PDA

View Full Version : Section Hike beginning at Caledonia State Park, PA

skippysjs
07-07-2013, 23:09
My wife and I will begin a section hike at Caledonia State Park in several days. It seems the easiest access to the trail is at Route 30, but it doesn't appear to be the safest access. Does anyone have a better alternative to get on the trail in this area rather than a busy highway? We are hiking SOBO so it is our preference to move southbound to access the trail rather than northbound. Thanks in advance for any information passed along.

Gym-Rat & Gym-Mouse

Spirit Walker
07-07-2013, 23:21
Route 30 isn't a big deal. Caledonia is a fairly busy but small state park. There is a large hiker parking lot across the road from the park, or sometimes you can park in one of the lots within the park itself. You need to let them know if you are leaving a car there. The parking area is safe. The highway isn't all that dangerous. It's only two lanes, and there are signs that the trail crossing is near so people pay attention. It really isn't anything to worry about.

birchy
07-08-2013, 07:03
As stated above. AT hikers are asked to use the stone parking lot at the traffic light at the intersection of RT 30 and RT 233. You should inform the park office that you are leaving your car there. I would suggest a NOBO hike from RT 30. The shelters are nicer and there is more to see (Pine Grove Furnace at the AT museum, etc...). If you need a shuttle back to your vehicle call MT. ROSE (aka Terri) at 717 352 2279 she lives on Big Flat near the Shippensburg Rd trailhead.

birchy
07-08-2013, 07:11
Going SOBO your parking and access is limited to RT 233, (4) miles south of Calidonia where there is a small parking area for about 3 cars. The next safe access is at Old Forge Park (Picnic Area) just south of the Tumbling Run Shelter off of Old Forge Rd

Studlintsean
07-08-2013, 07:26
When I did a section SB from the park we left a car in the park with a note saying we were hiking. We picked the car up 3 days later with no issues.

mtnlady
07-08-2013, 08:35
When I did a section SB from the park we left a car in the park with a note saying we were hiking. We picked the car up 3 days later with no issues.

Yeah, that is what we usually do. I make a sign that says "AT HIKER" and the estimated date of our return. This is fine in an area where there is law enforcement patrols, but not suggested in a remote area, as in informs potential vandals that you are away for a few days.

skippysjs
07-08-2013, 12:27
Thanks for all the info. We are not leaving a car so parking is not an issue.

FarmerChef
07-08-2013, 17:36
Route 30 isn't a big deal. Caledonia is a fairly busy but small state park. There is a large hiker parking lot across the road from the park, or sometimes you can park in one of the lots within the park itself. You need to let them know if you are leaving a car there. The parking area is safe. The highway isn't all that dangerous. It's only two lanes, and there are signs that the trail crossing is near so people pay attention. It really isn't anything to worry about.

Agreed. You can navigate this successfully. If you are getting dropped off, though, you can pull over onto the generous shoulder and hop out there on the side you intend to depart from. No crossing necessary :D

Malto
07-08-2013, 20:13
Us 30 is no problem. I parked on the shoulder when I hiked south from there.