PDA

View Full Version : How Did You Make Time to Thru Hike?

glessed
07-27-2005, 18:55
A friend at work asked me how everybody arranges time to hike the entire AT.

Right now I am a section hiker (Very short distances by your standards). I do plan to go for it after I retire in two years.

The only ideas I could come up with were:

1. Already Retired

2. Independently wealthy (enough to cover mortgage payments, food for the family, etc.)

3. Just out of college

Please give me your real answers.

Thanks in advance.

Footslogger
07-27-2005, 19:07
I told my employer of my plans and asked for a leave of absence. The best they would offer was 3 months, the equivalent of male maternity leave. I respectfully resigned on the spot and gave them a one months notice, which I did fully work.

Ironically, when I got back from my hike (6 months and 10 days later) I called some of my old friends at work. Word got back to the business unit director and he offered me my old job back. I told him that if I wasn't good enough for a leave of absence then his job certainly wasn't something I needed ...especially after just spending 6+ months out of pocket.

I had a lot of second thoughts regarding my decision but this was something I had waited WAY too long to do. I've never looked back and I've never regretted my decision.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Lone Wolf
07-27-2005, 19:39
Made the right choices and decisions early on. It's all about choices.

jackiebolen
07-27-2005, 19:46
I finished college, worked for a year to make money and then off I went. After my hike, it was grad school time.

Heater
07-27-2005, 20:28
Made the right choices and decisions early on. It's all about choices.
I am a little behind you here. I am less than 3K of having my mortgage paid off but I have the vehicles and some other debt to pay for. Should have everything "free and clear" in less than two years at age 47.

My advice would be to get what you want early in life and don't worry about keeping up with the Jones'. I have seen so many of my friends that continue to mortgage themselves (aka upgrading) to the limit of their means and then some. They will forever be a slave to the banks. This leaves nothing for personal enjoyment. All their money is going to the "FatCats."

LIVE within your means and don't be a slave to the banks would be my advice.

Sly
07-27-2005, 20:38
It's a pretty simple concept, work, save money, quit work, hike! :)

Heater
07-27-2005, 20:51
It's a pretty simple concept, work, save money, quit work, hike! :)
That's my plan for '07 onward. :)

justusryans
07-27-2005, 21:01
I'm asking for a leave of absence in Feb. If I get it... cool! If not, I'm giving my 30 days and I'm out the door either way. We have been saving all year for our thru-hike. I agree with Lone Wolf, It's about choices.

Kembo
07-27-2005, 22:11
1972, No deferment, Vietnam era, 6 month delayed enlistment in the airforce. Went into basic in better shape than when I left. What a great hike.
Jeff

bailyrosco
07-28-2005, 13:02
No one said Save, Quit work, Divorce , and then Hike

Footslogger
07-28-2005, 13:11
Divorces are (can be) expensive and would eat up all your savings.

'Slogger

SGT Rock
07-28-2005, 13:12
Fake your death and collect th insurance:datz

Spirit Walker
07-28-2005, 13:57
I'm with Sly - three times I saved money for a few years, quit my job and went hiking. I hiked in 1988, 1992, 1999 and 2000. Now, five years later, we're planning to head out again. Only 8 months until I can give notice!

My husband took a leave of absence the first time. They told him that his job would probably not be open when he came back, but officially it would remain a LOA so he could keep his insurance. Sure enough, when he returned he had to look for a new job. The second time he just quit. Next time he'll retire.

It isn't easy starting over each time, not knowing where we'll live or what we'll do. It isn't easy putting everything in storage and giving up your home. (On previous hikes I was renting; this time we own a home and will either rent it out or sell it.) Going hiking with no clue what the future holds is interesting. It takes a certain leap of faith to take that kind of risk. But for some of us, it is worth it.

The majority of hikers are either at the beginning or end of their careers. But there are a fair number of us middle folks, who would rather hike than build a career, or continue a career that no longer gives pleasure. You'll meet a lot of burned out engineers and social workers on the trail.

icemanat95
07-28-2005, 14:43

Right now I am a section hiker (Very short distances by your standards). I do plan to go for it after I retire in two years.

The only ideas I could come up with were:

1. Already Retired

2. Independently wealthy (enough to cover mortgage payments, food for the family, etc.)

3. Just out of college

Please give me your real answers.

Thanks in advance.

I was between significant careers and had just ended my first marriage. I had no significant responsibilities and could make the time. This coincided nicely with a small inheritance from my grandparents which went directly into the gear and operating expenses fund.

soulrebel
07-28-2005, 16:34
Eating many baloney sandwiches and resorting to a college diet. I'm fortunate enough that I think I'll be able to get my job back--although I'm not sure I wanna do that (CTO). My wife is quitting a medical front office job, which isn't that big of a deal. It may be open when she gets back but no bigge.

home--I have a mortgage about a grand a month and I'll be saving up for that since there's no guarantees that a person will make it to katahdin.

Car-not sure what to do--it's paid for and 10 years old and I like it, so i'm hoping my parents can keep it and maybe drive it once a week---

kids---my daughter doesn't live with us so...we're free except our kitties/birds ---once again hopefully my parents will take them--- gonna miss them horribly...

$$$---after all the expensive crap I've been buying--the trip is now unaffordable-I think we'll return it all and hike the whole thing buck nekkid...
Actually, just got out of cc debt 18 months ago---hopefully my budget sheet can push out an extra grand a month for the trip-- 30 something and time ain't slowing down..

