speed record on AT

Nean
07-27-2005, 17:08
Today I visited with Trail Dog aka Andrew and his support man J.B. He eased into the conversation by telling me he was the 1st sobo this year. I guess so! He left Katahdin 41 days ago and hopes to be done in 6. He's been doing about 50mpd lately. The young man is fit -and both of them really nice. All the best TD

Tha Wookie
07-27-2005, 17:22
Good luck TD!!!:clap

rickb
07-27-2005, 17:33
Didn't Steve the ferryman post recently that a NOBO was on the cusp of breaking the record too?

neo
07-27-2005, 18:46
Today I visited with Trail Dog aka Andrew and his support man J.B. He eased into the conversation by telling me he was the 1st sobo this year. I guess so! He left Katahdin 41 days ago and hopes to be done in 6. He's been doing about 50mpd lately. The young man is fit -and both of them really nice. All the best TD
wow,super hiker:cool: neo

Lone Wolf
07-27-2005, 19:51
Cool! Awesome stuff.

peter_pan
07-27-2005, 21:12
Hike On....

Best of luck TD

Pan

Panzer1
07-27-2005, 21:22
I met trail dog back in 2001 at the Pine Grove Furnace state park in PA. He was heading north and trying to beat Peter Palmers record of 48 days and 20 hours. Later I heard that he didn't make it because of some rain up north. Palmer did his hike during a drought year.

Trail Dog had a support crew of 2 guys and a van. One guy always hiked with him, the orher drove.

At one point I took his picture and just as I was taking his picture some dog walked over and stood in right front of him. It was a really funny picture.

Panzer

Lone Wolf
07-27-2005, 21:27
Hey Nean. Was it Andrew Thompson and Jon Basham?

Sly
07-27-2005, 21:27
Lonewolf, is that the same guy that you helped in '98? Didn't he make it as far as VT that year northbound, before injury and/or figured he couldn't make it in time?

Lone Wolf
07-27-2005, 21:29
I think it is. Sounds like it.

Sly
07-27-2005, 21:37
Cool. I wish him the best.

Should he finish it in time, I wonder how long it will be before the next guy comes along and breaks it again?

All one has to do is average 47 miles a day, every day!

Lone Wolf
07-27-2005, 21:47
I spoke with a gentleman this year at T Days. He informed me he was going for 45 days in the near future.

jackiebolen
07-27-2005, 22:14
That's some crazy hiking...50 MPD. I once did 24 and it nearly killed me! Unbelievable.

Tha Wookie
07-27-2005, 23:00
I met trail dog back in 2001 at the Pine Grove Furnace state park in PA. He was heading north and trying to beat Peter Palmers record of 48 days and 20 hours. Later I heard that he didn't make it because of some rain up north. Palmer did his hike during a drought year.

Trail Dog had a support crew of 2 guys and a van. One guy always hiked with him, the orher drove.

At one point I took his picture and just as I was taking his picture some dog walked over and stood in right front of him. It was a really funny picture.

Panzer
Hey, did we meet there? I remember seeing those guys and talking to them, after the half-gallon deal. Andrew is a real nice guy. Also, wasn't Patrick (?, maybe Travis?) with them as the other support guy? He's the one I met on the CT doing Mt. Belden who was trying to get me to go to the M. Masochist race. Maybe this year. Wow, that ultra is just ONE DAY of his routine. Incredible. That requires some disipline....

Whistler
07-27-2005, 23:42
Yeah! This is cool stuff, I've been tracking him for a while. You can find the trip journal at his shoe sponsor's website: http://www.inov-8.com/TrailDogNews.htm

-Mark

Lone Wolf
07-28-2005, 06:48
Well I'll be! They sure kept this quiet. JB was supposed to be out west helping Horton. Hey Wookie. Come run the Mountain Masochist Trail Run. October 15th. I'm training for it now.www.extremeultrarunning.com/mmtrinfo.htm

bailyrosco
07-28-2005, 10:51
I have only section hiked some of the trail. Someone help me out with the math on this. 50 mpd average would'nt that require almost jogging on the easy parts. What time would you start and what time would you stop? Can someone safely hike all night? I am a novice hiker compared to alot of you so enlighten me how someone would be able to do this. Thanks

Krag
07-28-2005, 11:05
I wonder why the Kenyans or natives of Tibet haven't come over and put our speed hikers to shame?

