PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a place to visit after katahdin

Zippy Morocco
07-09-2013, 08:14
Hi all,
My hiking partner/sweetheart and I are about 2 weeks from finishing the Appalachian Trail in Maine... very excited! We are thinking about transition time afterward. Does anybody know of an affordable/lower-priced, private place where a couple could stay for five days or so somewhere in the northeast? Maybe a forest service cabin, house-sit, beach house etc.? Any ideas? Thanks so much!

Zippy and Diddo

DavidNH
07-09-2013, 08:18
private yes affordable no. I'd suggest a cottage or Inn on shore of Moosehead Lake. Won't be cheap though.

coach lou
07-09-2013, 08:21
Go to the Maine Coast North of Booth Bay Harbor....Pemiquid, The Camden Hills Area, even Acadia. It will be such culture shock!!!! You Montanans have to see the Maine coast!!!!!

RLC_FLA
07-09-2013, 15:53
While you're up there be sure to make a point of going to Freeport and stop in at LL Bean, open 24/7

jeffmeh
07-09-2013, 17:08
While you're up there be sure to make a point of going to Freeport and stop in at LL Bean, open 24/7

And if you make it to Freeport, and you are an omnivore, head down to Portland to a restaurant called "Duck Fat" and get a charcuterie plate and an order of poutine with a fried duck egg. They usually have some good local beers on tap as well.

peakbagger
07-09-2013, 17:40
Vacation season is pricey in Maine. A cabin is even tougher.

Things are decidedly quieter north Acadia National Park. If you want to visit remote maine coast try this place http://www.maine.gov/doc/nrimc/mgs/explore/bedrock/sites/jun10.htm

Zippy Morocco
07-11-2013, 20:11
Thank you all for the suggestions. We were will research these spots while we are doing laundry tomorrow.

Driver8
07-12-2013, 01:40
Acadia NP would be great to visit, but lodging near there wouldn't be cheap. Campgrounds nearby could be more affordable, though. Heck, check with the park, and you might luck out and get camping spot there. I've enjoyed following y'all through Diddo's blog since meeting you in SW Mass. She is a fine writer, indeed, as you said, Zippy. :)

Cookerhiker
07-18-2013, 20:02
Another vote for Acadia National Park - the only part of the Maine coast that's not cluttered with development.

Dogwood
07-18-2013, 20:07
Another vote for Acadia NP and the surrounding area. This NP doesn't get the recognition it justly deserves. The shorelines are some of the prettiest in all of N America! You'll be used to camping by then so camp and hunker down under a roof to mix up the costs.

bobtomaskovic
07-19-2013, 01:06
Fundy NP in Canada is nice. Acadia is fantastic.