PDA

View Full Version : Favorite day hikes in RMNP

Marta
07-08-2013, 22:50
I'm about to desert my post in Glacier NP and journey to Colorado for a few days. I should have three days for day hiking in Rocky Mountain NP. I'm looking for suggestions in the 10-15 miles range, moderate. I'm more of a walker than a climber--I don't like to use my hands for anything except holding hiking poles.

Suggestions?

Mags
07-08-2013, 23:06
This classic CCY hike is off-trail tundra walking, but super easy...nothing technical:
http://www.estesparkmountainshop.com/Hikes/CCY_Route.htm

The Mummy Range is my favorite in the park and this really takes it in. "Only" 8 miles, but a good amount of elevation gain.

A popular hike, but probably not too bad on a weekday is Bear Lake - Flattop with another easy off-trail (obvious use trail) to Hallet Peak.

Small glaciers can be seen, alpine lakes and exquisite views:
http://www.protrails.com/trail/rocky-mountain-national-park-hallett-peak

At 10 miles and 3200' r/t, (and the elevation) a very solid day hike!

After all this tundra and above treeline, perhaps time for a lake loop? At about 13 miles, this loop takes in 5 different sub-alpine lakes. The views from Odessa Lake to Little Matterhorn are awesome.
http://www.protrails.com/trail/rocky-mountain-national-park-5-lake-loop-bearheleneodessaferncub

FWIW, I look doing this route in reverse of what is said above. Hiking down from Odessa to Bear Lake is more mellow IMO.

These ideas are assuming you are on the Estes Park side of RMNP. If you are on the Grand Lake side, let me know! :)

Marta
07-08-2013, 23:17
Excellent! Thanks! Looks like a nice variety of hike suggestions.

Should I expect mosquitoes or ticks this time of year?

Marta
07-08-2013, 23:21
I'll definitely have to consider the elevation. I'm "only" at 3800' here, and normally hiking under 7k. :-)

Mags
07-08-2013, 23:32
re: Elevation

Estes Park itself is at 7500'. Many of the trailheads in the park start at 8500' ft. :O

Another loop that is lower in elevation if the Twin Owls Loop. It is a favorite Fall hike of mine..could be a little warm in the summer.
http://www.protrails.com/trail/rocky-mountain-national-park-twin-owls-loop

It is relatively lower in elevation though. Could be a way to acclimate a bit. The views from the meadows are quite nice. The lakes are pleasant, too.
BONUS: You go by the historic Stanley Hotel. It is where Stephen King wrote The Shining.

One of my favorite "View to effort ratio hikes" is Deer Mtn. "Only" 10k ft or so in elevation, the views to Longs Peak and the Mummy Range are awesome. It is only 6 miles or so R/T, so it may be another great acclimation hike..just with some really killer views.
http://www.protrails.com/trail/96/rocky-mountain-national-park-deer-mountain

Mosquitoes: Near the lower elevation lakes? Moderate. Otherwise, no.
Ticks: Never had a problem.

Marta
07-08-2013, 23:58
So many hikes;so little time. It's going to be tough to choose. Good idea to do one of the flatter hikes first. See how that goes, then up my game.

What's the snow line these days? I'm not planning to bring ice axe, etc.

Do hikers normally carry bear spray? I can't fly with mine, and don't relish buying more.

I think I'll be okay with the elevation. I'll just take it even slower than normal. If I charge my camera battery and bring an empty SD card, the pacing issue will probably take care of itself.

Mags
07-09-2013, 00:52
Only snow in patches for the most part..esp on the non-technical routes. Bear spray not needed. Only black bears around here. :)

Marta
07-09-2013, 00:58
Sounds like a walk in the Park. I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for your help.

Marta
07-20-2013, 00:33
Well no wonder people don't carry bear spray here--there are only 20-25 black bears in the whole Park! I think your chance of getting struck by lightning is greater than that of seeing a bear.

But I'm having a fabulous time! I can see bears when I go home.

Mags
07-20-2013, 08:14
I have seen bears in the Boulder foothills, (the TH is maybe 10 minutes from here)!but never in the park! Have a blast.

nastynate
07-20-2013, 09:44
I hiked to Sky Pond 2 summers ago. It was beautiful and not crowded. Saw 2 black bears in the park, but it was close to the road on the way out of the park.

Marta
07-21-2013, 00:30
Great day in the Park today.

I forgot to bring my route description with me, so I improvised a route I will call the 8-Lake Hike. From the Glacier Gorge trailhead, I went via Alberta Falls up the Loch Vale Trail to the Sky Pond Trail. Then back down and across to Lake Haiyaha to Dream Lake, Emerald Lake, Nymph Lake, and finally Bear Lake. I have no idea what the mileage was, or the elevation change, but there was quite a lot of climbing and descending. A very nice day of walking it was.

The lakes:
1) The Loch
2) Glass Lake
3) Sky Pond
4) Lake Haiyaha
5) Dream Lake
6) Emerald Lake
7) Nymph Lake
8) Bear Lake

nastynate--You saw 1/12th of the Park's entire bear population!

nastynate
07-21-2013, 07:48
I even got a picture but it was at dusk and they were about 75 yards away so it looks like two dark lumps.

Emerald Lake was beautiful too. Hiking in glacier snow and up freezing waterfalls in July was an unforgettable experience for this Midwesterner.