PDA

View Full Version : Another !!#$%*@!!! 60 day record attempt?

Just Bill
07-08-2013, 08:36
First off- Good luck toMatt “Freakin” Kirk on your attempt!

I couldn’t believeit. I mean Jen has covered somestretches really fast on this hike, but nothing like that. When I saw them, I said, “Wow! That was crazy fast!” Jen grinned, raised her poles over her headfor emphasis, and yelled, “I know right?! Matt-freakin’-Kirk’s here!”

“46 Days” Brew Davis

Whatfollows is the O’-fficial trip report of my Tune-Up Trip for a possible 2013Unsupported Speed Hike of the Appalachian Trail. I travelled from Amicalola Falls State Parkto Hot Springs, NC during this adventure, 310 miles(give or take a few.) The current record is held by Walt Leonardwith a time of 60.5 days to travel the length of the Appalachian Trail, roughly2,200 miles in length. SinceI took the briefest of notes, I only have memories, pictures and blisters toaid in the telling. So let’s just callthis a story, that way we don’t need to get too hung up on the details. Although no innocent people were involved,some names and details may have been changed for their protection and due to myfailure to remember a name for much longer than it takes you to say it tome. Fairwarning- this here’s for grown folks.

Who should read this report-?

People onWhite Blaze who have nothing better to do, curious people, future or currentspeed record candidates, and people with all ten digits (you pick hands orfeet- no mixing and matching).This link will take you directlyto the document:https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5onb5Hl3-VQMUlKN052TGhlWjA/edit?usp=sharing (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5onb5Hl3-VQMUlKN052TGhlWjA/edit?usp=sharing)It will bring you to a PREVIEWmode of the PDF file, click on download to be able to see the pics clearly andread it at your leisure. Sorry to makeyou jump around, but the doc is big and I wanted the pictures to remain in goodquality.For you stalkers, internetdetectives, or simply folks who want to see my gear list or other info; my blogis http://atrecord2013.blogspot.com/ (http://atrecord2013.blogspot.com/)if the link above is not working, there is a post on my blog to get to the tripreport as well.Thanks for the site!

I couldn’t believeit. I mean Jen has covered somestretches really fast on this hike, but nothing like that. When I saw them, I said, “Wow! That was crazy fast!” Jen grinned, raised her poles over her headfor emphasis, and yelled, “I know right?! Matt-freakin’-Kirk’s here!”

“46 Days” Brew Davis

Whatfollows is the O’-fficial trip report of my Tune-Up Trip for a possible 2013Unsupported Speed Hike of the Appalachian Trail. I travelled from Amicalola Falls State Parkto Hot Springs, NC during this adventure, 310 miles(give or take a few.) The current record is held by Walt Leonardwith a time of 60.5 days to travel the length of the Appalachian Trail, roughly2,200 miles in length. SinceI took the briefest of notes, I only have memories, pictures and blisters toaid in the telling. So let’s just callthis a story, that way we don’t need to get too hung up on the details. Although no innocent people were involved,some names and details may have been changed for their protection and due to myfailure to remember a name for much longer than it takes you to say it tome. Fairwarning- this here’s for grown folks.

Who should read this report-?

People onWhite Blaze who have nothing better to do, curious people, future or currentspeed record candidates, and people with all ten digits (you pick hands orfeet- no mixing and matching).This link will take you directlyto the document:https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5onb5Hl3-VQMUlKN052TGhlWjA/edit?usp=sharing (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5onb5Hl3-VQMUlKN052TGhlWjA/edit?usp=sharing)It will bring you to a PREVIEWmode of the PDF file, click on download to be able to see the pics clearly andread it at your leisure. Sorry to makeyou jump around, but the doc is big and I wanted the pictures to remain in goodquality.For you stalkers, internetdetectives, or simply folks who want to see my gear list or other info; my blogis http://atrecord2013.blogspot.com/ (http://atrecord2013.blogspot.com/)if the link above is not working, there is a post on my blog to get to the tripreport as well.Thanks for the site!

Rain Man
07-08-2013, 09:18
Spam? Looks like it to me.