The Solemates
07-28-2005, 11:47
this is really impressive. i cant believe its remained quiet for so long.

ferryman
07-28-2005, 12:14
It was mid May when Andrew and JB pulled into my yard to check out the Kennebec River area and other road crossings in the Maine Woods. Andrew explained his plans on speed hiking the AT to Georgia with support man, JB. I told him I would be on call if he needed assistance across the Kennebec River. The weather was indeed horrific with torrential rain and cold weather, never above 50 degrees in this area in May and early June. Weeks went by, but no sign of the speed hiking team. I asked other hikers if they had seen either of them and still no location reports. The only sign I received that either of them had been through the Kennebec River was a name imprinted on the riverbank sand, a name I could not decipher. I continued to ply for any info hikers had of "Trail Dog" and support crew. Some hikers had spotted him further south of Maine, carrying mostly water, making great progress south to Georgia. Obviously, with all the heavy rain and swollen streams expecially the fords on the Piscataquis and Pleasant Rivers, swimming across the Kennebec River was next on his agenda. It would certainly have been my privilege to assist Andrew across the Kennebec River, however, I can only wish him total success to break the current record held by Pete "Cujo" Palmer. After all, records were meant to be broken. HYOH. Steve "ferryman" Longley

Moon Monster
07-28-2005, 13:57
Is Trail Dog connected in any way to Cave Dog's Dog Team? Or is the trailname just coincidence?

Cave Dog is a speed hiker/speed highpointer and holds the current record for the Long Trail amongst other more logistical custom routes (e.g., Colorado's 14ers).

Lone Wolf
07-28-2005, 14:00
Nope. No connection.

icemanat95
07-28-2005, 14:40
That's some crazy hiking...50 MPD. I once did 24 and it nearly killed me! Unbelievable.

The most I've ever done in a day is 28 miles, without a pack, in 7 hours flat.

The day before that I did 19 or so, again without a pack, but the day before that it was 25 miles with full pack. I pulled several 20+ mile days on the AT. Often a few such days in a row.

Without carrying a pack, your hiking speed goes way up and you don't fatigue as fast. 50 miles is serious though. You've got to be outrageously fit to do that day after day after day for a month and a half.

The Old Fhart
07-28-2005, 15:09
If this Trail Dog is the same one from NH then I met him in 1998. I was camped at the spring 1.3 mile north of Rice Field Shelter near Pearisburg and this is about how the conversation went as I was laying in my tent at about 9pm.

"Hiker, are you awake?"___________________me- "yes"
"Can I ask you a question?"____________________me- you just did"
(pause)
"Can I ask you another question?"______________________me (still snickering)- "sure"
"Could you tell me how far it is to the Groundhog trail"____________________me-"let me check"
"My name is Trail Dog from Derry, NH"_________________me-"right off RT-102?"
(pause)
"Yeh, how did you know?"_______________me-"I'm from NH and know the area well"
"I'm trying to set a new A.T. speed record."________________me- "When did you start?"
"(gives date)"___________________me- then your doing about 42 miles per day, a little off record"
"I hope to pick up the pace north of here"______________me- "It's about 10 miles to the trail you want. Good luck on your hike!

bulldog
07-28-2005, 15:55
I have only section hiked some of the trail. Someone help me out with the math on this. 50 mpd average would'nt that require almost jogging on the easy parts. What time would you start and what time would you stop? Can someone safely hike all night? I am a novice hiker compared to alot of you so enlighten me how someone would be able to do this. Thanks

Incredible fitness is how it is done. Some people also thrive on pain (Squeaky comes to mind) and love to push their bodies to the limit. I hiked a 50 mile day on the PCT in Oregon in about 16 hours and felt fine to do a 30 the next day. My legs at the time were probably in the best condition they've ever been. My motivation for that hike however was a large pizza at a skishack that was open year-round. :jump

The Solemates
07-28-2005, 16:35
with no pack it is certainly conceivable for someone in decent shape to do a 50 mile day. im sure i could. in fact, what impresses me more is people who consistently do 40 mile days with a full pack. the problem arises when 50 mile days are needed day in and day out for long periods of time, pack or no pack. now thats serious.

Lone Wolf
07-28-2005, 16:41
Back in 91, Scott Grierson(Maineak) hiked the AT in just under 56 days. He started at Springer Mtn. 35 lbs. or so overweight and went 50 miles the first day. He walked himself into shape as he headed north. Mind over matter.

Nean
07-29-2005, 00:17
They stopped by to see you in Damascus LW and were sorry to have missed you. They stayed at the Place.... a few days ago. Trail Dog is from NH and this is his 3rd try; looks like the charm.

Lone Wolf
07-29-2005, 00:48
Damn! I was out running Monday and Tuesday north of town on the AT. Musta just missed them. I'll see them at the Mountain Masochist.

Tha Wookie
07-29-2005, 08:01
When do they finish?

