PDA

View Full Version : Twinkies Will Last Longer Than Before When They Hit Shelves Again

WingedMonkey
07-09-2013, 09:37
First, a disclaimer. I'm a Moon Pie man. Sometimes a Little Debbie. Not a Twinkies fan.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/08/twinkies-shelf-life-longer_n_3562287.html

Hostess Brands LLC says the spongy yellow cakes will have a shelf life of 45 days when they start hitting shelves again July 15. That's nearly three weeks longer than the 26 days the previous owner had stated as the shelf life for Twinkies.

The New York Post also reported last week that Hostess will start freezing some of its cakes to extend their shelf life. That means that Twinkies would be delivered to stores frozen so retailers can stamp their own expiration dates on the cakes.

As to whether the freezing would affect the taste, Arnold said in a statement that "any suggestion that Hostess is changing the integrity of the iconic snack cakes consumers have loved is completely untrue."

Yeah, sure it won't.:rolleyes:

atmilkman
07-09-2013, 09:58
First, a disclaimer. I'm a Moon Pie man. Sometimes a Little Debbie. Not a Twinkies fan.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/08/twinkies-shelf-life-longer_n_3562287.html

Hostess declined to say which retailers (about 10%) requested the frozen twinkies. What do you think the chances are that Walmart is that whole 10%. I'm a moonpie man too. Double Decker Banana with a chocolate milk.

zelph
07-09-2013, 10:46
One more item to dip into your peanut butter.:)

Rasty
07-09-2013, 11:19

Hostess declined to say which retailers (about 10%) requested the frozen twinkies. What do you think the chances are that Walmart is that whole 10%. I'm a moonpie man too. Double Decker Banana with a chocolate milk.

I would think it's a low volume retailer. Freezers cost money to run and Walmart is really cost adverse.

Rocket Jones
07-09-2013, 11:30
According to local news reports, some bread already arrives frozen to the stores. This isn't a new process, just new for Twinkies.

Gray Blazer
07-09-2013, 11:30
It's about time we received some good news.

Rolls Kanardly
07-10-2013, 15:06
Yes to Moon Pies and yes to Little Debbie's and yes to Twinkies. How ever in my house the shelf life of a box of Moon Pies or Little Debbie's or Twinkies is about 2 days so what difference does it make if Twinkie's go to 45 days. The shelf life helps out the manufacture more than anyone else since they do not have to pull 'out of code' product off the shelves as often. Also I think an empty freezer runs more often (maybe a HVAC person will step in on this one.)

Sailing_Faith
07-10-2013, 15:10
I just figured they were better since they were no longer uxxxxx xxxx...... :)

On edit: Voluntary edit to avoid political spin....

Teacher & Snacktime
07-12-2013, 22:28
[QUOTE=atmilkman;1499163]Hostess declined to say which retailers (about 10%) requested the frozen twinkies. What do you think the chances are that Walmart is that whole 10%. I'm a moonpie man too. Double Decker Banana with a chocolate milk.[../QUOTE]

Absolutely no chance whatsoever.....the Walmart turnover is so fast that it would be inefficient to add another step to the process (defrosting). Also, Walmart does not inventory or supply their own product, as it is handled by a vendor staff (like in the grocery). This info comes directly from Walmart corporate.

It is more likely that convenience chains would request the frozen product, as their turnover is slower.

rocketsocks
07-12-2013, 23:58
I just figured they were better since they were no longer uxxxxx xxxx...... :)

On edit: Voluntary edit to avoid political spin.... uxxxx xxxx???

Sailing_Faith
07-13-2013, 00:01
Union made???

Hey, I did not say it!

rocketsocks
07-13-2013, 00:25
Hey, I did not say it!me either, but thanks for fixin it for me :D