Just Bill
07-08-2013, 09:28
LOL, not spam, just a dumbass backpacker not very good at posting on forums. Sorry for my sloppy cut and paste job! I don't have permission to edit the post to fix it (feel free if you do). The trip report is long, so I didn't know of a better way than this to share it. If you have concerns, you can reach the link through my blog so you can "check it out" without downloading a direct link if you're worried about spam. I wasn't trying to promote my blog; that's why I gave a direct link to the document. Like I mentioned, on the google docs you can preview it before you download it- another way to check it out without compromising your computer, but if you care to read it, download it so the pictures are at full resolution, otherwise they look pretty bad in the preview mode.

atraildreamer
07-08-2013, 10:03
Why did you use such a crappy, small font to post? These old eyes aren't getting any better! Larger type, bold it out and lose the italics!

Just Bill
07-08-2013, 10:25
LOL, sorry again- see above- "just a dumbass backpacker not very good at posting on forums." I feel like a Northbounder finishing my first day.

V Eight
07-08-2013, 18:20
I looked it over. Looks interesting, I bookmarked them and will return.
Thanks for posting it like you did. You are correct that is much to big of file to try to put in a post.

topshelf
07-08-2013, 18:26
when will people learn to just slow down and enjoy?

Mags
07-08-2013, 18:41

Well, seeing as this is the speed hiking forum, I am guessing most people go at a pace they enjoy. ;)

A better question is :

"When will people learn that there are many ways to enjoy the trail...and some are different from mine?" :)

/he's driving too fast!
//he's driving too slow!
///naturally, I'm driving the correct speed.

rocketsocks
07-08-2013, 18:45
You forgot to say damit

Malto
07-08-2013, 18:51

From this day forward everyone will hike at the same enjoyable speed. Topshelf, will you please provide that speed as well as break schedules, start time and end times so that we may all enjoy the trail as much as you.

hikerboy57
07-08-2013, 19:04
As a matter of fact why don't we just stop altogether

Just Bill
07-08-2013, 20:04
Now, now- he is totally right. If I had slowed down and enjoyed I would not have posted in the wrong thread. First I double paste my sloppy fonts, then on top of that it turns out this is not the Doc Bronner 32 ounce speed brushing forum...ARRGH. I should just quit this whole forum thing, I am horrible at it. (and my mouth is all tingly) I'm even too dumb to figure out how to rotate my picture.

hikerboy57
07-08-2013, 20:06
Now, now- he is totally right. If I had slowed down and enjoyed I would not have posted in the wrong thread. First I double paste my sloppy fonts, then on top of that it turns out this is not the Doc Bronner 32 ounce speed brushing forum...ARRGH. I should just quit this whole forum thing, I am horrible at it. (and my mouth is all tingly) I'm even too dumb to figure out how to rotate my picture.
you're doing it all wrong!!
welcome to the nuthouse

Just Bill
07-08-2013, 20:08
Thanks- There will always be a few bug bites, but that's no reason to stay home.

rocketsocks
07-08-2013, 20:16
Hey, nobody's perfect...nice selfie

topshelf
07-08-2013, 20:17
From this day forward everyone will hike at the same enjoyable speed. Topshelf, will you please provide that speed as well as break schedules, start time and end times so that we may all enjoy the trail as much as you.

never said it has to be the same speed, it just shouldnt be a race. to me its like sex, he who gets off first does not win.

AND since you asked Malto, I prefer to hike at around 3 miles per hour. I stop for 5 minutes every hour. So that's hiking for 55 minutes and then breaking for 5 minutes. Thats a nice 2.75 miles hiked every hour. I choose to leave camp at around 8AM, which means I will hike 11 miles by noon. I stop for 1 hour to eat lunch and relax. After lunch, I resume the same speed and hike another 4 hours, hiking another 11 miles. Which means I average 22 miles a day, give or take in order to find a nice spot to camp. After 5PM, I stop for dinner and relax, read a book or enjoy some nice conversation with those around me. This comes out to a nice 99-100 days of hiking to complete the trail, depending on the exact distance of the trail on any given year.

rocketsocks
07-08-2013, 20:25
never said it has to be the same speed, it just shouldnt be a race. to me its like sex, he who gets off first does not win.

AND since you asked Malto, I prefer to hike at around 3 miles per hour. I stop for 5 minutes every hour. So that's hiking for 55 minutes and then breaking for 5 minutes. Thats a nice 2.75 miles hiked every hour. I choose to leave camp at around 8AM, which means I will hike 11 miles by noon. I stop for 1 hour to eat lunch and relax. After lunch, I resume the same speed and hike another 4 hours, hiking another 11 miles. Which means I average 22 miles a day, give or take in order to find a nice spot to camp. After 5PM, I stop for dinner and relax, read a book or enjoy some nice conversation with those around me. This comes out to a nice 99-100 days of hiking to complete the trail, depending on the exact distance of the trail on any given year.
Whoa... Where's the fire, with numbers like those, folks 'ill think your speed hikin.:)

atmilkman
07-08-2013, 20:27
I've heard of this 55/5 method before. I know a lot of hikers that use this on the FNST in the winter of course. How many thrus have you done using this method and do you alter your hiking times during the hot weather?