Lone Wolf
07-29-2005, 09:22
Looks like today according to his schedule.

Tha Wookie
07-29-2005, 10:08
Looks like today according to his schedule.I just looked at it. The last day is supposed to an 82 mile day.

Say what?

Go Dog!

Nean
07-30-2005, 01:24
I seem to recall JB telling me TDs last day was a short 37 and his biggest day was the day we visited, 55 miles! Fitness yes, focus, incredible. Just as the body must be that much stronger so must the mind, and, as TD pointed out, he couldn't do this without JB. It was cool just to watch some of their routine and how well they worked together. Both those guys were on the same page- and while the record may not last, I'm sure their memories of the summer of 05 will.

BTWLW, they were looking forward to seeing you at the race if not sooner. I'll let them tell you about Horton, had to do with the weather if I'm remembering...

MedicineMan
07-30-2005, 02:56
MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wonder if he would be willing to put his joints up for transplant :)

Nameless
07-30-2005, 06:27
I had the pleasue of meeting TrailDawg while hiking the hundred mile wilderness this spring. It was out last day before hitting Monson, and we had all the large fords to deal with. This spring was extremely wet (i believe 26 strait days of rain) and the fords were extremely high. In our group of six that had accumalted durring the hundred miles two of us were barely over five feet, my mom and me. This made an already hard river crossing nearly impossible. JB was across the river waiting for TrailDawg to pull in, and found our first attemts entertaining. We had one guy wash downstream, luckily able to right himself and get back to shore, having me catch is pack probably 600 feet later. We relized that we couldnt cross the stream with our packs, and JB was a HUGE help with hooking ropes on the other shore, and catching, unhooking, and moving packs after we got there. Without him we would have had a lot more trouble than we did. After the river crossing my mom decided she needed to pull off the trail (she only had a few more miles too her goal, and the river crossings were only getting worse, and she really really doesnt like river crossings) JB gave her a ride back to Monson after he fed TrailDawg lunch. He was a very nice guy and a huge help to our sucess.

The five of us left got the chance to meet TrailDawg later that day (not too much later though) when he passed us when we took a quick stop to eat at a rockslide. What struck me is that our group had mainly been running into NOBOs on the trail, guys who had been hiking for a long time, didnt have a whole lot left, but never seemed to have a second to say hi, but TrailDawg not only said hi but stopped long enough to have a quick conversation with us about a beautiful part of the trail in Virgina. He was possibly the kindest hiker i met my whole time out there, and the only one with a really hard schedual he needed to keep too, but not forgetting to take the time to enjoy the trail with other hikers. I am extremely glad he has made it, both him and JB have worked amazingly hard for this. I wish them luck in everything they do.

Pink
Twinkie

Sly
07-31-2005, 14:28
As I was heading north I saw a guy this past Thursday evening about 7:30 nine miles north of Newfound Gap.

You Trail Dog?

Yeah.

I met you briefly in the Shenadoahs in '98, walking with Lonewolf.

Oh yeah, you're the guy that smoked!

He looked good, was just walking at the time, but a little chilled from the rain earlier that day. His destination for the night was where the Clingman's Dome Rd comes close to the AT, another 14 miles or so.

His plan is to finish on Springer Monday night.

Air Head
07-31-2005, 17:22
Whoa... Go TD.

I have trouble making it through 10 mpd... how'd this guy pull it off???

Then again, I've never hiked before until the 28th, so...

Lone Wolf
07-31-2005, 17:36
How? *** guts and a good crew.

Tha Wookie
08-01-2005, 00:25
Whoa... Go TD.

I have trouble making it through 10 mpd... how'd this guy pull it off???

Then again, I've never hiked before until the 28th, so...
I was going to say you have to have some big balls to do something like that, but then I imagined what 50 miles a day would do to my balls.

GO TD!!

Nean
08-01-2005, 22:18
Today was the day, hope they made it. TD is probably about ready for a zero!;)

Sly
08-01-2005, 23:05
TD is probably about ready for a zero!;)

I guess!

Horton has about 8 more days before he sets the new PCT record. Maybe TD should try for that, with his average MPD he may be able to do sub-60. :rolleyes:

Nean
08-01-2005, 23:45
I asked him about that Sly. He said after this- he is through.....and I'm sure he meant it at the time ;) :) Double up TD, there's still time for a PCTsobo!

Lone Wolf
08-03-2005, 08:39
He may not have the record. The record is 48 days, 20 hrs., 11 min. Yesterday, Trail Dog was 20 miles short of Springer @ 4:00 PM. He had 4 hrs. to get to Springer last night. Did he make it?