...spoiled rotten and often found ruining the bunch...

the reason I'm going now---my neck, shoulders, back can't take another 10 years @ the computer--so I have to take a break if I want to continue in this field...

Blue Jay
07-28-2005, 18:14

Actually it is very easy once you realize you only have a limited number of ticks on the clock. In fact minutes are truly the only thing you actually do own. Most people by things, I prefer to buy freedom.

dream
07-28-2005, 18:30
I told my employer of my plans and asked for a leave of absence. The best they would offer was 3 months, the equivalent of male maternity leave. I respectfully resigned on the spot and gave them a one months notice, which I did fully work.

Good for you! I know it doesn't put money in your pocket or food on the table but, for what it is worth I admire you for following your dream and sticking to your guns. Thanks for posting. You are a personal hero of mine.

Footslogger
07-28-2005, 18:39
Good for you! I know it doesn't put money in your pocket or food on the table but, for what it is worth I admire you for following your dream and sticking to your guns. Thanks for posting. You are a personal hero of mine.=================================
Thanks, but I will tell you my one regret in terms of the AT ...not having followed my dream when I was younger.

Better late than never, I guess.

All the best ...

'Slogger

Auntie Mame
08-29-2005, 23:17
I think Spiritwalker and SoulRebel are onto the key points: resisting the urge to buy new cars and add onto the house can really free up some time and $ for trips in the woods. Its great when both spouses like to hike, thus encourage each other in these matters. It is also easier, as so many have said, when family obligations are minimal. We have two sons out on their own, and only one living parent, who is in great health. Beginning to plan for March '07, GA to ME.

AbeHikes
08-30-2005, 00:28

Ironically, when I got back from my hike (6 months and 10 days later) I called some of my old friends at work. Word got back to the business unit director and he offered me my old job back. I told him that if I wasn't good enough for a leave of absence then his job certainly wasn't something I needed ...especially after just spending 6+ months out of pocket.
Wow. I REALLY like that. Surely you were prepared to quit when you gave your notice the first time. "Don't bluff unless you can go through with it" kind of thing...

I've had more than one employer try to play hardball with me in similar situations. The only job I ever had a hard time finding was this last one and I still didn't have it as bad as some others.

I have to say it again. I REALLY like that.

fiddlehead
08-30-2005, 23:30
It's all about priorities! would you rather work or hike? easy answer right? just do it!
I rented my house out to others for 7 years and hiked almost every one of those years. Now my house is paid off and i didn't have to work much to hike. just enough for food and town stops. How much do you need?

Freighttrain
08-31-2005, 07:15
for me, its about choices and consequences.

I never had any kids so there are none to support, I own a duplex home that is paid for so there is no mortage, car is old and paid for so there are no car payments... when im away the bills drop to next to nothing ... most services are easy enough to postpone till returning... when im home i live on the cheap so i can afford to get out again...

skeeterfeeder
08-31-2005, 08:34
How do you afford to do a thru-hike?, was the most common question I received on the trail. My answer was always, 'Life is a series of choices". Most didn't understand that because they couldn't think outside the box. Look at a 'Thing' as a ball and chain. The more you have, the less freedom you have. And then decide which is more important; the freedom to do, or the security of having?
And either answer is right, if it makes you happy.

Moxie00
08-31-2005, 10:02
I retired at 61 and did it no problem, my wife retired at 60 and "thru hiked" New Zealand, North Island to South Island, no established trail. Our kids are grown, we have car paymants but no mortgage. Alot of friends either took leaves of absence or just put their house in order and quit their jobs. My best friend on the trail, "Arrow", had her husband work and she hiked. After her hike they started their family. There were several computor geeks out there who knew they could find work when they got done and a few people were self employed and scheduled their work around their hikes. One farmer friend had his wife milk the cows but took time off the trail and went home to get his hay in. Several teachers and students took one semester off and were able to fit their thru hike in. If you want to thru hike as much as most of us you can and will find a way . In 100 years who is going to remember that you quit your job and let your family starve and your house get taken by the town for overdue taxes while you hiked.

the goat
08-31-2005, 14:54
Originally posted by Footslogger
I told my employer of my plans and asked for a leave of absence. The best they would offer was 3 months, the equivalent of male maternity leave. I respectfully resigned on the spot and gave them a one months notice, which I did fully work......rock on footslogger!!
My first hike was when i finished college. my second was on the spur of the moment, in mid- May of '03 i told my boss i was gone in two weeks to hike south from Maine. he told me if i waited a month until July, he would personally drive me to katahdin....he did too!!!!....all the way from virginia, a 44-hour round-trip, 22 hours of it w/ me and my smelly-ass dog!:banana

Chickety
08-31-2005, 20:57
Another LOA here.

The year before the hike, I saved up some cash, paid off the car and became determined that this was something I wanted to do.

Someone once told me, "You have to make it happen" and that's exactely what I did. I go back to my full time job..........eeek, tomorrow!

neighbor dave
09-03-2005, 06:40
quit my job.

hiked for 153 days and had a blast!!!
now i have the same job back.
i guess i have a boss that not only understands,but also isn't a control freak!!!!
i figure if the people at my work don't want to see me do some of the things i'd like to do in my life,then i don't want to work there to begin with!!

Jack Straw
09-04-2005, 00:51
#3 as of May 11th or so, pending I don't fail any classes

Nean
09-04-2005, 09:45
We have all been given the same amount of time in a day, month, year... How, where, why we use it depends on our desire.:sun