Just Bill
07-08-2013, 20:28
That's an awesome pace, actually about the same as I like to go oddly enough. You may enjoy my trip report ;), you're only a few extra hours away from shattering a record. It does take a looongg time to read though, maybe after dinner you can read it.

Rasty
07-08-2013, 20:30

I'm especially interested in the break schedule. Will we have cookies?

Malto
07-08-2013, 20:33

Of course.... And cold milk and even someone to sing you a lullaby if you want. But only if Topshelf approves.

Mags
07-08-2013, 20:46
Whoa... Where's the fire, with numbers like those, folks 'ill think your speed hikin.:)

100 days to do the AT? Much too fast according to most people! :)

I was only kidding about "too fast, too slow, I'm just right"...looks like this not a joke at all!

HMHDI! (http://www.pmags.com/hike-my-hike-damn-it-hmhdi)

topshelf
07-08-2013, 20:48
Of course.... And cold milk and even someone to sing you a lullaby if you want. But only if Topshelf approves.

I'll bring the cookies if it makes you happy, just tell me what you want and I'll bring them. BYOM. No lullabies ever.

Also, I'll bring them as a peace offering. I realize I violated the sacred rule of HYOH. I also forgot whiteblaze.net is a place where opinions are to be shared by some, not all. I keep forgetting I am not one of those people who get to share their opinion.

I do wish Matt luck. I'm glad to see someone attempting the record who actually has experience in this sort of feat, who is not one of the typical jokers we see attempting it.

Mags
07-08-2013, 20:54
I also forgot whiteblaze.net is a place where opinions are to be shared by some, not all.

Anyone can share an opinion......and anyone can share an opinion on your opinion, too. :)

Goes both ways. Kinda how life works..dontchyaknow. Don't like it? Need a thicker skin and/or be less sheltered. ;)

hikerboy57
07-08-2013, 20:59
I also forgot whiteblaze.net is a place where opinions are to be shared by some, not all. I keep forgetting I am not one of those people who get to share their opinion

let us be the judge of that.

i think we're all pulling for him/doesnt mean any one of us actually would want to do it

Rasty
07-08-2013, 21:00

Topshelf is a meany. He said no lullabies.

atmilkman
07-08-2013, 21:01

I've heard of this 55/5 method before. I know a lot of hikers that use this on the FNST in the winter of course. How many thrus have you done using this method and do you alter your hiking times during the hot weather?

topshelf, I asked some serious questions and would also like to know your start dates. Did you go early to avoid heat or waited till later to avoid the cold. In your opinion which is the best time to start?

topshelf
07-08-2013, 21:24
topshelf, I asked some serious questions and would also like to know your start dates. Did you go early to avoid heat or waited till later to avoid the cold. In your opinion which is the best time to start?

I have never done a thru, I have never had the funds to complete a thru. I was going this year, but a few hundred dollars in the bank account makes it impossible. Ive only done most of the southern half. Cold and heat have no effect on my hiking pace. Snow is the only thing that slows me down. It cuts hiking pace in half. So I'd always start closer to the summer months...end of april to mid may.

Anyone can share an opinion......and anyone can share an opinion on your opinion, too. :)

Goes both ways. Kinda how life works..dontchyaknow. Don't like it? Need a thicker skin and/or be less sheltered. ;)

My skin is quite thick, my job demands it.

Just Bill
07-08-2013, 21:29
Hey- back to the original topic! Sorry, as mentioned this should have been on the Doc Bronner's speed brushing forum- but what are you going to do? Rocketsocks- It seems that based upon your signature line you have some experience with this sort of challenge. I am trying to break the 1 ounce per brush barrier, so that I can complete my quart in 32 days flat, but with the peppermint flavor my urine really burns if I try to go more than one ounce per day. Now I know that most folks prefer just to stick to a 1/4 ounce per brush, twice a day- but that's not what this record is about. I mean, just because a normal brusher takes 64 days to go though a quart of Doc Bronner's doesn't mean that should stop me from going for it. I still take the time to read all the good stuff on the label, and even ponder the meaning from time to time. I just really like to brush fast, that's all. Now yeah, I could go with lavender and avoid the burning, but Scott Williamson said that in order for it to count I have to use peppermint, so before you try to talk me off the peppermint or give me the "just use unscented" speech- it's not an option.

atmilkman
07-08-2013, 21:29
I have never done a thru, I have never had the funds to complete a thru. I was going this year, but a few hundred dollars in the bank account makes it impossible. Ive only done most of the southern half. Cold and heat have no effect on my hiking pace. Snow is the only thing that slows me down. It cuts hiking pace in half. So I'd always start closer to the summer months...end of april to mid may.