Sly
08-03-2005, 12:10
He may not have the record. The record is 48 days, 20 hrs., 11 min. Yesterday, Trail Dog was 20 miles short of Springer @ 4:00 PM. He had 4 hrs. to get to Springer last night. Did he make it?

Looks like he did it!

http://www.inov-8.com/TrailDogNews.htm

Kudos to Trail Dog! :banana

Lone Wolf
08-03-2005, 12:33
The website says day 47 was July 31st.

Tha Wookie
08-03-2005, 12:45
From his site, Andrew did it!

"Shaving more than a day off of the previous record, Andrew completed the 2,174 miles in 47 days 13 hours 31 minutes."

Cheers, Andrew! It's about time!!!:clap

Sly
The website says day 47 was July 31st.

That it does. Not sure how they're figuring it out, hopefully they didn't miss a day. :eek:

That he started at 10:26am on top of Katahdin may have something to do with it.

Whistler
The website says day 47 was July 31st.The 47th set of 24 hours ended around 1030am on Monday. Looks like they finished up 13.5 hours later, right about midnight. Just a hair over 47.5 days. wow.
-Mark

Lone Wolf
08-03-2005, 12:49
My math skills always did suck. Congrats Andy! I helped him on his first attempt when he quit in Vermont.

Sly
08-03-2005, 12:51
Looks like he had to do about 64 miles on the last day! 5AM-Midnight, 19 hours!?

neo
08-03-2005, 12:55
this guy makes me look like a whimp.i do 20 to 25 miles a day,i have done 2 30 mile days,i met a thru hiker named hogwalker at mohican outdoor center in new jersey may 2004 that did 30 to 35 miles a day,he was not trying to break a record,he just liked high mile days:cool: neo

jimmyjob
08-03-2005, 16:38
holy crap...47 days....wow..

Mountain Dew
08-04-2005, 02:15
I hope he rehikes the trail and has more fun next time. Maybe takes a few pictures this time and get to know more people.

OK OK enough of me doing my Lone Wolf pot stirring impression.

What inspires somebody to want to hike the A.T. as fast as possible ? The only reasons i can think of might be that they love a challenge or that they want to hold the record for press. Honest questions here.

Lone Wolf
08-04-2005, 04:47
Andy is an ultramarathoner. Specifically a trail runner. Running the AT is the ultimate ultra.

Youngblood
08-04-2005, 09:41
Dew, years ago when I got into jogging I used to join some of the local races. They were a few every month and I would enter some of them just to add some interest to jogging. I was not good enough to be competitive and new I wouldn't be, but I enjoyed it, ran as fast as I could and would tell people that I ran just to make the real runners look good. If you or I thought we could hike or run the trail in less than 50 days we might give it a try just to see what we were capable of. Even on my thru hike on days when I was feeling my oats, I would sometimes cut loose and see how fast I could put a certain amount of miles behind me... for some reason I don't that anymore, you think it has anything to do with the "Hiker Weight Loss Challenge"?

Youngblood

Ridge
08-05-2005, 22:26
.....an average of 45.7 miles per day. Good article with pictures after setting the record.

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050804/NEWS01/108040048/-1/YOUTH

Nean
08-06-2005, 00:51
Nice article Hikerwife, thanks for sharing. Sorry I hadn't been out to cut the weeds TD, you probably would've done it faster!

wacocelt
08-06-2005, 11:22
Hiking fast or jogging the trail releases a different set of endorphins and becomes addictive. I love my miles...

Good job Trail Dawg!

Lone Wolf
08-26-2005, 12:44
Just read something over at Wingfoot's site. Dan said a guy, Greg Austin, recently called him and said he hiked the AT in 32 days, 7hours, 23 minutes. Said he isn't claiming a record but just wanted to challenge himself. Said his wife and her cousin would meet him daily and take care of his needs. This took place early July - early August. HMMM.

MOWGLI
08-26-2005, 13:11
Just read something over at Wingfoot's site. Dan said a guy, Greg Austin, recently called him and said he hiked the AT in 32 days, 7hours, 23 minutes. Said he isn't claiming a record but just wanted to challenge himself. Said his wife and her cousin would meet him daily and take care of his needs. This took place early July - early August. HMMM.

I donno. It woudn't surprise me if Dan made this up to set the bar so "low" that no one else would try to speed hike the trail to set a "record." Wouldn't someone have run into this guy and reported it on a BBS somewhere? I also think that 68 miles per day for 32 days is unsustainable.

