PDA

View Full Version : REI Travel Sack

gumball
07-28-2005, 06:27
We are doing about a 90 mile section next week in NJ, and I am hammocking. I have been using a Kelty down sleeping bag (can't think of the name) which is very light weight, rated at 25 degrees--but only has half a zipper. This is problematic when I want to use the bag as a quilt rather than a bag.

I am considering the REI travel sack--but am a little fearful that, like many bags, its rating at 55 degrees really means 65 degrees. For those of you who have used it, do you think it would be sufficient for an early August hike in a hammock? I am a cooler sleeper, but can put some UnderArmour on when I sleep--I just know I do sleep a little cooler in the hammock.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Footslogger
07-28-2005, 10:57
For what it's worth ...I carried the REI Travel Sack on my thru in 2003 from Pearisburg, VA to Glencliff, NH. First couple nights out of Pearisburg were a little brisk (and I was using my Hennessey Hammock at that time) so I added some layers of clothing to sleep in. After that the bag performed well. I opted to send the hammock home shortly thereafter though because I like being able to spread out more in a tent at night. But the Travel Sack, on top of a 3/4 thermarest ultralight pad, was more than sufficient for the remainder of the hike until I switched out gear in Glencliff.

Since then, the Travel Sack has become my summer bag. Also ...my wife has one and is using it (as we speak) on her section hike in Mass and VT

Hope that helps ...

'Slogger
AT 2003

Rain Man
07-28-2005, 14:57

I used one on my first AT section hike a couple of years ago in Georgia in August.

Honestly? I returned it to REI. I was chilly at night and didn't feel the bag did enough to justify carrying it over all those mountains. Plus, it wasn't multi-purpose. I'd rather carry an extra pound and be WARM and get the sleep I need at night.

It's all a trade-off.

Rain:sunMan

neo
07-28-2005, 15:02
i use an rei travel sack and i love it,it work great in my hammock and have used
it down to 45 dergees with no problem:cool: neo

http://www.rei.com/product/11429496.htm

tlbj6142
07-28-2005, 16:23
My brother used the REI Travel Down (not Sack) as his summer bag on this AT'04 thru and loved it. Tried a Army Poncho liner first, but found it too awkard and/or drafty. Since the travel sack is a "real" sleeping bag, you can close-up the hood, etc. on cold nights.

I do wish the zipper was a few inches longer and/or the footbox had its own zipper (to vent on hot nights).

Ooops! My brother used the REI Travel Down bag not the Travel Sack. Sorry.

Footslogger
07-28-2005, 16:30
Ooops! My brother used the REI Travel Down bag not the Travel Sack. Sorry.=================================
The REI Travel Down bag is rated 10 degrees warmer than the Travel Sack and weighs one ounce less. Then again ...it costs $40 more than the Travel Sack.

Might be worth it if you need a little more warmth and don't mind paying the $99. The Travel Down bag wasn't available for my thru in 2003.

'Slogger

Lilred
07-28-2005, 16:41
We are doing about a 90 mile section next week in NJ, and I am hammocking. I have been using a Kelty down sleeping bag (can't think of the name) which is very light weight, rated at 25 degrees--but only has half a zipper. This is problematic when I want to use the bag as a quilt rather than a bag.

I am considering the REI travel sack--but am a little fearful that, like many bags, its rating at 55 degrees really means 65 degrees. For those of you who have used it, do you think it would be sufficient for an early August hike in a hammock? I am a cooler sleeper, but can put some UnderArmour on when I sleep--I just know I do sleep a little cooler in the hammock.

I just used the REI 55 degree travel sack from Newfound Gap to Erwin and it performed very well for me. Only one night was I chilly and I believe the temps were closer to 50 that night, or less. That was the night I only wore a t-shirt, not my long johns, which I wore every other night with the bag.

I have to warn you though, it also only has a half zipper, but it's a great little bag. Rain Man, you're nuts not to like this bag, but oh wait, you're nuts anyhow.................nevermind. ;)