Right around the same time I'm thinking about.............................again.

Deerleg
07-08-2013, 21:34

... So let’s just call this a story, that way we don’t need to get too hung up on the details. ...
Like I really am just kidding?

Hike you own hike and go for it, I'm on scheduled to finish in 20... (years) :)

Malto
07-08-2013, 21:55

My skin is quite thick, my job demands it.

So you have a 100 day hike all figured out. It look so easy on an excel spreadsheet. Reality is a whole different story. There are those that talk and those that walk. Seems like you have a problem with someone doing what you are not able to do.

Alligator
07-08-2013, 22:22
I'll bring the cookies if it makes you happy, just tell me what you want and I'll bring them. BYOM. No lullabies ever.

Also, I'll bring them as a peace offering. I realize I violated the sacred rule of HYOH. I also forgot whiteblaze.net is a place where opinions are to be shared by some, not all. I keep forgetting I am not one of those people who get to share their opinion.

I do wish Matt luck. I'm glad to see someone attempting the record who actually has experience in this sort of feat, who is not one of the typical jokers we see attempting it. I don't know about all this...but what you did forget is to check the forum the the thread was in, in this case the Trail Running and Speed Hiking forum. Check the sticky on the forum for further reading;).

Just Bill
07-09-2013, 00:20
Keep on keeping on Brother!

Hike you own hike and go for it, I'm on scheduled to finish in 20... (years) :)[/QUOTE]

Rasty
07-09-2013, 00:27
null

Why so quick? :D

Just Bill
07-09-2013, 11:21
Like I really am just kidding?

Hike you own hike and go for it, I'm on scheduled to finish in 20... (years) :)I think I misunderstood your question- If you were asking if my post was a joke- the answer is no. I am honestly pursuing the record, I just don't see why we can't all have fun with it too. The line you quoted, is a bit of a jab at the naysayers- if you just read my trip report as a story, suspend disbelief/doubt, for a bit I think most backpackers, not just speedy ones, will enjoy it. If you read it as a report, well then it must be checked for errors, argued, debated, etc. In fact, why even read it say the naysayers- why not just argue right off the bat. I think if we all just took a bit of time to listen to one another, we'd all find we have quite a bit in common. If you were asking if I support Matt Kirk- the answer is a resounding yes!

atraildreamer
07-11-2013, 10:22

Irfan viewer, free app. Download at; http://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm
225242252522526 (http://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm)

rocketsocks
07-11-2013, 10:37
Hey- back to the original topic! Sorry, as mentioned this should have been on the Doc Bronner's speed brushing forum- but what are you going to do? Rocketsocks- It seems that based upon your signature line you have some experience with this sort of challenge. I am trying to break the 1 ounce per brush barrier, so that I can complete my quart in 32 days flat, but with the peppermint flavor my urine really burns if I try to go more than one ounce per day. Now I know that most folks prefer just to stick to a 1/4 ounce per brush, twice a day- but that's not what this record is about. I mean, just because a normal brusher takes 64 days to go though a quart of Doc Bronner's doesn't mean that should stop me from going for it. I still take the time to read all the good stuff on the label, and even ponder the meaning from time to time. I just really like to brush fast, that's all. Now yeah, I could go with lavender and avoid the burning, but Scott Williamson said that in order for it to count I have to use peppermint, so before you try to talk me off the peppermint or give me the "just use unscented" speech- it's not an option.To fully remove that nasty taste from your urine, and meet your goal of 32oz.

add six drops of Bronners to one once of urine....and run it through again!

repeat as necessary.

Just Bill
07-11-2013, 13:47
excellent plan, I would totally save time pumping water too! That's some solid ultra light philosophy there!

Just Bill
07-11-2013, 17:23
@ Mags- I am a big fan of HMHDI- I read it awhile back- I just wasn't a member here to say so. So now that I am- It's awesome, maybe somebody here could make it a sticky? Or, if I may even be so bold, make it required reading.