What do you think of my theory LW? I mean, of all people to call, why call the one who person wouldn't embrace this kind of hike in any way?

bearbait2k4
08-26-2005, 13:18
I had the pleasue of meeting TrailDawg while hiking the hundred mile wilderness this spring.

The five of us left got the chance to meet TrailDawg later that day (not too much later though) when he passed us when we took a quick stop to eat at a rockslide. What struck me is that our group had mainly been running into NOBOs on the trail, guys who had been hiking for a long time, didnt have a whole lot left, but never seemed to have a second to say hi, but TrailDawg not only said hi but stopped long enough to have a quick conversation with us about a beautiful part of the trail in Virgina. He was possibly the kindest hiker i met my whole time out there, and the only one with a really hard schedual he needed to keep too, but not forgetting to take the time to enjoy the trail with other hikers.
If you went to the southern terminus and ran into sobos every single day that had maybe 3-4 more days of hiking left before they finish, you'd get the same response that you are getting from these nobos you passed. This person was just starting, and very eager about it. That's almost always something people fail to keep in mind.

Anyway, Good for Trail DOG, and for him finally reaching his goal.

That's amazing.

Lone Wolf
08-26-2005, 13:18
I doubt Wingfoot made it up. I believe someone did call him. 68 miles per day avg. is a bit much. He said he wasn't out to set a record and told no one as he was hiking/running up the trail. Who knows? :-?

Mags
08-26-2005, 13:44
I doubt Wingfoot made it up. I believe someone did call him. 68 miles per day avg. is a bit much. He said he wasn't out to set a record and told no one as he was hiking/running up the trail. Who knows? :-?

I am surprised WF mentioned it. As mentioned, WF is against speed hiking.

Indeed, who knows?

TAMBOURINE
09-10-2005, 05:07
Wow How Awsome That Is Some Def Dedacation Hats Off To Yall:)

Nean
12-26-2005, 22:45
squeaky here to add some fuel to the fire. i could destroy any of the records on the long trails no questions by hiking without a pack. if you want to debate my opion please do but there is no way i would drop below 4mph without a pack and the fact that i have kept up 14 hour days for 8 months i am sure i can keep atleast 16 hour days for 6 weeks. so here are the numbers......A.T. 35-40 days P.C.T. sub 50

not sure if the long trails are my next challenge or the polar regions but they are the times i would do the 2 trails supported!

Sly
12-26-2005, 23:31
squeaky here to add some fuel to the fire. i could destroy any of the records on the long trails no questions by hiking without a pack. if you want to debate my opion please do

Hey Squeaky, 1st of all congratulations on your near completion, but there's one record you may have trouble with, that's the longest time out there.

But you're young, and have lots of years left, so I'm not counting you out! ; )

The Solemates
12-27-2005, 11:15
Hey Squeaky, 1st of all congratulations on your near completion, but there's one record you may have trouble with, that's the longest time out there.

But you're young, and have lots of years left, so I'm not counting you out! ; )

so youre gonna leave us hanging? whats the record?

Sly
12-27-2005, 12:12
LOL.. I'm not sure but Beavis (and Kathy Ireland) took a full year or 366 days to complete a southbound hike in 96/97. About 6 miles per day average.

The Solemates
12-27-2005, 12:24
LOL.. I'm not sure but Beavis (and Kathy Ireland) took a full year or 366 days to complete a southbound hike in 96/97. About 6 miles per day average.

there was an even longer one....there was the spanish(?) couple that did the "thorough hike" with their dog a couple years back. they took nearly 1.5 years i think.

but i was talking about the most hiking on any trails....anyone just start hiking and hike for a couple years without taking a break?

Spirit Walker
12-27-2005, 12:49
Most of the really long distance hikers I've heard about, the ones that walk for several years (i.e. Steve Newman, George Meeghan, Peter Jenkins, Karl Bushby, etc.) take at least a few months off from time to time to work or get married or deal with health issues or visas or simply to enjoy the people at the place they are in. When you are out for years, the destination isn't as important as really enjoying the journey, and an in-depth stay in a town or ranch along the way can become as much a part of the journey as the walk itself.

There are some really interesting world walkers out there. One man has been walking for about 15 years around the world. He has visited almost every country. Karl Bushby is about to begin the trek across the Bering Strait. He got deep into Alaska last winter (year three I think) but spring melt precluded continuing, so he spent the summer in South America with his wife before getting back to the journey.

Burn
12-27-2005, 12:50
crash test dummy takes great pride that he took exactly 1 year to the day

Nean
12-28-2005, 00:34

This guy did that and no one noticed, he didn't tell a soul, except WF! And we all know wf would never make anything up:rolleyes: LOL:jump :D
I wish ol WF well, but Please